• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone Speaker Audio (compressed, limited, distorted)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Sometimes I like the ultra-band-passed effect of listening to music on my phone's built-in speakers. It seems less distracting that way if I'm trying to focus on something else. So, I end up using the phone's speakers for a decent chunk of time every day.

I recently upgraded from an aging iPhone SE 2016 to a slightly larger but much newer and faster iPhone 12 Mini. There's a lot to love about it and it even has stereo speakers.

However, the speakers make music sound so, so bad at all levels. I've noticed for a long time on iOS devices that after you get to around two volume levels away from max, those last two notches seem to be adding increasingly heavy limiting to the sound. This decision makes sense to me from a practical standpoint because it's a way to get a lot more average volume without asking the speakers for much more excursion.

On this new phone, it sounds like heavy limiting and/or multiband compression is engaged at all volume levels. It's very in-your-face and exceptionally bright. With the stereo speakers oriented correctly toward my ears, I get an out-of-phase sensation like heavy Dolby surround processing is being applied to everything.

Snare drums in particular have a strange downward "pew" doppler effect like a synth laser beam patch. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but maybe I can record it.

The average phone user appears to have noticed this effect and describes it as "tinny," "echoey," or "distorted" sound.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant. Please chime in if you've noticed something similar.

Top Bottom