• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introduction to Audio Science Review YouTube Channel

D

Deleted member 27694

Thank you!

But that is a thread about how (high) individuals on this forum can hear. Not about my assumption that people tend to overemphasis measurements that (maybe) often show phenomenons that are not audible.

Is it really so that if something with a headphone is wrong at 18-20 kHZ than you can measure an effect at 10-12?

Seems unlikely to me. But i just don’t know.

Just to clarify: of course I think that measurements are very important and helpful. I very much prefer it to the often nonsensical and inventive language of „semi or professional” reviewers. But my dream setup would be something like 5 trained listeners (experts) for classical music 5 for pop 5 for Metal and then blind testing (as far as possible) and then to accompany with measurements. I would also want a follow up test by the same people a week or so later. Just to see if the valuation changes. Maybe something like that is already done I don’t know. Afaik harman was done with a different setup. But maybe i am wrong. and since this is hypothetical i dont think about money etc. but for a company like apple who just introduced a $599 headphone this should be easy to do. Again maybe they did?

Last edited by a moderator:

nimar

Forum Donor
Thank you!

But that is a thread about how (high) individuals on this forum can hear. Not about my assumption that people tend to overemphasis measurements that (maybe) often show phenomenons that are not audible.

Is it really so that if something with a headphone is wrong at 18-20 kHZ than you can measure an effect at 10-12?

Seems unlikely to me. But i just don’t know.

Just to clarify: of course I think that measurements are very important and helpful. I very much prefer it to the often nonsensical and inventive language of „semi or professional” reviewers. But my dream setup would be something like 5 trained listeners (experts) for classical music 5 for pop 5 for Metal and then blind testing (as far as possible) and then to accompany with measurements. I would also want a follow up test by the same people a week or so later. Just to see if the valuation changes. Maybe something like that is already done I don’t know. Afaik harman was done with a different setup. But maybe i am wrong. and since this is hypothetical i dont think about money etc. but for a company like apple who just introduced a $599 headphone this should be easy to do. Again maybe they did?

Are you aware of the Harman listening lab, if not that’s pretty much what they do, if so, how is that not what you are suggesting?

D

Deleted member 27694

Are you aware of the Harman listening lab, if not that’s pretty much what they do, if so, how is that not what you are suggesting?

Thank you!

I mentioned harman in my post. But I admit I have limited knowledge.

„Harman’s first effort involved a blind test of six over-ear headphones, followed by measurements of those response curves to see which response pleased the most listeners.“

My (false?) understanding is that the listeners involved are mostly random and not trained listener. And the goal was to find the most pleasing sound for most listeners and that imho does not mean the most neutral or correct sound. Most people prefer a chessburger with fries over a salad with chicken.

nimar

Forum Donor
Thank you!

I mentioned harman in my post. But I admit I have limited knowledge.

„Harman’s first effort involved a blind test of six over-ear headphones, followed by measurements of those response curves to see which response pleased the most listeners.“

My (false?) understanding is that the listeners involved are mostly random and not trained listener. And the goal was to find the most pleasing sound for most listeners and that imho does not mean the most neutral or correct sound. Most people prefer a chessburger with fries over a salad with chicken.

I must have not read clearly enough. In Tooles book he discusses that amongst staff they identified the more able listeners and as the years went by they had become experts at it. Ie. consistent between tests, faster to identify issues etc. And they would use a mix of the “trained” and “untrained” individuals. And they used a mix of music genres though some other research has shown certain genres are preferred for testing, generally the cheeseburger variety. Yet the same speakers win regardless of genre.

I don’t know if the junk food analogy can be extended to the preference for a mostly flat (tilted) response curve. People eat cheeseburgers because they light up more pleasure centres in the brain than a salad, one might be better for you but less enjoyable.

Is bass heavy music unhealthy?

As for experts, I see a place for an expert acoustic or vocal musician to judge how life like reproduction is, but for other genres that are electronically created or amplified in the first place, is there a true sound they can be compared against?

In essence I think the Harman approach is probably the best one to take when judging a subjective field. Increase your sample rate and average.

D

Deleted member 27694

I must have not read clearly enough. In Tooles book he discusses that amongst staff they identified the more able listeners and as the years went by they had become experts at it. Ie. consistent between tests, faster to identify issues etc. And they would use a mix of the “trained” and “untrained” individuals. And they used a mix of music genres though some other research has shown certain genres are preferred for testing, generally the cheeseburger variety. Yet the same speakers win regardless of genre.

I don’t know if the junk food analogy can be extended to the preference for a mostly flat (tilted) response curve. People eat cheeseburgers because they light up more pleasure centres in the brain than a salad, one might be better for you but less enjoyable.

Is bass heavy music unhealthy?

As for experts, I see a place for an expert acoustic or vocal musician to judge how life like reproduction is, but for other genres that are electronically created or amplified in the first place, is there a true sound they can be compared against?

In essence I think the Harman approach is probably the best one to take when judging a subjective field. Increase your sample rate and average.

Thank you very much. That makes sense to me. And since I just bought the AKG K371 I can say that to my ears they sound absolut perfect.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
“Is it really so that if something with a headphone is wrong at 18-20 kHZ than you can measure an effect at 10-12?”

The spectrum of a signal that repeats at frequency x has components only at frequency x and integer multiples of x.

thats_it

Hopefully, Amir will do many targeted videos ... SBAF, hydrogenaudio, head-fi, etc. Both flaws and virtues of each camp.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Well I liked the chewing. It was high fidelity, even on YouTube. And that’s what we are after.

semi seriously, one thing reading Mr.Linkwitz’ efforts that struck me was his suggestion to spend time listening to real sounds, and comparing them to recorded examples of the same thing.

what if there were double blind tests where the listeners could not distinguish between a real glass breaking, and a recording of a similar event? There’s a real test.

even if you use bananas!

what if there were double blind tests where the listeners could not distinguish between a real glass breaking, and a recording of a similar event?

This brings back memories of "is it live or is it Memorex?"

lawk

Can we have headphone reviews on this channel? I really like headphone review channels.

cabacon

Perfect! Finally you can just play music on the speakers in a YouTube video so we can tell what they all sound like.

[Yes, I really saw someone try to do this once]

lawk

I read the review of Aeon RT and got it. I am very happy with it. I will follow the reviews also for source equipment. Was watching the topping stuff now. Great content. Thank you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was pleased to see that in terms of subscribers, views, and comments, you're doing very well for someone just starting out with a YouTube channel.
It is well beyond my expectations. It is a credit to the community appreciating the content and spreading the word.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like this introductory video. Although, the ending has a sort of weird familiarity, almost a deja vu kind of thing.

Bueller? ... Bueller? ... Bueller?

pads

Enough of the can you test this, can you test that, the important question is.... Where did you get that lamp?

Top Bottom