• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is anyone else Ok with less than perfect performance?

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is not that hard getting enjoyable performance out of any reasonable system - this from a subjective standpoint. The frustrating part is realizing how flawed/different various music releases can be - due to the different choices in mastering.

So, compromises are not only related to the playback system, but to the “quality” of the source material as well.
Yes I don't exactly have the largest collection of music, but I have come across a few tracks which just sound odd due to "bad" mastering.
I say bad because I can remember a few which were just plain dreadful.

Katji

Major Contributor
So are the unaffordable speakers
It is not that hard getting enjoyable performance out of any reasonable system - this from a subjective standpoint. The frustrating part is realizing how flawed/different various music releases can be - due to the different choices in mastering.

So, compromises are not only related to the playback system, but to the “quality” of the source material as well.
One thing I really like about..."computer music"/audio files is that I can delete files instead of wondering whether to throw out the CD. Given that I can get shedloads of 128 kbps music for free [or the cost of the internet/download]. That after listening to the badly produced mix or whatever and eventually deciding that it's too bad.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I listen to music. If i need full attention and direct ab switching to have the impression there is a tiny difference.? I dont care a shiit. Couse in 99,999 percent of all listening situations i have not full attention to technical details and i dont ab switch.

Katji

Major Contributor
I listen to music. If i need full attention and direct ab switching to have the impression there is a tiny difference.? I dont care a shiit. Couse in 99,999 percent of all listening situations i have not full attention to technical details and i dont ab switch.
I have never done it, and for the same reason/s. And I never will, because I don't need to prove or demonstrate to myself what is already established by experts [and so on.]

By the way, when you were listening to *that* music, how was the soundstage and the imaging? ;)
Oh yes, it was like being at a beach... :)
preview.jpg

I'm not sure about the importance of having the perfect proportions of ingredients in the drink. :)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I have never done it, and for the same reason/s. And I never will, because I don't need to prove or demonstrate to myself what is already established by experts [and so on.]

By the way, when you were listening to *that* music, how was the soundstage and the imaging? ;)
Oh yes, it was like being at a beach... :)
preview.jpg

I'm not sure about the importance of having the perfect proportions of ingredients in the drink. :)

See *that* music i can enjoy. I can enjoy lofi 8bit sounds. What do you thing how big the influence of my speaker cable is on that 8bit sounds?? ;)

And how much thd is on the samples already? If my amp has then 0.0x thd or 0.00x thd makes any difference? ;)

It takes me to the beach, and thats the importend part of the music. :)
Remember when Amir tested that JBL PA speaker, and his wife came in and started dancing. Dont think she cared much about that 3dB plus at 15Khz,

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies to all for not defining "perfect".
By "perfect" I mean "as a product performs out of the box without any faults".

Most of my audio equipment has some kind of flaw in performance.

Some caused by myself, some not.

My headphones came with channel imbalance.

Then the only thing you have experienced in your life as imperfect so far is possible channel unbalance on your headphones that we don't know the make and model.

Others were most likely perfect until you callously broke them but still have the tenacity to complain.

Jukka

I can tolerate a faulty compression driver in my table speakers for working where I'm using them with VoIP software, but could not tolerate it when using them for music.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I can tolerate a faulty compression driver in my table speakers for working where I'm using them with VoIP software, but could not tolerate it when using them for music.

A compression driver on table speakers???

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Depends on if the flaws are heard and/or what I paid.

Interesting design decission. What is this a 6inch midbass?
Looks like Scanspeak woofer

Midwest Blade

Throughout the years I am pretty sure the performance of my systems are pretty satisfactory. Naturally all of this is within my control. What I have noticed and had tested is my hearing which is still pretty normal for my 61 years of age. This is not in our control other than making sure we don’t get exposed to potential hearing damage without proper protection.

The question we all face one day is chasing audio performance as our hearing ages and what is the balance to how much we invest in equipment.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That's 8", Eighteensound 8MB500. This is rather common design pattern with horn loaded CDs and PA elements, because you can stretch the crossover to around 1500 Hz and match radiation pattern nicely.
View attachment 214768

Ah, ok a 8inch pro driver with a 1inch comp driver. Sure this things can go loud. :) Not a typical desktop speaker. More a small top for a littel gig. Combined with a 15inch sub. On the desktop they can easy blow your brain to the backwall. :)

Last edited:

Jukka

How come that you decidet to put something like this on your desktop?
I was going to sell and DIY something smaller, but haven't got the chance yet. Main system is upgraded to something more capable: a better quality 1" horn loaded CD and a 10" midbass and going fully active with Hypex plates.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I was going to sell and DIY something smaller, but haven't got the chance yet. Main system is upgraded to something more capable: a better quality 1" horn loaded CD and a 10" midbass and going fully active with Hypex plates.

The 10 inch also from 18 sound?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yes, this build is all-Eighteensound: NSD1095N, XT1086 and 10NMB430. Italians make good speaker drivers, I can name more Iltalian pro-makers than all others combined lol!

Nice! Looks you are not from the 3inch fullrange fraction. :)

Katji

Major Contributor
Faital Pro the only other one I can think of now.
This because i used to be on a local (ZA) Fb group for building PA speakers.* The boss/admin was teaching people, including why it was worth the extra $ to use Faital Pro / 18sound. Eventually he quit the business because with the failed currency, no-one could afford them. So now the only way is to import them yourself, + courier. :-s

Top Bottom