• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is an audiophile gear good for gaming?

OP
T

tamask01

I use the Sennheisers 660s, they are fine except sometimes not very comfortable with my glasses ...

Using audiophile gear for gaming is fine. Only problem I find is that, just as audiophile gear is said to sometimes show the defects of bad recordings, this is true for bad sound design too. The Arcane games (Prey, Dishonored, ...) I love, but their sound design and sometimes even the recording quality is ... awful.
yes, true... maybe it's just that those games are designed for regular consumer headphones with all the defects they have and a proper pair is just going to honestly show me all those defects.
I try some of the headphones below 200$ mentioned here with a gaming soundcard, maybe I'll get lucky.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, true... maybe it's just that those games are designed for regular consumer headphones with all the defects they have and a proper pair is just going to honestly show me all those defects.
I try some of the headphones below 200$ mentioned here with a gaming soundcard, maybe I'll get lucky.
You don't need to worry about good headphones being "too resolving" and showing "problems" in the sound of games. You don't need to worry about that with music either. A good headphone along with good EQ will make pretty much all music and games sound better, there might be just the odd track that doesn't sound so good but that would be quite rare and it would depend what you're comparing it against. It's not like you can fix bad recordings with crappy headphones, at least not consistently enough to warrant crappy headphones - I mean are you gonna have a different pair of crappy headphones that somehow has the magical frequency response that fixes each of the few rare crappy tracks you own, no that's not gonna happen. Best case is to have the headphone that is most neutral to you, and it will sound the best in everything pretty much. But anyway, this can get quite complicated.....I think you've made the right decision to say you'll try some headphones below $200, it's a pretty sensible bracket - I mentioned the HD560s before, that fits within that bracket.

Top Bottom