• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interviewed Jason Lord from Source AV

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see he peddles the same disinformation on cables as a few others and uses the classic tactic of stating facts (i.e. different metals have different properties and metallurgy can tell us a lot about materials properties) out of context to pretend that they are positing a rational scientific case in support of a case when in fact they are obfuscating and misleading people. Nobody denies that different materials have different conductive properties, even most lay people with no scientific or technical background know that. The question for audio cables is whether different cables make any difference to signal transmission, and if it does is it enough to be audible. Clearly cables do affect transmission as they have to be correctly specified for the intended load, and connections can affect things but that just means that for audio use you need the right gauge and half decent connections, which you can get for peanuts, the free interconnects bundled with hardware for example work perfectly well.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Man... respect for transcribing all of that! I must have spent half hour and only got half-way through. :)

I stopped when he made comments about a dead listening room being better. That certainly is not the case although in a home theater that he was speaking of, is manageable since the surrounds provide the sense of space.

OP
K

kp297

Man... respect for transcribing all of that! I must have spent half hour and only got half-way through. :)

I stopped when he made comments about a dead listening room being better. That certainly is not the case although in a home theater that he was speaking of, is manageable since the surrounds provide the sense of space.

Thanks, but I would suggest to try to keep reading. There is a lot of great stuff after that!

OP
K

kp297

Man... regard for translating the majority of that! I more likely than not spent half hour and just got part of the way through. :)

I ceased when he made remarks about a dead listening room being better. That unquestionably isn't the situation despite the fact that in a home performance center that he was talking about, is reasonable since the encompasses give the feeling of room.

Thanks! :)

I would encourage to keep reading, some of the best bits are after the theatre tours.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This article highlighted every single thing I hate about the audio business.

OP
K

kp297

Read the article while you can, it will be taken down soon.

Ratatoskr

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Read the article while you can, it will be taken down soon.

I'm guessing statements like:

For a human to do this on the purchasing end, ie deny that burning in headphones or speakers makes a difference to sound reproduction, is an absolute fool. Denying burn in is idiocy.

Burn in is critical.

Or

Best Buy loves cables from Monster that Best Buy can advertise 50% off, but still double their profits. So, when you see Monster pushing 80% or 90% profit, I’m thinking what the hell, they’re selling a $10 cable with 10$ dollar technology at $100? This is pure greed, and this erodes customer confidence. This is simple greed, and ripping people off. Simply disgusting practices.

and then...

So, I just got done designing a $10,000 headphone. I’m not sure whether the headphone will ever be released, but if this headphone ever reaches the market, it’s worth the price. Easily.

Had something to do with this getting taken down lol..

Top Bottom