• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Stereo Amplifier Review

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How frequent are the increments in the Topping E30? When I had my Cambridge Audio 851N network player, I used the digital preamplifier section to power my Cambridge 851W power amplifier. The increments were too far apart - making the fine tuning of volume to suit your needs a bit hard. My intent was just to use the IOTAVX as a preamplifier only - along with Khadas Tone Board DAC. However, in waiting on the review, an Emotiva XPS-1 came along for a good price, so I opted for that. Not sure where I'll use the SA3 just yet - maybe in a 2nd system at some point.
I use the E30 with my Hypex NC400's and you can change the volume in half dB steps, its very precise.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think IOTAVZ will be a good, solid line of entry-level audiophile gear, especially if we can get Ian to tweak the DAC section. Their 7-channel AV Amplifier looks good too with about twice the power per channel as the integrated and balanced XLR inputs.

View attachment 64904

I have had a pair of the 7-channel power amps (Nakamichi version) for more than 5 years now and they've been solid reliable performers. No, not state of the art, but good well-built amps. I use them to drive my active Maggies and Linkwitz LX Minis. You can get an indication of their objective performance from this review here - pretty much the same amp but without the Nakamichi/IOTA balanced inputs.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but you should still realize that those "Nakamichi" products had nothing to do with the real Nakamichi gear from the 80s. All was made by Chinese manufacturer ToneWinner. Internally the SA3 seems to have nothing similar to their Nakamichi AV1 preamp. The SA3 should have earned a headless panther, but I think the low price saved it.

I've been into audio since 1958, and am well aware of the evolution and many, many, closings, mergers and takeovers in the industry - and that a Chinese holding company owns the Japanese brand "Nakamichi". Nakamichi U.S.A. seems to have found a profitable niche with aftermarket soundbars, and that is the only product line on their website.

Look at the posts and pics above, and you will see that IOTAVX is/was Nakamichi UK, and IOTAVX provides support for the earlier, pre-4K version of the Nakamichi AVP, which is very similar to the current IOTAVX version. I'm guessing that Nakamichi Japan/China lost interest in the product line, and guy who ran the the U.K. division took it over and rebadged it.

I like to know at least a bit about the companies and people I buy from, deal with, or associate with, whether they are mega-corporations, midsize companies, or one-man shops like that former Microsoft tech executive who tests loudspeakers in his Seattle area garage. :cool:

Garage Speakers.jpg

TimoJ

Look at the posts and pics above, and you will see that IOTAVX is/was Nakamichi UK, and IOTAVX provides support for the earlier, pre-4K version of the Nakamichi AVP, which is very similar to the current IOTAVX version. I'm guessing that Nakamichi Japan/China lost interest in the product line, and guy who ran the the U.K. division took it over and rebadged it.
Yes, I know they used Nakamichi name previously. I actually have two of their Nakamichi AV1 preamps, i.e. the pre 4K one (AVP1 is the poweramp). Bought one AV1 new from them and another broken one locally.
Not sure what the history is, did they buy the rights to use Nakamichi brand name or was there an earlier connection. But I think the product line was and still is one man's line and had no connection to the holding company. They also use/used third company name, Stylco.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's kinda funny that it gets destroyed by small amps like the Yamaha WXA50

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too - I'd think it would be more consistent across performance. But we already know the WXA-50 is a step above IOTAVX at same price.
It's kinda funny that it gets destroyed by small amps like the Yamaha WXA50

Destroyed??? No. But the Yammy does test out a bit better, although the features and performance of the two integrated amplifiers are actually pretty close.

Most people do not buy on features and price alone. Purchasing decision factors might include appearance/aesthetics, one's feelings/attitude about giant faceless corporations vs. small businesses where you can communicate with the owner, and personal prejudices regarding Class AB vs Class D.
I see both units as decent values, and could recommend that people consider either one, but neither one would fit in my current system.

My interest in this review and testing is strictly to try to learn about the quality and performance of IOTAVX components compared to their specifications and marketing hype. An IOTAVX 7.1 4K AV Preamp will arrive at my house next week, and I will not have the advantage of having had it tested and measured by @amirm. By the time I decided to order it, I had not yet found another 7.1 4K AVP with a similar feature set that included both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA outputs. Most AVP include a lot of "pay-for)" features that I don't want or need.

Last edited:

gfx_1

listening impressions?
I still like them more than my previous Marantz amplifiers :)

I did try to just feed the PA3 with the Topping D50s for a while that works great but I couldn't hear enough difference
and I like the round volume knob and still have a slight preference for the bridged amplifiers.

But listening test are hard to compare. If I could just sit still and press a button to switch, then maybe but moving
around changing cables I'll have to compare from memory and that's flawed.

One of the reviewers mentioned that they had a license for the Nakamichi name but it was just to expensive to maintain.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any measurements in bridged mode?
I did not take any. And the unit is packed going back to its owner. Sorry. :) I have huge number of boxes here and we can hardly walk in our living room now!

Appleguy33

I still like them more than my previous Marantz amplifiers :)

I did try to just feed the PA3 with the Topping D50s for a while that works great but I couldn't hear enough difference
and I like the round volume knob and still have a slight preference for the bridged amplifiers.

But listening test are hard to compare. If I could just sit still and press a button to switch, then maybe but moving
around changing cables I'll have to compare from memory and that's flawed.

One of the reviewers mentioned that they had a license for the Nakamichi name but it was just to expensive to maintain.

Thanks! I have a very similar experience. I have a topping D50 in which I hooked to it. Not at all the great measurements but the sound that I hear from the SA3 is exceptional!

Dogmeat88

Yes, but you should still realize that those "Nakamichi" products had nothing to do with the real Nakamichi gear from the 80s. All was made by Chinese manufacturer ToneWinner. Internally the SA3 seems to have nothing similar to their Nakamichi AV1 preamp. The SA3 should have earned a headless panther, but I think the low price saved it.

After your message I googled ToneWinner , and they have some interesting homecinema products, with DTS and Dolby licences, room EQ. Seems not widely available outside of China, but alibaba have some offers.
http://www.tonewinner.com/english/index.php/Product/detail/art_id/33.html

TimoJ

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Wow the ToneWinners is incredible! The Chinese manufacturers are not what they were. Someday Made in China may be coveted similar to Made in Japan.

Anyway, Thanks to Amir's review (thank you Amir) I was able to close the door on the Iota. In no way do I mean that it is not a great option but for my criteria, the downsides outweighs the benefits. I was really enticed by the set of features and all the reviews but ultimately I really do not care about a built in DAC if I would need to upgrade right out of the box, It's surprising a built-in DAC would start out not so good. Plus, although Amir did not test out the phono pre, I've already read reviews that the phono pre amp was so-so and you will eventually get a stand-alone. So two items will be circumvented.

So what attracted me to the Iota was the You Tube listening reviews describing its neutral presentation and sound; almost 70's vintage sound. So what was my other option? An actual vintage 70s pre and amp setup!

Yesterday, I went ahead and initiated a purchase of a Nikko Alpha II and Beta 20, both totally restored, recapped etc last November by Austin Stereo in Austin TX. Nice people to deal with on the phone and they will be there for me if I ever encounter tech problems. These amps are so traditional and basic, they're like vintage cars from the 70's, before all the computerization. They can always be serviced. These units now have at least a 20 year lease on hi fi life! No DAC of course but supposedly a very good phono stage mm and mc. I'll be using my Schiit Mani DAC and can always upgrade later if I want to.

I've been obsessed with this decision since February and can now move forward knowing I did the absolute best research possible. For the last month or so, it has been between this Iotavx and the Nikko gear.

I really appreciate Amir's skill, time and also for wje's donation to help make it happen.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK on SINAD, but not enough power for me.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK on SINAD, but not enough power for me.

Reading Amir's review, it seems that he was suggesting that it would be a good option for a desktop system for those who do a lot of their listening and video watching via a desktop PC, and don't have a big listening room or dedicated AV or music playback system. I agree - to me it looks to be good for a desktop - or a dedicated music system in a small room.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Xulonn my idea of a desktop system is sitting in front of my main system with a notebook computer. If I really feel lazy I use that notebook with a Grace M9xx DAC/headamp and HD6xx in bed. Yeah, I know desktop systems are a big thing.

gfx_1

After your message I googled ToneWinner , and they have some interesting homecinema products, with DTS and Dolby licences, room EQ. Seems not widely available outside of China, but alibaba have some offers.
http://www.tonewinner.com/english/index.php/Product/detail/art_id/33.html
I looked at the pictures on the chinese language site they also have some nice looking amplifiers and loudspeakers, not cheap converting the yuan price to eur/usd but not extreme audiophile territory. They do build the bookshelves from 21 mm MDF.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Xulonn my idea of a desktop system is sitting in front of my main system with a notebook computer. If I really feel lazy I use that notebook with a Grace M9xx DAC/headamp and HD6xx in bed. Yeah, I know desktop systems are a big thing.

I don't need a laptop for portability and I like using a standard, detached wireless keyboard and a nice big monitor. Therefore, I have a mini-desktop PC (Intel NUC8i7 running Windows 10), wireless keyboard and mouse, and an excellent 1080p HP 24" monitor on a desk in my rental casita's second bedroom (no bed present).

Although I do not listen to music all of the time while at the computer, I do have an excellent little desktop sound system. Digital audio out is via USB to an I.AM.D v200 DAC/Amp and a pair of Q-Acoustics 3010 speakers. Fantastic sound for a desktop system, but the Q-Acoustics speakers are a bit to long front to back for my little desk. The I.AM.D v200 DAC/Amp ($92 from Aliexpress for non Bluetooth version and no PS brick) is a truly excellent little component. It is based on the TI-TAS5614LA chip, and has plenty of power, a nice little remote - and no noise or hiss. I much prefer it to the more expensive and flimsy SMSL Q5 Pro, whose USB connection I could never get to work, while the I.AM.D. v200 connect and worked the minute I plugged it in. The IOTAVX PA3 would be way ovekill for my desktop, because I don't need or want the extra features - or the weight of a Class-AB amplifier.

Top Bottom