• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introductions anyone?

Martincore

Hi there!

I just started getting into hi-fi, and this forum seems like a good fit for my audio leanings and interests. I'm mostly here to lurk and learn to begin with.

I kinda stumbled upon this forum actually, when I was looking into the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 as a possible first step into serious headphone dac/amps, but after seeing the measurements for the NFB-27.38 I'm not so sure about that. I'm hoping for measurements of the NFB-11.28 or R2R-11 in the future, just to be completely sure that it wasn't just the 27.38 that was horrible.

Even though I'm new to hi-fi, I'm not new to audio as such. I've been a musician for years, so I know a little bit about some things but not a lot about anything.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about audio science in the future.

Cheers,
Martin.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Hi there!

I just started getting into hi-fi, and this forum seems like a good fit for my audio leanings and interests. I'm mostly here to lurk and learn to begin with.

I kinda stumbled upon this forum actually, when I was looking into the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 as a possible first step into serious headphone dac/amps, but after seeing the measurements for the NFB-27.38 I'm not so sure about that. I'm hoping for measurements of the NFB-11.28 or R2R-11 in the future, just to be completely sure that it wasn't just the 27.38 that was horrible.

Even though I'm new to hi-fi, I'm not new to audio as such. I've been a musician for years, so I know a little bit about some things but not a lot about anything.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about audio science in the future.

Cheers,
Martin.
Well it's about audibility in music listening. Things like R2R and non feedback designs usually display greater levels of distortion. Not that R2R HAS to but it's harder to make it that it doesn't.
The tough bit is putting things in to meaningful context. At what point do those things become relevant in day to day listening and in what way? At least imo. Most here will say get the best measuring piece for piece of mind.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum Martin and thanks for the introduction. I love to measure other Audio GD products if members loan them to me.

And oh, those are two cute dogs in your avatar!

Last edited:

Martincore

Welcome to the forum Martin and thanks for the introduction. I love to measure other Audio GD products if members loan them to me.

And how, those are two cute dogs in your avatar!

Surely somebody has one of those lying around - from what I've read they've been quite hyped in some circles for the last year or so.

Oh, and yes, those dogs are super cute, but just a picture I found on Google. I wish I had a corgi.

FunctionalDoc

Welcome Martin.

Those are cutes dogs and yes we have 4 Cardian Corgi's. This forum is about 90 % measurement and say 10% opinion. Love that it is truly independent of adverstisers.

Hrodulf

Hey!

I've been a more or less serious headphone listener since 2011., but I've loved music my entire life. Mostly blame my dad for that as back in the day he was a casette pirate and I've had a pretty vast collection of music at my disposal. Ive built 3 headphone amps and 1 dac, but lately my DIY efforts have been put to halt due to a busy schedule.

For almost 4 years I've been part of Sonarworks, but in a week I'm leaving the audio biz. Mostly because it's been having a detrimental effect on my hobby. Maybe I'll do some gigs on the side, but overall - I'm pretty burnt out.

My listening system at home is a bit peculiar - Genelec 8050A (analog filters, class AB amps, yumm!), custom built 200l subs (2x12" SB acoustics drivers, 23Hz tuning), IMG Stageline STA-800D (Hypex 400W uCD modules) for the sub. An RME ADI-2 Pro AE does all the conversion, while a Mac Mini does transport and DSP duty. Overall it sounds great, but I'm in the process of designing a 3-way system to replace my Gennies. I'm sure that a dedicated midrange driver might get me a better sound. Still torn between using SB acoustics and Scanspeak Hi-fi drivers or do a super sensitive (and hella loud!) pro driver build. Pro compression drivers don't sit right with me, however...

I hope I can contribute well to your discussions, I'm not much of a scientist, but I do know a thing or two how marketing works and have some experience with audio media.

Best,
Rudi

Swtoby

Greetings all. I'm Scott Tobias (swtoby). I came to this hobby first with my love of movie soundtracks enjoyed on my dad's Marantz receiver and AR 11 speakers. Then came Vandersteen speakers, PSE Studio IV amp and Rotel CD player. If i could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have stopped there. But, with way too much money courtesy of a trust fund and zero sense of my own, I jumped off the deep end of the High End: Spectral, Theta, Avalon, MIT. After that I came across a magazine called The Audio Critic and that started a long transition to a more objectivist way of looking at audio. In addition, Carl Sagan and James Randi are two of my heroes. Current gear: back to Vandersteen, the model 2, Crown amp, JDS labs DAC, O2 amp and passive preamp, a collection of headphones and Raspberry Pi playing back my movie soundtracks. I'm thrilled a flash drive can contain ALL my beloved Jerry Goldsmith scores without me hunting for the CDs. It's great going from Rambo 2 to Hoosiers to Poltergeist almost instantly. John Williams is ok too. Now i find this website. I like it.

palamudin

Sorry, I'm not.
Welcome anyway <3
P.S. If you were the AV guy, some fanboy sounds would be produced, doesnt matter, one more at the party is good enough for me, so yea, welcome.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Greetings all. I'm Scott Tobias (swtoby). I came to this hobby first with my love of movie soundtracks enjoyed on my dad's Marantz receiver and AR 11 speakers. Then came Vandersteen speakers, PSE Studio IV amp and Rotel CD player. If i could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have stopped there. But, with way too much money courtesy of a trust fund and zero sense of my own, I jumped off the deep end of the High End: Spectral, Theta, Avalon, MIT. After that I came across a magazine called The Audio Critic and that started a long transition to a more objectivist way of looking at audio. In addition, Carl Sagan and James Randi are two of my heroes. Current gear: back to Vandersteen, the model 2, Crown amp, JDS labs DAC, O2 amp and passive preamp, a collection of headphones and Raspberry Pi playing back my movie soundtracks. I'm thrilled a flash drive can contain ALL my beloved Jerry Goldsmith scores without me hunting for the CDs. It's great going from Rambo 2 to Hoosiers to Poltergeist almost instantly. John Williams is ok too. Now i find this website. I like it.
Hi Scott ,

Thanks for introducing yourself and taking the time to sign up and start contributing, it’s greatly appreciated.

ripvw

Forum Donor
Hi, my name is Gary and I'm a music lover...

Formerly employed in the consumer electronics industry and worked for several retailers each of whom was the largest retailer in the market until they went out of business - Circuit City being a name you might remember. Began my career in sales, then store management and finally corporate trainer. For a very brief time at CBS (Pacific Stereo) Richard Schram of Parasound fame was my bosses boss. Left retail after 20-years and went back to school and got a computer science degree, was a Microsoft Office trainer while putting myself through school. Got a job with a scum-sucking oil company in their IT department and worked in both Houston and later New Brunswick Canada for about 12 years before I had leave Canada for health reasons.

Now retired and no longer an audiophile as I cannot afford it - good thing I switched to pro audio gear over a decade ago and even better that the stuff still works. Love lots of different types of music including classical, jazz, classic rock and country. Used to own a Linn LP12 and had about 10-feet of records, now own hundreds of CD's but having discovered Tidal recently I expect CD purchases will come to a screeching halt soon. I have always enjoyed reading about the technical side of consumer electronics and once had connections with many of the largest audio and video companies via my work as a corporate sales, product and management trainer. Attended every CES for about 20 years in a row and also attended many hi-fi shows and the occasional Los Angeles area AES meeting and NAMM show. I miss the people and the information sources - don't miss retail.

Now living in San Luis Obispo county on California's central coast less than a mile from the ocean, caring for my 86-year old mom for the last few years as I'm both retired and twice-divorced single. She's doing great by the way - thanks for asking.

Enjoy reading this forum and will try to contribute from time to time - lots of thanks to Amir for creating the site and for his investment in time and money in doing all the testing - truly remarkable amount of quality work.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Gary. Welcome to the forum. Such a well written bio. You live in SLO which is one of my favorite parts of California coastline! I too subscribed to Tidal about 18 months ago and I think I have bought maybe two CDs since. More money to spend on other things in life! :)

Look forward to seeing you around the forum and thanks for the kind words regarding the work we are doing here.

Merkurio

Hi, another audiophile & melomanian aficionado from Mexico right there!

I really love the objective and scientific approach of audio topics (particulary in a hobby full of subjectivist crap with self-convincing and commercial biases) and I discovered this forum days ago looking for measurements of DACs/AMPs/DAPs.

Glad I did it! I've been learning a lot about audio science in the past months but many subjects discussed here are way above my undestanding level, so it's a great place for a restless mind.

Actually I don't have many gear to drive my cans (just a Schiit Magni 3 feeded direct from my PC's motherboard line out, a MBP and my regular phone) but reading those comprehensive DAC measurements, I'm interested enough in pick something from Topping or SMSL and who knows, maybe sell the Magni 3 in a near future and get a full chinese stack.

Also I'm looking for a proper DAP as my phone's audio line out it's not very competent (lots of hiss and an easily noticiable high output impedance with my sensible Massdrop Plus iems), what a pity that there're almost no DAP measurements, it would make things much easier for me!

I hope to can learn many new things and contribute to the very best of my abilities.

A very cordial greetings to all!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome aboard @Merkurio. That is one cool avatar you got there!

I like to test a lot more DAPs. Alas a lot of them are expensive so I am not in a position to purchase them myself. If members have others they like to loan I would be happy to measure them.

Merkurio

Welcome aboard @Merkurio. That is one cool avatar you got there!

I like to test a lot more DAPs. Alas a lot of them are expensive so I am not in a position to purchase them myself. If members have others they like to loan I would be happy to measure them.

Thanks, it's the Danger 5 original soundtrack cover, such an hilarious series (at least the first season)!

As for the DAPs, yeah, pretty expensive little things (although there are several interesting offers in the $100 territory, such as the new Shanling M0).

Do you know where I can find a kind of reliably database with DAP measurements out there, amirm?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you know where I can find a kind of reliably database with DAP measurements out there, amirm?
There is not one that I know of. Hence the reason I am offering to test more of them.

Top Bottom