• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone to Amp: Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter or USB Camera Adapter into Topping D10 or sth else?

lopchu

Hi,

I am about to upgrade the little music listening corner a bit. At the moment I have a turntable that goes into a NAD amp phono stage and out via the tape recording function into a JDS Labs Atom Amp. Headphones used to be the Sennheiser HD650, but now is an AKG 371. Works fine, sounds nice.

Sometimes, especially when new music is released, I would like to listen to Apple Music from my iPhone instead of vinyl. I do not want to connect a Laptop cause I stare at a laptop the whole day.

I see two options.

1. Get the apple "Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" from Apple for 10€ and connect it to the JDS Amp 3.5mm line in.
2. Reactivate an old Topping D10, connect the iPhone to it via this super overpriced USB camera adapter and then connect the topping to the Atom Amp via RCA/line in or to the NAD amp.

Is one option superior?

I don't expect the dac to make difference but just wondered about possible double amping from the lightning dac/amp adapter. Also, I am not sure whether the USB camera adapter works with the D10. I have heard of mixed experiences (also here in the forum). Finally, is the RCA connector better than 3.5mm input? Or would there even be a better third option? To make the NAD amp redundant I am thinking of getting a phono preamp (like the ART DJ Pre) as well. But no need to I guess.

Using the output of the Lightning dac/amp dongle directly is not an option as I am awaiting a Hifiman Edition XS. Side question: the Atom Amp (first edition) should have enough power right?

Thanks in advance (I know - many questions)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is one option superior?
The D10 will be 2.5x as loud as the Apple dongle with your Atom amp set to the same volume.
Or in other words, with the Apple dongle you'll have to turn up the Atom Amp's volume a bunch to get the same loudness as with the D10.
Doesn't matter with the K371, but with the Edition XS you might run out of amplifier gain with the dongle as DAC.

I don't expect the dac to make difference but just wondered about possible double amping from the lightning dac/amp adapter.
That's not an issue. The Amp inside the Apple dongle will just idle when plugged into an external Amp.

Finally, is the RCA connector better than 3.5mm input?
Not meaningfully

Or would there even be a better third option?
The Apple MMX62AM/A (US Lightning dongle) has twice the output voltage that the EU version gets. You can buy one New on eBay.
EU Lightning dongle: 0.5V
US Lightning dongle: 1.0V
Topping D10: 2.0V
(every doubling of voltage is a 50% increase in volume)

You can buy Lightning dongles with the full 2.0V output for about 50-70€.
I'd prefer that over the Camera adapter->D10 solution.

OP
lopchu

lopchu

Thank you so much! Already learned a lot. And will keep the output voltage in mind.

But the recommendation of option c (lightning dongle with 2.0V) also raised another question:

What is the advantage over the Camera adapter->D10 solution?

Because I know one disadvantage: it costs more. I thought I can get away with either 10€ for the 0.5V lightning dongle or 15€ for a used camera adapter (39,00 € new from apple).

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the advantage over the Camera adapter->D10 solution?
more portable and powered by your iPhone, so no external power supply needed.
Whether this portability is worth the extra bucks or whether the higher output voltage over the Apple dongle is worth the extra hassle of Camera adapter->D10, you have to decide yourself.

OP
lopchu

lopchu

Yeah, I see the point. And of course the final decision will be individual.
Regarding portability, that is no factor as I use noise cancelling in ears (Sony XM4) when on the go.

But I saw a different point: First, I would need the "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" (the power port) which is more expensive (49€ new in Germany) and second, that would mean to have a rather bulky adapter very close to the phone. I would imagine that picking up the phone to play another album is not so nice with the attached short cable from phone to adapter.

So I looked for "Lightning dongles with the full 2.0V output for about 50-70€" but could not find any, for example in the review index with the feature of being recommend (at least not one that comes with a lightning cable. And adding a lightning to USB-C adapter also then seems a bit bulky). But I am not very well informed. Could you recommend one?

Anyway I think I might see how loud the headphone gets and maybe, just maybe, the 9€ Lightning dongle is enough :)

Edit:

Maybe this one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fiio-ka1-usb-dac.39625/

Last edited:

Zoethoudertje

I use the iPhone7plus>camera adapter>topping dx1>he400se option and am very happy with it.

Works with or without usb power, with power it will not drain your battery.

The lightning and usb cable with the adapter are about 80cm (guess). Spacious enough to just pick up the phone and choose another number. You can quickly adjust the volume with the volume knob of the dac/amp.

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Imo, get the apple 1V dongle for 9$ and decide from there if you feel like you need the d10s. There's nothing to worry about in regards to "double amping." Both DACs use internal amplification to reach their output voltages.

Top Bottom