• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is a tweeter with waveguide a horn speaker?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Not like to end up in a mountain vs. Hill discussion.

Not like to hurt the feelings of our nederlands neighbors, and would say there highest mountain is just a hill.

"....Some accepted characteristics of a mountain are:

A natural mound of earth created by faulting
A very steep rise in the landscape that is often abrupt in comparison to its surroundings
A minimum height of just over 2,000 feet2
A steep slope and a defined summit or peak
Often has a name
Depending on the slopes and elevation, mountains can be a challenge to climb.."

What would mean the jbl 305 is NOT a horn speaker. ;)

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
:) Vaalserberg...ok, it's a big hill, not a berg. ...But it's long, so not a koppie. .......But still relative, I suppose, and colloquial.

... and while tomtoo gets technical there, I've been playing with google translate all the time. ...............And I was thinking that sometimes high is the right word even if you speaking Nederlands/German. .........That came from the thought that although it's a low land, it's apparently not difficult to get high.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I see this discussion with humor. Its somehow a mountain vs. Hill disscusion.

A littel bit like is Pluto a Planet?

Let the science community fight about it. Whyle i imagine how it would be getting high on the highest mountain in the nederlands?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Guys, guys ... mountains or hills and what not ... now it's a matter of focus and not coming up with long-sought parables, or pasting irrelevant YouTube videos in the thread.Not because...

:p

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Tangband

Major Contributor
DIY in the thread, nice. I think.:)

Good work! They look good. Are you happy?:

Edge, a free program I see:

Here are a few different horns / waveguides. Note how the concepts of waveguides and horns are mixed well among the manufacturers. That is, the saying horns / waveguide, or just the one and the other a little randomly as I perceive it. I may be wrong in my observation.:) :

Here for those who have access to 3D printers:

My Genelec 8340 sounds better than my HYBRID , and the same is true with 8330- its a better loudspeaker. I stopped building loudspeakers when I borrowed a pair of 8330. My HYBRID in active form is better sounding and measuring than both jbl 305 or Ino piP, so not bad after all.

Katji

Major Contributor
That thread was good. It is recommended!:)
Very good.
See how at least half of it is about the semantics, using the right words and why that is important - but then even that can become problematic.

...And then with pro audio, they tend to say flare/s, and they're physically more like horns than waveguides of hi-fi speakers, and they're always with compression drivers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do like the mountain vs hill analogy, tho. I grew up in Illinois (highest point is "Charles Mound", all of 1235 ft, and considering that the basic elevation is 600 ft to begin with....). Now I live in actual mountains....there is quite a difference :) I'll never look at my 305s the same now, tho.....

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
My Genelec 8340 sounds better than my HYBRID , and the same is true with 8330- its a better loudspeaker. I stopped building loudspeakers when I borrowed a pair of 8330. My HYBRID in active form is better sounding and measuring than both jbl 305 or Ino piP, so not bad after all.
A chef, who cooks his own dish and despite that thinks that the restaurant, in this case with a top chef, serves another dish and it is preferred. Then you are objective in your evaluation.:)

But do you weigh price in relation to performance? Your DIY vs the said Genelec?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The question if a dome with a wg is a horn, remindes me on this scene.

;)
I can kinda grok what you're gettin' at.

That's not a horn.

h2606_9200.jpg

This is a horn.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Then is this a 'compression' driver?

Diesel-Train-Air-Horn-The-Bad-Boy-Top-View-768x768.jpg

And what about this??

Snow White Politically Correct.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom