• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone to Hifi system - Best device for my father

Hello,

Last year, my father's Cambridge CD player got broken. Against my advice, he decided to got it repaired for 300 $ (!) and it started to make other problems. He's ready to make a move to some kind of streaming.

He has Apple Music on his iPhone. He would need to transfer to the RCA inputs of his Cambridge amp.

I'm pretty sure he could have a better bang for the buck quality-wise if I ask you on this forum. :D

Would something like the SMSL D6 works ? I assume he could send music via Bluetooth even though it does not have AirPlay 2 ?

Would you have other recommandations ? Price-wise, I think around 250 $US or below would be best.

Best wishes,

beeface

I haven't personally used one, but maybe the WiiM Mini would be suitable? More affordable that the SMSL D6 and supports AirPlay 2.

I would definitely go with a wireless option. Even if he doesn't mind running a cable from his iPhone to his amp, when you rely start relying on the iPhone's lightning port you will run into issues if you ever need to listen to music and charge your phone at the same time.

Edit: just remembered there is a Belkin Airplay 2 device that could be used in a similar manner to the WiiM Mini. Again, I haven't personally used one, but it will likely be cheaper than the WiiM and probably available locally from big name stores.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Keith_W Airplay ≠ Bluetooth. So no.
The vast majority of Bluetooth speakers does not support Airplay. Some do, e.g. Sonos Roam.

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
If he is fine with a wired connection, I second the vote for the Apple dongle and cable.

If he wants wireless, I second the vote for the Wiim Mini. Google Chromecast Audio is another option, but the price on those has skyrocketed (I don't think they are being made anymore). Walmart has one listed for $79.96, but I paid $20-$30 for mine years ago.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I plug my iPhone into a DAC in my office. It’s really not a big deal to be without a remote. That said, I’m really surprised Apple has not figured out an elegant solution that would allow my iPad or IPhone to mirror each other and use one as a “slave”.

eddantes

Used to be... 2nd hand Airport Express and 3.5mm to RCA IN as a cheap and elegant way to do it... But not sure if the latest IOS supports Airport Express. iPhone essentially becomes a nice remote for Apple iTunes coming out of your stereo(s)... Some years ago I had the whole house set up that way... But I left the Apple ecosystem. Not sure if the same can be done now.

OP
C
Thank you for all the kind and informative answers.

I do myself have the old Airport Express that goes into a Dac via Optical and then the amplifier via RCA. Such a good and simple setup. I don't understand why Apple dropped that concept.

Since he would likely go from CD (so good quality) to Bluetooth, I wanted to provide him with something as good because I think sometimes the compression of the file is not ideal via Bluetooth, but I'm no expert. He would probably likely not hear a major difference between something cheap and something a bit more «hifi» price-wise.

From what I see, I think I may have more options the Bluetooth route more than the Airplay 2 route.

As I think about his setup right now, wireless would be more interesting, although wired could be kept on the table.

Thank you again.

Tom C

Major Contributor
It might be mentioned that AirPlay uses WiFi, rather than blue tooth. So both the remote (control) device and the playing device that is connected by wires to the preamp, or amp, or powered speaker must be logged onto the same network.
It actually does work well for some people, who really like it.

Karu

Forum Donor
As above, Wiim mini is likely the easiest/cleanest solution.

eddantes

As above, Wiim mini is likely the easiest/cleanest solution.
Ooooh - just noticed the Pro has Chromecast and Parametric EQ upcoming! I think my wallet is in danger!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Bluetooth, because it's the simplest, most universal wireless audio option around: It needs no network connectivity, no apps, and works with devices from many manufacturers.

Top Bottom