• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPhone 10 as a high-end streamer

Tangband

Major Contributor
As iOS 14.6 has unlocked iPad and iphones to play 24 bit 192 kHz material it has become a high end streamer, soundwise.

All you need is apple music high resolution and a USB camera connection cable, plus an external USB dac.

With a dac like Topping D10s you can then enjoy true highend sound with a SINAD of 112 dB . You can even regulate the volume digitaly for Topping D10s, making it a preamp as well. You can connect it to active loudspeakers or directly to a power amp.

I use my IPhone or iPad with a USB-spdif bridge ( ”sky song” 0,1 ppm clocks ) digitaly to the digital input of my Genelec . With this solution I get a slightly better sound than using the digital output of my Yamaha wxc50 from spdif out.

The iPhone can also act as a 24 bit digital volume-control with the usb bridge.

Attachments

• C498141C-6BF9-4675-9C53-07BB747E7A68.jpeg
    C498141C-6BF9-4675-9C53-07BB747E7A68.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 400
  • CF3F33CF-4B7A-403B-890E-45A0517082D8.jpeg
    CF3F33CF-4B7A-403B-890E-45A0517082D8.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 401
  • D6811A67-20F4-4C9D-8249-903526072EDE.jpeg
    D6811A67-20F4-4C9D-8249-903526072EDE.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using my iPad like that since Apple made the upgrade. Any iPhone /iPad with 14. software and up will work.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes, and we have done a listening test with a very good streamer to compare with, an Akurate katalyst Exakt Dsm.
We let the Akurate do the volume regulation, thus only using the iPhone and USB bridge as a digital drive, with spdif to the spdif input of the Akurate DSM.

The difference with the different digital sources, Akurate DSM with TIDAL and iPhone USB/bridge with Apple high resolution was very small. Where the Akurate dsm usually outclasses most other digital sources such as laptops or cd-players with music, this was like comparing apples with pears. Really good both of them.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine was visiting a field site way out in the desert. The director of the station is a Maggie guy, so my friend's iPhone got connected to a set of 4 30.x Maggies in a giant warehouse...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and we have done a listening test with a very good streamer to compare with, an Akurate katalyst Exakt Dsm.
We let the Akurate do the volume regulation, thus only using the iPhone and USB bridge as a digital drive, with spdif to the spdif input of the Akurate DSM.

The difference with the different digital sources, Akurate DSM with TIDAL and iPhone USB/bridge with Apple high resolution was very small. Where the Akurate dsm usually outclasses most other digital sources such as laptops or cd-players with music, this was like comparing apples with pears. Really good both of them.
We’re on ASR and statements like this :
Where the Akurate dsm usually outclasses most other digital sources such as laptops or cd-players with music,
are subject to our collective scrutiny because it flies in the way of Science. Any numbers ,aka , measurements to back this claim? Else ….

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
We’re on ASR and statements like this : are subject to our collective scrutiny because it flies in the way of Science. Any numbers ,aka , measurements to back this claim? Else ….
Its good to be critical. :)
There IS the oportunity to have good computer sound but the traps are many in the way you must shut of a lot of windows gadgets like upsampling, sample rate conversion, beware of 8 kHz USB packet noise and other bad things, not done well.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../8khz-usb-noise-how-do-i-get-rid-of-it.10211/

The same with some cd-players as digital driveunits with bad clocking and bad electrical isolation, but you must hear the difference compared to a really good digital source for yourself.
Yes - there are sometimes important but small differences soundwise if the digital stream is somewhat corrupted.
The older Linn Akurate dsm has been tested at audiosciencereview with really good measurements.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-linn-akurate-dsm-dac-streamer.6272/

Last edited:
Top Bottom