• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone SE (2020) no audio signal output

BitPerfect_

I have tried to connect this iPhone SE (2020), using lightning > USB B > DAC and there is no signal output when I play a song from Apple Music.
The same setup using an iPad Air 4 (2020), a cable USB C > USB B > DAC, it works like a charm.

Any hint to make the iPhone work? I've tried to enable/disable the EQ, as I've read as a possible workaround but... no luck.
Thank you,

SMc

I don't know why the iPad works, but usually digital output requires the Apple Camera kit.

Ah, it's the USB C that makes the difference. No, this doesn't explain how I can use a Lightning connection to my car stereo.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Yes, I saw this post but reading other thoughts I've found that a simple cable will do the job (confirmed also by me using iPad).
So, in other words, USB-C is able to deliver the audio signal through the USB-B and lightning to USB-B is restricted somehow or ...?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Please tell us precisely what cable/adapter you're using to connect what DAC to your iPhone

OP
B

BitPerfect_

These are the components: The adapter USB-B <> USB-C, the cable that is working with the iPad Air 4 (2020) USB-C <> USB-C, and the other cable that is not working with iPhone SE (2020), USB-C <> lightning.

4357C4F0-82F5-4CB2-89DE-747325DAC98E.jpg
mll82.jpg
MM0A3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

BitPerfect_

Sorry, what’s the difference?
And why I am able to use this kind of standard cable with iPad connected to a DAC or with iPhone connected to a laptop to transfer data not only charging … !?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The cable needs to have a special "MFi" chip (Made For iPhone) inside to tell the iPhone that it's safe to supply power to the attached USB accessory.
Apple's standard cables do not have that chip.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Make sense in this case, funny that is not apply also for iPad…

LE: sorry to say but, the above cables are Apple and according to this article, even the Apple standard cables already have MFi so..., I don't think that it's the cable. More than that, as I've mentioned, the cable is working fine connected to a laptop, the pop-up message about the connected device show up, I am able to accept or deny, and so on. I'll try to test another iPhone in order to eliminate the cable from this equation.

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Make sense in this case, funny that is not apply also for iPad…

LE: sorry to say but, the above cables are Apple and according to this article, even the Apple standard cables already have MFi so..., I don't think that it's the cable. More than that, as I've mentioned, the cable is working fine connected to a laptop, the pop-up message about the connected device show up, I am able to accept or deny, and so on. I'll try to test another iPhone in order to eliminate the cable from this equation.
I have a similar situation where i can connect my iPhone 11 to my dac with Apples lightning camera adapter and it works great. But with my ipad (6 generation) I get nothing. Music plays through the iPad but doesn’t drive the DAC. I just assumed I need a powered USB hub but am too cheap to buy one.

staticV3

Master Contributor
LE: sorry to say but, the above cables are Apple and according to this article, even the Apple standard cables already have MFi so..., I don't think that it's the cable.
There's a difference between an MFi-certified charging cable and an MFi-certified discharging cable.
The cable that came with your iPhone is a certified charging cable, but will not work in a scenario where your iPhone has to discharge via USB to power some accessory. Yes, Apple's MFi program really is that dumb.
Here's one such discharging cable: https://aliexpress.com/item/33009721024.html

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why the iPad works, but usually digital output requires the Apple Camera kit.

Ah, it's the USB C that makes the difference. No, this doesn't explain how I can use a Lightning connection to my car stereo.
This is not actually true. The camera kit only allows for charging.

SMc

This is not actually true. The camera kit only allows for charging.

but I don't what specific case to which you refer.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

I don't think you can plug Type-C DACs into your iPhone using that cable.
Here's a list of cables that can do that.
If you need something longer, consider buying this adapter plus any C to C cable of suitable length.
Or perhaps this 4ft cable from the same mfr.
Would you please advise, the column B in the xls file is referring at ... ?
I think I'll purchase this one but first it will be interesting to know what 9038S/D versions means. Thanks,

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would you please advise, the column B in the xls file is referring at ... ?
It's a spreadsheet that I created for customers of the E1DA 9038S and 9038D, to help them find the right cable for their iPhone model.
Each colored cell links to a message in the E1DA discord server where people report which iPhone+cable+DAC combination has worked for them and which hasn't.

Top Bottom