• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is 2020, Audeze LCD-2 Classic / LCD2C Share your thoughts, should improve, measurements and guide.

Ntrax

Audio Company
Hi guys, let us share measurements of our LCD2C whether is stock, modded or pads rolled. Whats your best pairing gears with it. Give us your thoughts of the sound signature you like or wish to have in LCD2C. Leave your tips, your guide and your opinion on modding this dark horses.

Let me start by sharing with you guys mine.

Modded:
1. Added Fazors
2. Replaced foam dust cover with Speaker Mesh Screens
3. Previously with Dekoni Elite Velour, Now with ZMF Auteur Perforated Suede Pads
4. Full dampening surrounding inner and outer cups
5. Dyson SPOCC Cables with Furutech Rhodium 4 Pin XLR Connector

Pairing:
Full Balanced
1. Topping D90
2. Monoprice THX887 (Gain 2)
Full Silver Plated interconnected cables

Pros:
1. Lesser sub bass (i think 2C have adequate quality/quantity even after it is dip).
2. Stronger punch and slam mid bass.
3. Remove all muddiness. Much less reflection of sound.
4. Mid range are raise to provide even clearer presentation of Vocals and instruments.
5. More neutral sounding. Better highs extension. Brighter. Not as dark. Still smooth. Very detailed.
6. More Open and airy. Wider stage and natural. Larger sound scale.
7. No Harshness, very balanced. All rounder.
8. Comfortable and soft without itchiness and sweat.
9. Volume needed are lower now.

Cons:
1. Pads may be not angled enough. (ZMF pads) So sound may present closer to you.
2. Slam and punch may be too strong for some tracks.

Photos & Measurements:
93886923_10156889201421246_2716889718951247872_o.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 1.15.28 AM.jpeg
93426641_10156879246736246_1243571573982494720_o.jpg

Measured with miniDSP EARS. May not be as accurate it can be but the difference are too easy to tell with both pads rolled.
Hope you enjoy my short sharing.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I understand it, swapping pads with these is a huge headache involving glue and stuff (correct me if I'm wrong). So there is no quick swapping to one pair and back to compare (like in Focal headphones), therefore not worth it.

The only physical modification I did was to add Dekoni nuggets to the bottom of the head strap to make it way more comfortable.

Sound-wise, all the fixes are just DSP, using EQ APO. Here are the basic filters:
Preamp: 0.9 dB
Filter: ON LSC 12 dB Fc 130 Hz Gain 2.3 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 550 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 0.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON HSC 12 dB Fc 10000 Hz Gain -3 dB

And on top of that, I'm experimenting with applying crossfeed, so far with positive results. I use a custom filter chain:
Preamp: -0.3 dB
Copy: L2=L R2=R
Channel: L2 R2
Filter: ON HSC 6 dB Fc 1000 Hz Gain -18 dB
Copy: L=0dB*L+-13.0dB*R2 R=0dB*R+-13.0dB*L2
Channel: L R
Filter: ON LSC 6 dB Fc 400 Hz Gain -1.5 dB

I tried the Audeze Reveal plugin, but it just sounded worse.

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
As I understand it, swapping pads with these is a huge headache involving glue and stuff (correct me if I'm wrong). So there is no quick swapping to one pair and back to compare (like in Focal headphones), therefore not worth it.

The only physical modification I did was to add Dekoni nuggets to the bottom of the head strap to make it way more comfortable.

Sound-wise, all the fixes are just DSP, using EQ APO. Here are the basic filters:
Preamp: 0.9 dB
Filter: ON LSC 12 dB Fc 130 Hz Gain 2.3 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 550 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 0.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON HSC 12 dB Fc 10000 Hz Gain -3 dB

And on top of that, I'm experimenting with applying crossfeed, so far with positive results. I use a custom filter chain:
Preamp: -0.3 dB
Copy: L2=L R2=R
Channel: L2 R2
Filter: ON HSC 6 dB Fc 1000 Hz Gain -18 dB
Copy: L=0dB*L+-13.0dB*R2 R=0dB*R+-13.0dB*L2
Channel: L R
Filter: ON LSC 6 dB Fc 400 Hz Gain -1.5 dB

I tried the Audeze Reveal plugin, but it just sounded worse.
Yes is pain in the ass you trying to change them, there are no quick change here. I changed them because my vegan pads begin to flakes. So is time to change some sound and test. What an upgrade to my ears. I don't do EQs though. I like changing physically. I'm a modder myself. So I probably know how it will turn out changing them. These are real fantastic headphone. They have lots of potential. Crazy good at their price.

jae

Major Contributor
Very interesting! I'm in the market for new headphones and I immediately set my sights on the 2C which I very much enjoyed during audition, although maybe they were a bit -too- dark with some muddiness (moreso than my HD650 which I have been using for almost 15 years). I got into a slippery slope where I also tried the LCD-X which I thought was better all around (but felt like it was lacking openness plus jump up in price), but then I tried the LCD-4 and loved it even more. So I'm in a dilemma and don't know what to get now, or if I can justify the price etc and that's just what I'm been trying from Audeze.

Perhaps I can go back to considering the LCD-2C or LCD-X and consider some of the pad rolling

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
Is your fazor 3d-printed?
Yup those are Printed. Well it all depends on what you are willing to pay. As for me, the best sound with less money I could get and the perfect sound for my preference. I like the 2C openness, laid back yet great forward vocals, best low end, wide and ofcoz this also share the same design with the flagship. No lacking on build quality. So given the price and the most cheapest on it's range, Its no brainer for me. X for me is too narrow and intimate, but a friend of mine own 2018 revision they are laid back at least on graph but I've yet to try them. 2020 revision though with the new dust cover totally block out the sound doesn't seem good, there's YouTube review too saying is weird sounding. But not for me to judge them. You have to try them yourself. LCD 4 is in another price league. Does it justify the price tag, I don't know. Is best to demo them 1st because is not easily you can resale them. Limited buyer. As for 2C, I would pad roll them immediately without thinking. The muddiness just not good. After pad roll everything is clear up. Hope my measurements can help you a little too.

jae

Major Contributor
Thanks for your input. Does the new LCD-2C and also LCD-X revision not also have the new silver mesh under the grille ('dust cover')?

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
Thanks for your input. Does the new LCD-2C and also LCD-X revision not also have the new silver mesh under the grille ('dust cover')?
Oh yeah....they share the same. Damn.

jae

Major Contributor
I found the same thing as you when I tried these headphones (tried them all at a shop for many hours) but they were the older revision. I loved the X but I found it a bit too forward and intimate, it wasn't bad but I feel like it would get fatiguing with longer listening times. The X driver had more detail, resolution, speed than the 2C across the audible range.

I'm still on the fence about what Audeze cans to buy. I really liked the comfort, build, and openness of the Mr speakers cans, but something wasn't right about the sound to me. If Audeze was able to get the LCD-4 sound in an Ether 2-like chassis I would buy it regardless of the price.

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
From X onward...the weight just too heavy for me personally, Hate the swinging effect when i move or turn. Also due to the pads are too thick. makes the heavy cups away and further expand out the weight. Bad design imo. If you pay that much of money in the end getting a half and hour or less comfort listening, just not right. Well that is just my preference.

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
Did myself a closed back version. They may not sound as natural but something different which I enjoy too.
IMG_20200610_185645.jpg
Screenshot_20200610-214347.jpg

zachary80

Yup those are Printed. Well it all depends on what you are willing to pay. As for me, the best sound with less money I could get and the perfect sound for my preference. I like the 2C openness, laid back yet great forward vocals, best low end, wide and ofcoz this also share the same design with the flagship. No lacking on build quality. So given the price and the most cheapest on it's range, Its no brainer for me. X for me is too narrow and intimate, but a friend of mine own 2018 revision they are laid back at least on graph but I've yet to try them. 2020 revision though with the new dust cover totally block out the sound doesn't seem good, there's YouTube review too saying is weird sounding. But not for me to judge them. You have to try them yourself. LCD 4 is in another price league. Does it justify the price tag, I don't know. Is best to demo them 1st because is not easily you can resale them. Limited buyer. As for 2C, I would pad roll them immediately without thinking. The muddiness just not good. After pad roll everything is clear up. Hope my measurements can help you a little too.
Would you mind sharing the STL? What material did you use?

Sonny

Forum Donor
Not much Audeze fans here in the forum, I guess?

Anyways, I'm a very happy owner of the LCD2 classic.

While I don't give much importance to the harman curve, I'm still curious to see a review from Amir, but I've to say that I like a lot the stock tuning: I don't know how much differs from the LCD-X, but I find it very relaxing, and depending on what I'm listening to, it doesn't sound necessary wrong per se. I usually switch between the non EQ and the oratory EQ using Mathaudio headphone EQ in Foobar for all my listening.

Again, for me everything depends on the recording: there are some recording that are absolutely fatiguing to my ears. Too bright to be listened with neutral/bright headphones, and with the LCD2C are just a pleasure, still detailed, but smoothed out. Usually old recondings, jazz, stuff from the 50-70s or some stuff from the 90s or classic rock it's what I prefer with stock tuning, but there are also some recent stuff too.
The stock tune loses a bit of soundstage effect, but I don't care, the voices are most of the time improved and more present, it's beautiful.

I could make hundreds of examples, I'll just make a few very obvious and very different genres looking here scrolling at my library, if you want to give a try:

Johnny Cash - basically all the American Recordings sounds beautiful both with stock tuning and EQ, but I prefer the stock sound
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures -> stock tuning
Ella Fitzgerald - Gold -> stock tuning
John Coltrane, Miles Davis, classic Jazz and many of the same category -> stock tuning
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Symphonic Suite Akira -> stock tuning, it's murderous bright
Metallica - Metallica -> again another murderous bright recording
Julia Holter - Have you in my wilderness -> awesome album, but absolutely on the ear bleeding side -> stock tuning and it's almost perfect
Lisa Germano - Geek the girl -> another awesome album from the 90s -> stock tuning
M83 - Saturdays = youth -> stock tuning
Red House Painters - I'd say all the discography -> stock tuning
The Cardigans - Like Red House Painters, everything with stock tuning

and hundreds more.

Nothing to say about the comfort, they are a bit heavy, but not much a problem for me. Every now and then I reposition a bit the headband and I'm ok.
I have a question though, any tips to maintenance the pads? I read that over time they fall apart. Mine are new, but just to know. How long do they last?

edit: forgot to mention the chain: pc source with Foobar wasapi Flac + Mathaudio Headphone EQ dsp (when EQ) -> Topping E30 -> Topping L30 - Audeze LCD2-C stock

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
Not much Audeze fans here in the forum, I guess?

Anyways, I'm a very happy owner of the LCD2 classic.

While I don't give much importance to the harman curve, I'm still curious to see a review from Amir, but I've to say that I like a lot the stock tuning: I don't know how much differs from the LCD-X, but I find it very relaxing, and depending on what I'm listening to, it doesn't sound necessary wrong per se. I usually switch between the non EQ and the oratory EQ using Mathaudio headphone EQ in Foobar for all my listening.

Again, for me everything depends on the recording: there are some recording that are absolutely fatiguing to my ears. Too bright to be listened with neutral/bright headphones, and with the LCD2C are just a pleasure, still detailed, but smoothed out. Usually old recondings, jazz, stuff from the 50-70s or some stuff from the 90s or classic rock it's what I prefer with stock tuning, but there are also some recent stuff too.
The stock tune loses a bit of soundstage effect, but I don't care, the voices are most of the time improved and more present, it's beautiful.

I could make hundreds of examples, I'll just make a few very obvious and very different genres looking here scrolling at my library, if you want to give a try:

Johnny Cash - basically all the American Recordings sounds beautiful both with stock tuning and EQ, but I prefer the stock sound
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures -> stock tuning
Ella Fitzgerald - Gold -> stock tuning
John Coltrane, Miles Davis, classic Jazz and many of the same category -> stock tuning
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Symphonic Suite Akira -> stock tuning, it's murderous bright
Metallica - Metallica -> again another murderous bright recording
Julia Holter - Have you in my wilderness -> awesome album, but absolutely on the ear bleeding side -> stock tuning and it's almost perfect
Lisa Germano - Geek the girl -> another awesome album from the 90s -> stock tuning
M83 - Saturdays = youth -> stock tuning
Red House Painters - I'd say all the discography -> stock tuning
The Cardigans - Like Red House Painters, everything with stock tuning

and hundreds more.

Nothing to say about the comfort, they are a bit heavy, but not much a problem for me. Every now and then I reposition a bit the headband and I'm ok.
I have a question though, any tips to maintenance the pads? I read that over time they fall apart. Mine are new, but just to know. How long do they last?

edit: forgot to mention the chain: pc source with Foobar wasapi Flac + Mathaudio Headphone EQ dsp (when EQ) -> Topping E30 -> Topping L30 - Audeze LCD2-C stock
Great review there. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do with those pleather pads for longevity. After a year, you'll find the part that often touched will have SIGN of cracked then eventually flake overtime. But the good side is, you are able to swap pads by then. Hehe. If you don't want to change sound signature, go for genuine leather pads from Audeze. Those pads can last you a decade if you condition and well maintain it. Generally that's the good side of real leather plus minus wear. If you want a more neutral sound, look no further than ZMF Auteur Perforated Suede Pads. Best imo. Super comfy. Sound Natural and Neutral. Stay safe.

Nobi_one

Has anyone tried the Dakoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads before? Thanks in advance.

oldsweatyman

Grabbed the LCD-2C's, finally.

I bought the dekoni hybrids and installed them, but, as it turns out, I think the stock leather are actually more comfortable for me. They sit on my head right and the hybrids feel so stiff and clamping on my head.

Considering adding the fazor mods..

OP
N

Ntrax

Audio Company
Grabbed the LCD-2C's, finally.

I bought the dekoni hybrids and installed them, but, as it turns out, I think the stock leather are actually more comfortable for me. They sit on my head right and the hybrids feel so stiff and clamping on my head.

Considering adding the fazor mods..
Do you feel vacuum suction with the stocks? Some ppl claim it will harm the drivers.

Top Bottom