• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is anyone else Ok with less than perfect performance?

audiopile

I sold and serviced a ton -maybe two? of speakers that I personally didn't want to own and didn't particularly enjoy listening to over the years.One of the least perfect was a speaker the store I worked at at the start of my audio career always had on "sale" for buy one at 99 bucks-get the second for 1 cent. But hitch hiking around my city taught me a lessen - I kept getting rides from guys who had bought a pair of those speakers from me and LOVED them . What was important was they listened to music thru them a lot. Over the next 50 years I sold a fair number of those guys speakers that they and I both thought sounded better. (believe me -not a big challenge). But to this day-this is what counts to me -how much time do you spend listening to music. The perfectionist customer mostly finds the flaws so objectionable that he can't enjoy music thru his not quit perfect system. The customer who simply has music as part of their life was way more likely to wander into my store and say "hey John -have you heard ............'and be talking about a piece of music -not the the latest fabulously expensive piece of audio bling. And this is still the apparently un -measured -maybe unmeasurable test that counts for me -if i add or subtract some component from my system and either listen more or less to music -that influences whether that component finds a home with me ( and of course what the pickins have been like out of the local dumpsters :) .

Katji

Major Contributor
And this is still the apparently un -measured -maybe unmeasurable test that counts for me -if i add or subtract some component from my system and either listen more or less to music -that influences whether that component finds a home with me
Previous forum mod Thomas said the same - or very similar. Evaluate over time, check whether you're listening to music more or less.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Previous forum mod Thomas said the same - or very similar. Evaluate over time, check whether you're listening to music more or less.

In the good old vinyl days we said: You know that you have a serious problem if you have more test LP's than music LP's. ;)

syn08

Yes. My system sounds very, very good to me. I suppose it's the same with most audiophiles, their current systems fits their preferences.

I don't feel an urge to talk about my sound preferences, or to be told about others.

Katji

Major Contributor
This because i used to be on a local (ZA) Fb group for building PA speakers.* The boss/admin was teaching people, including why it was worth the extra $ to use Faital Pro / 18sound.
Oh, the other thing was that he always explained - and would demo it - that 1 Faital Pro or 18sound could do SPL like 2 of the cheap speakers.

Actually this not very OT, :) because it does relate to accepting less than perfect performance.

* Parties too much here. Yard parties, Sunday car wash.
So people buy many of the cheap speakers, especially the DIXON brand of the Cash Crusader franchise. And people drink and speakers blow. Constant business of repairing those voice coils. Because that is all they can afford. Then the next step, if there is money, is to go to big PA dealers and buy next level up. And aspire to get JBL.
Same with the amps.
No money. Choice is between no parties no music or buy cheap gear.

* Where else you get police dancing like this? gotta love it.
National Womens Day, August 2020 ... @tomtoo this is the beach ;) and August is winter. LOL

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jukka

Nice! Looks you are not from the 3inch fullrange fraction. :)
I show this to wife, small and cutesy:
IMG_20211204_171235~2.jpg

Point of view can make 10" look small.

Final setup, taller than my kid:
IMG_20211204_171522~3.jpg

The horn works wonders to directivity, this is surprisingly good even at the desk that is between these two stacks. Main listening position is at the couch.

My current apartment has more space than the one that I originally planned these for, so there is a chance of building something bigger. I would really need more bass output from subs, they distort way earlier than the mains. That's what you get when the compression driver+horn is rated at 110 dB/W and having 25 NCore Watts on tap

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Then the only thing you have experienced in your life as imperfect so far is possible channel unbalance on your headphones that we don't know the make and model.

Others were most likely perfect until you callously broke them but still have the tenacity to complain.
Not sure how you think I am complaining about it.
In the case of both of the speakers I owned up to causing the damage myself and how that has made them "less than perfect".
The original post is asking "is anyone else ok with less than perfect performance?" and I have mentioned a few times now I am happy with the sound I am getting.

Did you really think I was complaining about an issue I am having after being responsible for it?

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious, but interesting, question ...
'perfect' as in could not be bettered, as good as it gets - then, no, that doesn't exist and you'll go crazy chasing that (although, that's also what keeps some people interested :) )
Perfect, as OP defined it - just working as designed and not broken - is absolutely what I'd expect. Anything less and I'd be replacing it.

No problems enjoying music on whatever is around me though: the gear is never as important as the music.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I show this to wife, small and cutesy:
View attachment 214890
Point of view can make 10" look small.

Final setup, taller than my kid:
View attachment 214891

The horn works wonders to directivity, this is surprisingly good even at the desk that is between these two stacks. Main listening position is at the couch.

My current apartment has more space than the one that I originally planned these for, so there is a chance of building something bigger. I would really need more bass output from subs, they distort way earlier than the mains. That's what you get when the compression driver+horn is rated at 110 dB/W and having 25 NCore Watts on tap
Thats how grown up speakers should look like. ;)

Whats in the subs? Is it a closed design??

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how you think I am complaining about it.
In the case of both of the speakers I owned up to causing the damage myself and how that has made them "less than perfect".
The original post is asking "is anyone else ok with less than perfect performance?" and I have mentioned a few times now I am happy with the sound I am getting.

Did you really think I was complaining about an issue I am having after being responsible for it?
I apologise. I misread your post. I was wrong to post what I did. I’m sincerely sorry.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jukka

Thats how grown up speakers should look like. ;)

Whats in the subs? Is it a closed design??
The subs are commercial origin, Arendal Sound 1723 Subwoofer 1.
Yes, this system is all closed design. It goes to 20 Hz and a little lower, but retains very clean and easily distinguishable reproduction of notes. All ported designs I've heard lose this "definition" ability and turn into mumbling when port noise takes over. And port noise does take over rather soon. This system can handle bragging to friends

Top Bottom