• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

wje

Forum Donor
After having many thoughts of some system changes that I wanted to apply, I took the plunge and ordered the IOTAXV SA3 integrated amplifier. It's currently out of stock, but should begin shipping again from the UK towards the middle of next week. I've been following many of the You Tube reviews on this integrated amplifier and it actually slipped my mind for the past few weeks.

After doing lots of research this past week on a preamplifier that might best suit my needs for musical performance, I dredged through reviews of Rega, Naim, NAD, Emotiva, Parasound, etc. Granted, there are lots of great options out there in those product lines, but felt I just wanted something "different". Hopefully, this will be the "one" that will fit into the void that I was looking to fill. I don't intend to utilize it as an integrated amplifier, but as a pre-amplifier to pair with my Behringer NX6000D amplifier. I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite SC.81 with a Schiit Modi multibit DAC to feed my MiniDSP -> amp, and then my speakers along with 2 subwoofers. 95% of my listening and use of my system is for music, while the last 5% is for movies if I want to watch them with some effects from my system and subwoofers.

My hope is that eventually when I do receive it, I could part with it for a week and a half to send all the way across the United States to have it put through the test paces of Amir's process to see how this stacks up against other equipment. Whew!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice feature that you can bridge the amp section of the integrated for100w @ 8Ω, and then add their matching power amp, also bridged for 100w mono to get 100wpc @ 8Ω. Nice upgrade path - I don't think I've seen that before.

IotaVX.jpg

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Is it too late to have it shipped directly to Amir? This would save you money.

It won't be in stock until Weds 3/11. I can enquire. Shipping from the UK is via DHL and takes between 3 and 5 days.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor

It appears to a quite a solidly-built piece. It's a shame that I'll just be using it as a pre-amplifier. Though, when buying the separate power amplifier, you can then run the amp in the integrated amp in bridged mode for one of your channels, then the separate power amp in bridge mode, for equal power - around 100 WPC @ 8 Ohms, or 180 WPC @ 4 Ohms. My only concern in doing that would be extra connections involved with running one channel of the separate amplifier. The extra cables, and connections involved seems like it might create a small sound issue for one of the channels.

Also, a separate Bluetooth adapter can be purchased for $35 (US $$) that installs on the back of the integrated amplifier. It's supposed to support 24 bit Apt HD protocol. Not sure if I'll opt for that because my Bluesound Node 2i already has that capability. The IOTAVX integrated amplifier has a DAC built around the infamous Burr-Brown/TI chips. I'll have to see how the impressions of it are from those who have reviewed it. I may just it to receive the signal from my TV or DVD player when using my sound system for TV programs or movies, but not music - because the Khadas Tone Board is now my preferred DAC as of 30 minutes ago.

The IOTAXV is apparently a spin-off or some sort of connection to Nakamichi, or of employees that used to work for Nakamichi. I need to re-read a bit on some of the articles that referred to the details on how it came into fruition.

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@wje , this is an interesting thread to me, because as an audiophile since the first days of commercial consumer stereo in 1958 when I was a junior in high school, and with a lifelong interest in psychology and consumerism, I am well aware of the pitfalls of "falling in love" with a "hot new component" from a company with seemingly good credentials. Even now at age 78, and long-since retired, I am still fascinated with audio engineering and design, listen to a lot of music from several genres, and enjoy sharing experiences with other audio enthusiasts, young, old, and in-between. (Which is why I spend so much time here at ASR. :) )

For my own use, I have wandered off into another type of system (only one source for both digital music and video - a mini-PC, plus a really good DAC with a volume control and balanced XLR out, and of course, a very good power amp and speakers. So things like the source selection and phono preamp of the IOTAVX are no longer of interest to me. However, I would also rather see one or two fewer RCA inputs and at least one XLR balanced input and output - and an XMOS USB digital input.

However, my psychological reaction to the IOTAVX SA3 was quick and strong, and I am curious as to whether that "consumer reaction" to this new product is "sound" (pun intended) based on my many years of audio experience. I never looked for "sonic perfection", (audiophile nirvana?) but have enjoyed several variations of the many design and engineering approaches to audio components and systems. They all sounded pretty good to me when I owned them.

Another aspect of your "project" is that it allows what I see as a smaller British version of Emotiva and Monoprice that has recently entered the market, to take on the challenge of unsolicited testing by Amir here at ASR. Will IOTAVX make it through the gauntlet with a recommendation on the first try? We shall see.

This is fun - and with someone else's money!

And here is a photo of the back panel, which no one has posted yet. (Click for larger image)

IOTAVX SA3 Back Panel.jpg

Last edited:
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
@wje

However, my psychological reaction to the IOTAVX SA3 was quick and strong, and I am curious as to whether that "consumer reaction" to this new product is "sound" (pun intended) based on my many years of audio experience. I never looked for "sonic perfection", (audiophile nirvana?) but have enjoyed several variations of the many design and engineering approaches to audio components and systems. They all sounded pretty good to me when I owned them.

Another aspect of your "project" is that it allows what I see as a smaller British version of Emotiva and Monoprice that has recently entered the market, to take on the challenge of unsolicited testing by Amir here at ASR. Will IOTAVX make it through the gauntlet with a recommendation on the first try? We shall see.

This is fun - and with someone else's money!

Like you, I tend to focus more on the smaller companies and not necessarily "sonic perfection". Case in point being the Capital Audio Fest this past November in my area. There was a lot of hype about one of the rooms that featured a $65,000 pair of Magico speaker being driven by about $150,000 in Esoteric gear. However, the sound just seemed a bit "off" and even one of the representatives from Esoteric came into the room to make some adjustments to the "clock" on the DAC in one of their components. After some "fiddling", the sound still didn't leave me impressed. After about 10 minutes of waiting and hearing their attempts to correct the sound, I moved onto another room. The Paradigm Persona 9H speakers were impressive, but were nearly $40K a pair and being driven by Parasound gear. Also, the KEF models were impressive, also being driven by Parasound gear of modest proportions. Even the Tekton Double Impact speakers - also being driven by modest gear sounded quite good to me, but the speakers would overwhelm my listen space in my condominium. I've also spent time in showrooms listening to Wilson speakers at over $120K a pair being driven by uber amounts of gear. In the end, it's not always the mega-buck equipment that impresses my ears.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I've received an update from IOTAVX on the SA3. Their site indicated that the item should have been back in stock on 3/11. I've received notice that the devices should start to ship out tomorrow. Finally!

Meanwhile, I've been playing around with an older B&K Reference 30 preamplifier. To my ears, it's a pretty good performer for 2-channel listening. But, the processing for this device is painfully slow - compared to modern day processors. It's hard to imagine that people were actually paying $2,799 for such a device 15+ years ago. I nabbed it for $100 off of Craigslist. Also, found an Emotiva PT-100 on the used market too - should arrive in a few days. I've owned the PT-100 in the past, but with other speakers (mainly Focal Electra 1027BE and 1028BE). Now, that I've switched out speakers and subwoofers, I'm curious to try out the PT-100 again - and then the IOTAVX once Amir puts it through the paces.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The IOTAXV is apparently a spin-off or some sort of connection to Nakamichi, or of employees that used to work for Nakamichi. I need to re-read a bit on some of the articles that referred to the details on how it came into fruition.

It has no connection to Nakamichi other than the owner of IOTA Enterprises used to license the Nakamichi name for their products. They changed their name to IOTAVX a few years ago - I remember him telling me the cost to license the Nakamichi name was quite prohibitive.

I purchased a pair of their Nakamichi AVP1 multichannel power amps (now the IOTAVX AVXP1) at their introductory price of £499 about 4 or 5 years ago. The AVP1 is almost identical to the old Emotiva UPA-7 reviewed at Audioholics here. The only real difference is that the Nakamichi has balanced inputs as well as unbalanced. I use mine to power my active Linkwitz LXMinis and Magneplanar MG2.5Rs not for home theatre. I've been very happy with them.

I should mention that their customer service was quite outstanding. The early AVP1s like mine had an issue with the balanced inputs being overly sensitive to cable capacitance on some channels, which triggered the protection circuitry. As soon as the replacement input boards were available the owner came out to my house and fitted them personally. These amps are very well made and since that fix have been completely reliable.

At the time he also brought me a prototype power amp, an integrated amp and I think a streamer so I could give him some feedback. I don't know if the amps were these current models as they had no names on them, but they seem similar. Although I only had a few days to listen to them they seemed fine, everything worked well and they were nicely built.

I hope the amp works out well for you and look forward to Amir's test results.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
It has no connection to Nakamichi other than the owner of IOTA Enterprises used to license the Nakamichi name for their products. They changed their name to IOTAVX a few years ago - I remember him telling me the cost to license the Nakamichi name was quite prohibitive.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I'm going to check out the reviews that you pointed out. I wonder if Emotiva made the IOTAVX product? Or, vice-versa? About 4 years back, I went to a headphone meet down in Nashville and stopped by Emotiva in Franklin, TN to make a purchase. They were quite welcoming. Provided me with a nice gift bag of goodies (Emotiva mug, etc.) and gave me a little tour of their facility. When it came to the assembly area, they had to first clear the area before they could take me through - potential for other brands, etc. being on the bench.

TimoJ

I wonder if Emotiva made the IOTAVX product? Or, vice-versa?
I have a Nakamichi AV1 preamp and it's partly very similar to Emotiva UMC-200. There are also few other models (NuForce AVP-18) that are similar. I think they all are made by Chinese manufacturer ToneWinner. And I can also verify that IOTA support is excellent.

astr0b0y

From the manual it appears that the sub-out has a low-pass filter but no indication of what frequency it is or whether it is adjustable. Any ideas on this?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The specs on any of thier products are scarce or non existing , so measurments will sure help all potential consumers . Thier HT pre pro sure looks interesting too.

wwenze

Major Contributor
The specs on any of thier products are scarce or non existing , so measurments will sure help all potential consumers . Thier HT pre pro sure looks interesting too.

Usually that raises a red flag for me, but we can wait.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
From the manual it appears that the sub-out has a low-pass filter but no indication of what frequency it is or whether it is adjustable. Any ideas on this?

I'm making an assumption that the subwoofer output on the SA3 is not frequency adjustable, but you'd have to perform that activity on the subwoofer plate amplifier itself, just like the Cambridge Audio CXA60, 80, 61 and 81. Though, in my case, I intent to use the SA3 just as a pre-amplifier to connect to my power amplifier with the MiniDSP integrated in-between, like I'm using it now in my current setup. After all the years of banging my head with subwoofer integration, the MiniDSP 2x4 HD has been the most valuable product that I've integrated into my system.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I've finally received my shipping confirmation from IOTAVX. Yeah!

Sadly, it appears that my communications with them to have the device shipped to Amir for testing and review didn't get updated and it appears the device is on its way to me instead. :oops::(:mad::confused:

Top Bottom