• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Iphone as a source

TankTop

Not sure where to put this, please move if it’s in the inappropriate for him.

First, will an iPhone (Xs) lightning to USB B work for audio output to something like a Topping DX7 pro or similar. If so what is the Signal quality the iPhone is capable of.

I ordered the Sennheiser HD6xx and I’m just thinking of an equipment purchasing plan. would want a headphone amp/sac that could also be used as a pre amp for powered bookshelf speakers. If the iPhone could be used as a quality source that would be a savings.

OP
T

TankTop

iPhone headphone adapter...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-iphone-lightning-headphone-adapter.7665/

Teamed with JDS Labs Atom *or* Schiit Magni 3 Heresy *or* Gersahelli Labs Archel 2.

Sit back and enjoy.

The Atom will definitely work as a pre-amp in the way you envisage (that's how I use it). Not sure about the other choices.

Thanks, I was specifically thinking of the Atom. So just lightning to headphone jack, no need to make it more complicated.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no need to make it more complicated.

No, not really. You can always add a desktop DAC later on if you feel the need. I know that only certain DACs are advertised as iPhone compatible (e.g. Chord Mojo), i'm not an iPhone user, so I don't know if compatibility is an issue for other DACs.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SQ from an iPhone is not a limitation

use Apple lossless instead of mp3 for best SQ

Space is the limitation

OP
T

TankTop

SQ from an iPhone is not a limitation

use Apple lossless instead of mp3 for best SQ

Space is the limitation
What’s the quality of streaming Tidal or Tidal Masters from the iPhone? From the sound of your comment it’s good enough. Tidal via Bluetooth in my car is a huge improvement over radio or pandora.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the quality of streaming Tidal or Tidal Masters from the iPhone? From the sound of your comment it’s good enough. Tidal via Bluetooth in my car is a huge improvement over radio or pandora.

Tidal Hi-Fi should be equivalent to CD quality FLAC, Tidal Masters could be better or worse depending on your view of MQA and it's effect on sound quality.

Top Bottom