• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone + USB DACs any good? Bit-perfect? HD?

hyperknot

Hi,

Is there anyone who did any test on the bit-perfectness of an iPhone when used with USB DACs? I was thinking about making a Raspberry Pi streamer, but I was thinking that if I can use my iPhone that'd be much better. Not one more computer with an operating system, which needs to be updated, no SD card corruption, wifi problems etc.

I'm planning to use the Amazon Music HD app, or alternatively Roon is now supporting iPhone + USB DACs as endpoints. Or maybe make it into an Airplay endpoint with the Airfoil Satellite app from Rogue Amoeba.

So my question:
1. Is the iPhone + Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter bit-perfect?
2. Does it work with high res audio?
3. How is the DAC compatibility. If I'm using a DAC which is doesn't need any driver (Khadas Tone Board), will it work?

Attachments

• MK0W2.jpeg
    MK0W2.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
OP
H

hyperknot

@amirm since you are already using Roon endpoints to test some devices, can you measure some of the most popular / reference DACs with this Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter kit + Roon endpoint? It'd make a nice and trouble free endpoint for any iOS device owner I believe, I just found no objective measurement about it's sound quality.

D

Deleted member 65

Tried connecting my iPhone 8 using the Camera kit to my RME ADI-2 DAC. Works like a charm playing from Tidal. Not done the RME bitperfect test.

D

Deleted member 65

Did the RME Bit test with the following setup:
iPhone 8 with Apple Camera kit running Roon, phone USB-connected to RME ADI-2 DAC.
Passed as Bit perfect on the following tests I did:
44/16
44/24
96/16
96/24
So bitperfect up to 96/24, note ios only supports up to 24.

1573993032178.jpeg

OP
H

hyperknot

Thanks for this, it's great result! I wonder if anyone could do a Jitter test on this.

sofrep811

I just purchased a new IPhone XR. Using the Lightening to USB is my best option to run music through my phone Through a DAC? Any limitations I should know about? Thx in advance and glad to see ASR getting stronger while I’ve been gone.

slowpork

Is this really a bit-perfect though? eg. there are still keyboard sounds when type, so it must go through internal mixer before sending to external DAC. Is there an exclusive mode setting like in Android/UAPP , Windows ?

Strato007

I use Ztella DAC and its USB-C @ lighting adapter with Tidal and sounds GREAT!

Top Bottom