• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introduction to Audio Science Review YouTube Channel

BigSweeny

"Where we pretend to know a lot more about audio than we really do"

1614757590188.png

I think this intro is my new favourite :D

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
amirm
WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS BEAUTIFUL T-SHIRT ? :cool: IS IT FOR SALE ON EBAY OR AMAZON ?

D

Deleted member 27694

What a great video. Simpatico. Kudos.

I have question about measurements, age and range of human hearing. If I am not mistaken it is 20 to 20,000 Hz. But for most people over 40/50 > 12,000 Hz is hard to hear.

So we can measure much more than we can hear. I am often under the impression that the community overemphasis measurements that are visible but not audible.

Is that so or am I just plain wrong?

Thank you!

respice finem

Major Contributor
A lot more can be measured than heard, and with age the "gap" gets larger, but it's the brain that really hears. It's like with using a colorimeter, the thing can measure a colour range no individual can ever see. Yet, it cannot really see, and this individual can. So, we are probably overestimating what our senses can do while underestimating what our brain can do. Think of a child in a concert hall. The child will be able to hear much more than probably any of the musicians, but the child's hearing is less "educated", less "aware".

Last edited:

Plcamp

Nice to see that the glasses are on again, gives you more authority;)
Fun video!

A monocle might be even more convincing?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
One of the big differences between you and most of these clowns, in addition to knowing what you are talking about, is that you are actually funny. They are the scary clowns, you are the happy clown.

Really enjoying your videos, the growth there has been amazing and it won't be long before your subscriptions there are higher than here. If the videos can be used as a sort of funnel for people who want to get more into the details here, that will be great for the community.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice intro... Should have used Red Vines and eaten the entire time while talking. Red Vines sound better than anything else. :D

eddantes

ASR - where we get on the roller coaster of knowledge! (I've no idea where I am. I seem to be oscilating between childs hill and insecure canyon... or maybe I'm climbing the grown-up mountain?)

1614777795361.png

(Graphic liberaly pilfered from Tim Urban's twitter stream)

jam

Very funny Amir. That's a great way to introduce the channel with humour and showing folks that you're open and don't take yourself too seriously unlike most other pompous reviewers in the industry. Yet, you drew the line on the sand unmistakenly, describing your mission statement succinctly and clearly. Nicely done!

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What a great video. Simpatico. Kudos.

I have question about measurements, age and range of human hearing. If I am not mistaken it is 20 to 20,000 Hz. But for most people over 40/50 > 12,000 Hz is hard to hear.

So we can measure much more than we can hear. I am often under the impression that the community overemphasis measurements that are visible but not audible.

Is that so or am I just plain wrong?

Thank you!
Issues at 20kHz might introduce harmonics at 10kHz you can hear.

ASR - where we get on the roller coaster of knowledge! (I've no idea where I am. I seem to be oscilating between childs hill and insecure canyon... or maybe I'm climbing the grown-up mountain?)

View attachment 116003

(Graphic liberaly pilfered from Tim Urban's twitter stream)
That's just the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Top Bottom