• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inventor compact cassette Lou Ottens passed

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cassettes didn't play a role in hip-hop in the early days. Cassettes WERE hip-hop.Cassette: A documentary Mixtape

"Cassettes are time travel, right?," writer ROB SHEFFIELD says in Taylor's documentary "If, God forbid, the day would come that I don't remember the SECRET STARS or I don't remember the RAINCOATS or I don't remember the SOFTIES, I'll be able to go through a shoebox of these tapes and go, like, yup, this. I remember this. I will not forget this. These moments that would otherwise be lost in time like tears and rain."

So someone invented time travel. He invented hip-hop, too, And punk-rock. And mixtapes. And GRATEFUL DEAD fans. Oh, and he did his best to kill his own baby. Still at Philips in the early '80s, he was on the team that invented the CD

Link to excellent Redef article.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another artcile in The Guardian: Lou Ottens, inventor of the cassette tape, dies aged 94 | Netherlands | The Guardian

Nice quote at the end...

Ottens, who died on Saturday, had little patience with the renewed popularity of the cassette tape – or even vinyl.

“Nothing can match the sound of the CD,” he had told the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad. “It is absolutely noise and rumble-free. That never worked with tape … I have made a lot of record players and I know that the distortion with vinyl is much higher. I think people mainly hear what they want to hear.”

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Saw this posted at the Polk forums a few days ago.
I did not realize that one individual at Philips had been as involved as he in both the genesis of the CompactCassette and the CD ("digital audio disk") until I read his obit.

in memoriam Lou Ottens 2021.jpg

(nice photo of Mr. Ottens posted on the Polk forums by moderator Kenneth Swauger)

End of an era (hiss and 'rumble' notwithstanding).

casettebirthday_v2-lrg by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

pencil stat by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

tapes of questionable repute by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not long after the debut in 1963, the cassette headed towards HiFi goals:

Advent Model 200 Cassette Tape Deck.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have sweet memories with voices of people I miss, recorded with the supplied mike on this one

1615500288260.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
after the Model 200, Advent shifted to a Wollensak transport - dunno if they kept the Nakamichi Research electronics

I had both units, tho this is a stock photo:

Advent Model 201 Cassette Tape Deck.jpg

But what I lusted after was the Nakamichi 1000, which I first saw when one of my professors invited a bunch of us kids over to his home.

Top Bottom