• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introduction to Audio Science Review YouTube Channel

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really glad to see this video on the "Reviews" splash page. Well done.

DNA16S

Congratulations for the YT channel!!

Kin

An intro video for the Audio Science Review Youtube channel.

Sorry to bother you, could you please tell me how to cooperate with you? I love your reviews and the forum

pads

I've been patiently waiting for a balanced, scientifically based banana review and I'm not leaving till I get one.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I never saw the introductory video by Amir but now I can understand a bit more about his writing and communication style. I love how he struggles to conceal the laugh, the overflowing irony and how those elements are combined with the seriousness of someone who is methodic in the procedures and methods.

I can see why people take him for a grumpy egghead. I think he isn´t, and something tells me he likes to play the character of angry engineer. While engineer is true, angry, not so much.

DonDish

Nice video @amirm ! I like your humoristic and non BS approach :D Audiophilia has always been a game of pretension, so your spot on. Set the rules, let the games begin :D

Myself Ive always been a lover of music and music/audio. About a year ago I set out to get some balance control solution for my stupidly minimalistic Hegel amp, and ended up with a RME ADI-2 DAC. Now Im the proud owner of UCXII, ADI-2 PRO fsr and Digiface USB(I gave the DAC to my son) In short a small studio, and I cant even strike a chord :D The sound quality and the amount of control I could take over the digital signals just blew my mind.

Another thing I noticed about the ADI-2 DAC is the sound improvment I got over the internal converter of the Hegel H80. I was under the spell that digital is digital and that it would always be stellar in some way. Its not!

Ive been hanging around here for some weeks and im in some digestive mode about this SINAD concept and what it actually proves. Is it a keyhole approach or does show a bigger picture, WTH if we all agreed we would have nothing to talk about!

So thnx to all the crazy people running this site and similar.

KeesW2560

This is a guy I really respect for his knowledge, not those paid story tellers called reviewers.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Great job Amir. Saw this today, thought it might be fun niw that your making these videos.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Your video @amirm also mentioned the Wild West of gain staging, in particular what input voltage drives an amp to max power. (I asked about that recently here.) Now after watching the video I think displaying input voltage as a secondary scale together with output power on the horizontal axis of your power amp sweeps could be useful in improving that situation. You typically show a cursor on the graph like below so we could simply read an input voltage from that.

Is there any subjectivity on your part in the position of that cursor? (I really don't know.)

Progress out of the Wild West would be development rough consensus on the voltage range we like to see that cursor land in. I guess there would be one range for RCA inputs and another for XLR/TRS. (And a dBFS range for digital? hmm)

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there any subjectivity on your part in the position of that cursor? (I really don't know.)
Well sort of except that is not the main limitation. The main issue is that the analyzer steps are coarse in that region. So the amp may go from say, 100 watts in one step to 110 in the other. The actual clipping point may then be 105 watts but I am forced to pick either one of those two points. I pick the point where the graph clearly changes slope and indicates clipping. Usually this is clear but often is not. You could ask why I don't add more points. Problem is that this would keep the amp at is clipping/max power for a lot longer, risking damage.

Either way, there is another issue that I may be picking an amp clipping point at SINAD of 100, and another at SINAD of 50. To remedy this, I added those two max and peak power measurements where THD is kept constant at 1% and then power is computed. So if you want exact numbers, this is the value to look at. The purpose of the power sweep is to show the performance along the way.

As to adding voltage, I have done this in other tests and it significantly impairs readability. You can however see this now in the reactive tests I do:

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Progress out of the Wild West would be development rough consensus on the voltage range we like to see that cursor land in. I guess there would be one range for RCA inputs and another for XLR/TRS. (And a dBFS range for digital? hmm)
Note that recently I have started to show the approximate voltage level you need for max power in the SNR measurements:

index.php

Notice the "3.1 volt" notation in the top right. I am eyeballing that but it is pretty close, within 0.1 volt or so.

Top Bottom