• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is anyone else Ok with less than perfect performance?

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
- By "perfect" I mean "as a product performs out of the box without any faults".

Most of my audio equipment has some kind of flaw in performance.

Some caused by myself, some not.

My headphones came with channel imbalance. I thought it was just positioning but I can still hear it until today. I just do my best to find a good position on my head to minimise the issue and listen to my music.

When setting up my backloaded horn full range speakers I “dropped” one a bit too strongly on my bed. Turns out that speaker lost all high frequency above 14Khz, I think the voice coil became misaligned.

A few months ago I was vacuuming and poked one of my studio monitor woofers with medium force, pretty sure I have impacted something and affected the woofer.
I haven’t measured it since then but I can hear a dip in the crossover point that I cannot hear on the other “good” speaker.

The only “perfectly well” performing audio equipment I have is my IEM’s. And I rarely use them.

But the problems are minor and so insignificant. And any larger perception of an issue I can get used to.

I am still very happy listening to music. No need to replace anything and create more waste.

Anyone else just happy with their less than perfect equipment?

Last edited:
OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Less than perfect? Sure, maybe.

Actually broken? Absolutely not.
Thank you for your response.
Glad to hear someone else thinks this way.

It’s definitely not broken. I would say between 5~10% in sound quality loss.
When the music is good, and you know most of the world is largely imperfect you can accept these problems.

Plcamp

No, it must be absolutely perfect and I will never listen to this thing you call ‘music’ until it is.

Until then, it’s backyard birds who’s repertoire, while limited, is at least full fidelity.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

I bet for many of us, the minimum accidental damage with no consequence in the performance is the PERFECT excuse to buy something new :D
With my studio monitors they sell them in single units, so yes I could easily replace one with a new unit, but I don’t feel it as a “need”.

At first when hearing the damaged speaker some enjoyment of listening to music was lost. But after giving it a week or two I was no longer upset and happy to keep listening to them.

Last edited:
OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

No, it must be absolutely perfect and I will never listen to this thing you call ‘music’ until it is.

Until then, it’s backyard birds who’s repertoire, while limited, is at least full fidelity.
Haha. Quack Quack.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If I damaged a piece of gear I would fix it as soon as possible. That's part of the hobby.

wwenze

Major Contributor
You will find out you can mangle up a lot of the high frequencies above 8kHz and the sound still comes out generally decent. That's how full-range speakers can exist.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

If I damaged a piece of gear I would fix it as soon as possible. That's part of the hobby.

I’m not sure if this is related to the fact I thought fixing a misaligned voicecoil within its magnet would be challenging.
But I started to enjoy the fact the sound was less perfect. Not all vocals need to be perfectly dead centre, instruments can sound different from the left and right in real life I thought. So overall I am quite happy with the sound at the moment.
I also have this preference to “let things happen” and be as they are.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I’m not sure if this is related to the fact I thought fixing a misaligned voicecoil within its magnet would be challenging.
But I started to enjoy the fact the sound was less perfect. Not all vocals need to be perfectly dead centre, instruments can sound different from the left and right in real life I thought. So overall I am quite happy with the sound at the moment.
I also have this preference to “let things happen” and be as they are.
Speaker drivers are more of a challenge to repair than electronics, but sometimes you can buy replacement drivers from the manufacturer. I use my system as part of my work, so it has to perform to its original capabilities.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Some years ago was testing with the crawl method and 40Hz tone to the speakers I had back then.My 3yo came in and put the pot of my pre all the way up.The full force of my Audio analogue anniversary left the two scanspeak 26w/8861 literary smoking and it all lasted a few seconds.Replaced them but it hurt.
Not fun.At all :(

jkasch

Forum Donor
Since quite a few of my LPs sound great to me, I guess so.

Reactions: EJ3

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes. The room/s. ...............................That's why i didn't buy more speakers for about 2 years. Then I did, and now I procrastinate renovating the room/s and putting some absorber panels on the back wall behind me. ...And I still need to sell some speakers.

FeddyLost

I prefer to have decent result in MLP.
But to find some flaws, lesser than malfunction or great bass troubles, I need a measurement mic, because my hearing (especially musical) is plain bad. Measuring things that sounded "wrong" gave significant measurable anomalies, not small issues.
So, I still can be OK with less than decent, but like to be OK with less than perfect...

Chester

When setting up my backloaded horn full range speakers I “dropped” one a bit too strongly on my bed. Turns out that speaker lost all high frequency above 14Khz, I think the voice coil became misaligned.

A few months ago I was vacuuming and poked one of my studio monitor woofers with medium force, pretty sure I have impacted something and affected the woofer.
I haven’t measured it since then but I can hear a dip in the crossover point that I cannot hear on the other “good” speaker.

Question, are you the Incredible Hulk?

Top Bottom