• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irrational Accuphase Lust

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And the flagship integrated of that line (roughly same price after inflation as the current PM-10 flagship that uses NC500s) is the amp I irrationally lust for the most:

The PM-10 is a toy.

Unfortunately. Or fortunately for you, you haven't seen, lusted for, or owned the Marantz PM-95. 27.5kg of diecast copper, aluminium, and copper plated chassis, triple paralleled Toshiba MOSFETs and Class A, along with the guts of a DA12LE dac (TDA-1541S1 inside).... AU$6,000 in 1990. The remote control alone cost $700 and is a 90s work of excessive art.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The PM-10 is a toy.

Unfortunately. Or fortunately for you, you haven't seen, lusted for, or owned the Marantz PM-95. 27.5kg of diecast copper, aluminium and plated chassis, triple paralleled Toshiba MOSFETs and Class A, along with the guts of a DA12LE dac (TDA-1541S1) inside.... AU$6,000 in 1990. The remote control alone cost $700 and is a 90s work of art.

I have seen the PM-95, I just think it doesn't look as pretty or timeless as the first-gen PM-15, 16 and 17 with the curved enclosures and chamfered knobs. FWIW the original PM-15 of 1994 was 32kg of diecast copper, aluminium and plated chassis as well...

D

Deleted member 65

Had these two in the seventies, sold when went to Africa to work for a few years ... still miss them

1574456357799.jpeg

1574456286144.jpeg

Edit: and the colourful James Bongiorno

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have seen the PM-95, I just think it doesn't look as pretty or timeless as the first-gen PM-15, 16 and 17 with the curved enclosures and chamfered knobs.

I agree, it's not as pretty, but it's how its built and performs that really sets it apart.

The PM-94 is a beauty too and more reminiscent of the old aesthetic, especially the gold version PM-94 Limited.

1574466452100.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I confess utter, plain, sad, vanity but this is my dream preamp ... For looks .. At that stage of my audiophile journey, I no longer believe in magic dust but darn! This is a beauty ... to me .. If one floats around at the right price? I may snatch it :D

Not the thread? Sorry mod ! :(

1574466876119.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi

I confess utter, plain, sad, vanity but this is my dream preamp ... For looks .. At that stage of my audiophile journey, I no longer believe in magic dust but darn! This is a beauty ... to me .. If one floats around at the right price? I may snatch it :D

Not the thread? Sorry mod ! :(

View attachment 39858

I'm torn.....

Does it push the mechanical fetishism a little too far? Would it get gimmicky?

Or would something like the Nagra preamp be more user friendly over time:

118ces.nagra_.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Burmester has that aircraft cockpit instrument panel look about it.

I like the look myself, but they are a nightmare to work on- never again.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of high-end stuff, does anyone know what happened to Wadia? Always thought they were a stratospherically-priced brand like Nagra or at least McIntosh, but the local dealer is offloading NIB units of their current product line at much lower prices than I thought they'd sell for at the local hi-fi show. I genuinely thought they'd still command McIntosh prices, but their entry-level XLR DAC/preamp with 32/384 and DSD128 over USB (di122; uses ESS 9016) was on sale for the equivalent of 550USD. That struck me as one hell of a price considering the cachet Wadia still had in my head, the dealer network, the industrial design, made in USA (at Binghamton because this was post-McIntosh takeover).

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love the classic look of this stuff, and I'll agree, Accuphase is probably at the top of my list too. Amazing stuff....

I also have an odd penchant for analog meters....

Darkweb

I’ve always lusted for Accuphase stuff too but their recent move away from the traditional VU needle dancing on their integrated amp is a turn off for me.

The lcd readout or whatever they are doing now in the E-650 looks pretty blah.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I simply love LED based VU meters! But that's probably just because of my fond memories of 80's tech :D

They don't really fit the Accuphase aesthetics at all though. I agree with that.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have a Marantz PM16, Nice solid amplifier. Love to get some measurements. A German audio magazine did some on it an compared it to the Accuphase competition...which it crushed. But it's mid 1990 so not really SOTA anymore haha.

Still think Accuphase makes some pretty gear.

pierre

Forum Donor
1575670802448.jpeg

Jadis, a medium size model, they do bigger.
to go back to Accuphase, I had one e360 and was super happy with it. I sold it and bought Genelec with the cash. I replaced an excellent class AB with good looking vu-meters by various class D of unknown quality ...

From time to time I miss it.

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Steve Hoffman received a pair of Nagra's TOTL HD Dacs and preamp earlier this year. One week later he had the gall to ask members of his forum for funds and donations to keep his site running. I half seriously, half jokingly said 'Hey Steve, why don't you just sell off your free Nagra gear to fund the hosting for your website for the next decade?' to which my post was almost instantly removed and my account received a permanent suspension.

Am I salty he got free Nagra gear and I didn't? Yeah...

On topic: I plan on acquiring some Accuphase gear one day. Or maybe McIntosh... question to you forum members. Given the choice, which of the two brands would you prefer? I know Accuphase is considered more 'high end' but there's something about the McIntosh brand that has a strong allure...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Accuphase without a doubt. Accuphase has class, McIntosh is kitsch :D.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Irrational? You call Accuphase lust irrational?
And, then, of course, I would want a steampunk HTPC to complement the amps...

View attachment 36327
Old post but I just caught this one, WOW how cool it this, I love the steampunk art!!!
@Xulonn do you remember where you found this, I'd love to read about it a little?
This guy is a great artist-designer put this together.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom