• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iPad - some measurements and hires flac playback ability

pma

Major Contributor
I bought my iPad in summer and my first impression was that it is only a toy regarding music playback. This was based on experience with iTunes compressed files and not very easy way how to play wav files. Then I was able to play 48/16 and 44.1/16 wav files uploaded to and downloaded from iCloud. Better, but still nothing special. Finally I found that the iPad is able to play hires Flac files through some applications, like FE File Explorer by Skyjos. And, not only via external DAC connected with the FireWire cable, but also through its internal DAC to 3.5mm jack analog output. Below are some measurements, all taken from the iPad 3.5mm analog jack output.

iPad_Flac_96-24_-1dBFS.png

This is iPad playing the -1dBFS 1kHz tone, in 96kHz/24bit format, flac file. Please note that the 0.0016%(A) THD+N value is limited by my soundcard abilities (SB USB X-Fi HD), not by the iPad itself.

iPad_Flac_44-16_-100dB.png

This is the iPad playing 1kHz/-100dBFS dithered tone generated in 44.1kHz/16bit CD format. Please see the iPad reserve in noise and dynamics, as the 16bit dithered noise falls down above 20kHz.

iPad_Flac_96-24_-100dB.png

This is the iPad playing 1kHz/-100dBFS tone generated in 96kHz/24bit format.

Conclusion

The iPad is not a bad sound source at all. It just needs to overcome the obstacles of iOS policy to play only iTunes based music. Then, with a proper app, it is able to play uncompressed hires music either through an external DAC or its analog jack output. As I listen mostly to high quality recordings of classical music, I appreciate this possibility very much.

P.S.: I need to add that the wide BW at 96kHz sampling works only with an external DAC. At iPad analog output, the frequencies are limited to 24kHz, so the files are resampled to Fs = 48kHz with the internal DAC. However, high resolution remains preserved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom