• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intro

murl

I just joined the forum this morning after reading intermittently for a few weeks. At our last home I had definitive technology speakers and a marantz receiver. Got into headphones when we had kids so that I could avoid making noise and waking the kids. Now we live in a condo with no speakers and only headphones. My current set up is Audeze LCD-4s using a chord mojo. Have been looking for a new Dac/amp preferably all in one box. Was considering the Hugo TT 2 until I started doing some reading here. I am realizing I have probably confused what sounds best with my own personal bias that if I spend more it has to be better. Look forward to learning more about the topic. Thanks for having me.

OP
M

murl

Two fold. I want a desktop option that is not battery powered. I don't think the mojo drives the LCD-4s very well. I used it previously with LCD-3s and have been using it with the 4s. I compared it to a friends Oppo HA-1 and the LCD-4s sounded better with his amp. That was a very subjective comparison.

OP
M

murl

I just finished reading the review on two Monolith amplifiers. Have been buying cables from Monoprice for years.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also ditched battery-powered headphone amps once I tried out an RME ADI-2 DAC using Audeze headphones and Sennheiser HD800's. The difference in bass response and control was considerable. The RME is small and sits comfortably on a small table next to my bed. Heck, it's so small, it fits anywhere.

OP
M

murl

That RME looks nice as well. Does anyone on here like/use any of the Benchmark products?

OP
M

murl

Also I am not opposed to separates. The monolith THX AAA 887 also looked nice.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That RME looks nice as well. Does anyone on here like/use any of the Benchmark products?
Of course. Extremely robust construction, and they operate like precision instruments. However, they don't have the control flexibility of RME and are 2x the price. Made in USA.

OP
M

murl

Does the RME play nicely with Roon?

OP
M

murl

The Matrix Audio Element X looks really nice and functions as a roon endpoint which is a bonus. Not sure if that is worth an extra $2k. An Allo bridge is prettt cheap but I would have to use the WiFi dongle.

OP
M

murl

I ended up buying the Matrix Audio Element X. Should be nice and they said it was just Roon certified.

OP
M

murl

I received the Element X. What a nice device. It sounds fantastic and has all of the features I was looking for.

Top Bottom