• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone: random popping on 3.5mm jack when no audio playing

carat

I have an iPhone SE connected to a mixer via a 3.5mm TRRS-to-2xTRS (mic+phones) breakout adapter. When it's sitting idle, it produces intermittent pop noises. These only happen when the phone is idle. During playback no pops can be heard, even if I play a silent audio file.

Other observations:
  • The issue occurs regardless of whether the phone is connected to a charger.
  • It's not a problem with that specific phone. I tried swapping it with another iPhone SE and reproduced the same issue.
  • It makes a similar but predictable pop every time I turn on the phone's screen.
  • I can detect no pattern to the pops. They seem completely random. Sometimes there will be very long periods with no pop, other times I might hear two pops seconds apart.
  • There are no other noise issues with the phone. Aside from these distinct pops the line is very clean with a negligible noise floor.
Does anyone know what the issue might be here, or how it can be resolved? Thanks.

Top Bottom