• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is a preamp right for my needs?

ELberto

Forum Donor
Currently looking at the Parasound Halo P6 for when I move into my next place where I'll (hopefully!) have a dedicated listening room with a home theatre. HT will be secondary- music first but I'd like it to be relatively easy to switch between the two modes. The P6 has 3 things that caught my eye: high and low pass filters for bass mangement, plenty of inputs plus usb, and home theatre bypass outputs. There's a good chance I'll stick with bookshelf speakers (with 2 subs) so bass management is important to me. On the HT side I've got a good receiver with Audyssey. For music I have another amp and can use REW for room correction.

If I'm overlooking something critical please educate me :) and if you have any other preamp I should be looking at I'd appreciate hearing about it. I've looked at the specs for quite a few and hardly any have bass management with a bypass and a decent set of ins and outs, including usb-in. Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
On the HT side I've got a good receiver with Audyssey.
What's it lacking? I assume it's an audio video receiver so it should already have bass management.

OP
E

ELberto

Forum Donor
You're right- the AVR/HT side of things is set but for music it's not if I use a separate amp for music.
I should've included this: I used the Denon (X4700H) for 3 months to listen to music. I ran Audyssey and tried all the different modes and made manual adjustments to crossover points and levels- tried a lot and listened a lot. It was good, no doubt but not as good as my Marantz with the minidsp. This may get me a lot of disagreement but I found that what works for HT is different that what works for music as far as Audyssey goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom