• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Drop + THX AAA ONE Linear Amplifier (Pre-orders @ $149)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Noise (A-wt): 0.95 uV, potentiometer at nil

At "nil" a typical potentiometer shorts the wiper to the end of the track. It's essentially a shorted input spec.

Perhaps if they gave us a worst case noise spec through the pot rotation instead of a best case it'd mean something.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that's what you guys want I can change that in a snap. The gain settings.
Maybe take a vote? I'm going to buy it one way or another, even if it's different from the current version.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
At "nil" a typical potentiometer shorts the wiper to the end of the track. It's essentially a shorted input spec.

Perhaps if they gave us a worst case noise spec through the pot rotation instead of a best case it'd mean something.
Well, at least it reflects the output buffer's noise, which still means something. Also, with sensitive IEMs you only need to increase the volume just a little bit, so I am expecting the noise to be very low till 9-10 o'clock as well.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If that's what you guys want I can change that in a snap. The gain settings.
Off-toppic, I know and sorry for this!

Given that most DACs are outputting between 2...2.3 V RMS, I consider a real highlight for L30 having a higher gain (unless it's a marketing decision). This way it will start clipping @ 32 Ohms close to max. potentiometer level when feed with 2.1-2.2 V and it will drive even more hard-to-drive cans.

I was using my uber-sensitive IEMs (about 122 dB/V SPL @ 20 Ohms) with unity gain headamps with success and I never felt that I needed a lower gain than unity. I do understand the importance of the -9 dB gain setting (hearing safety is a top priority here), but I still find it too low. Maybe -6 dB would make much sense...just my 2 cents.

As for the highest gain I would anytime swap 9 dB gain with 12 dB gain.

Looking further for some measurements on this THX-AAA-One headamp, especially the 50 mV SINAD versus the L30 with unity gain.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Off-toppic, I know and sorry for this!

Given that most DACs are outputting between 2...2.3 V RMS, I consider a real highlight for L30 having a higher gain (unless it's a marketing decision). This way it will start clipping @ 32 Ohms close to max. potentiometer level when feed with 2.1-2.2 V and it will drive even more hard-to-drive cans.

I was using my uber-sensitive IEMs (about 122 dB/V SPL @ 20 Ohms) with unity gain headamps with success and I never felt that I needed a lower gain than unity. I do understand the importance of the -9 dB gain setting (hearing safety is a top priority here), but I still find it too low. Maybe -6 dB would make much sense...just my 2 cents.

As for the highest gain I would anytime swap 9 dB gain with 12 dB gain.

Looking further for some measurements on this THX-AAA-One headamp, especially the 50 mV SINAD versus the L30 with unity gain.
L30 is stayed as that. Original design was to keep clipping out of the way and the gain settings are more comfortable to toggle between without too much jump. A30pro will need larger gain.
But either way at max it's not a real world concern. Just that people think we lied, that's what upsets me.
On the note of the One, A50s offers true balanced output for the similar price. And it's CNC'd aluminum brick. As someone else said, it's just too little too late. Drop thought it was still 2018. Nah. It's 2021 babe.

Veri

Master Contributor
L30 is stayed as that. Original design was to keep clipping out of the way and the gain settings are more comfortable to toggle between without too much jump. A30pro will need larger gain.
I think the gain is fine, -9dB I usually max out, untill I need more and go to unity gain. High gain I use very rarely, and for those that need more power than l30, upcoming A30 Pro seems perfect candidate :)

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Mine arrived a few days ago. Solid and well built. When switched on, seems to power down and up with signal, but can't find that documented anywhere. Good for the intro price I paid ($150), maybe stiffer competition at current price ($200).

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
Looks pretty bland for a $200 product.

It is plain looking, but having just taken mine out of its packaging the case feels like a nicely finished aluminium extrusion.
The push buttons do feel cheap, but rotaries seem acceptable.
Mine is likely to be used as a preamp for various audio experiments, so looks are not high on my list of needs, low noise and neutral presentation are important to me.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
I have been using my new THX AAA One Linear with my headphones this morning and it sounds pretty good.
I have just moved it into my HiFi system as a preamp, fronting up my Naim NAP 300DR power amp.

Sounds none too shabby for £150 plus customs duty and handling charge. Remote controlled volume would be handy though!

Last edited:

PuX

it's $150 again for prime week.

I guess at that price it might be competitive, although there was no review, so not sure.
it has a metal case, which should be nicer than Atom, which is made from cheap-feeling plastic.

harrisonjr98

Wish there was an Amir review, I'm tempted at $150 as a sidegrade from my Atom. I'm happily shallow enough to admit that the metal build and more substantial volume dial are the driving factors of my temptation :p Feature-wise it looks virtually identical, just with 3 gain stages instead of 2 (nice for IEMs?) and more power all around.

D

Deleted member 33254

Can any owners confirm that the 3A1 has muting relays on the start up and power down and there are no pop sounds during the operation?

roog

Forum Donor
You can hear a relay click about 1.5 seconds after switching on by the front push button. At the same time, the light on the front panel changes from red to white.

With the power amp already on, I hear no switch on clicks or thumps when switching on the THX AAA One Linear.

48EC1EA9-179C-4F99-9F60-6A43ED81107A.jpeg

hope this helps

harrisonjr98

Another quick question from a prospective buyer while it’s on sale. Do the 3 gain stages affect the pre-out volume at all? On my JDS atom, the lower gain stage lowers the pre-out volume (a behavior I’m actually not a fan of.) In general, are the pre-outs decent? I know you can only expect so much for this kind of thing.

roog

Forum Donor
Yes, the 3 stage gain switch does affect the level from the preamp output.
not easy to convey how well it sounds subjectively, I note that it measures well and so I would not expect it to overly colour the sound and it allows me to run my DAC at fixed-line output, which is my current experiment. It sounds good to me and given that it is now $150 it is worth a go if you are in the market for a simple headphone amp or manual pre amp.

Last edited:

filipduarte

The AAA One is at $150 again for the summer sale.
Maybe they are now starting to see that 150 is a good price.
199 is too overpriced over the competition.

Top Bottom