• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interview with Daniela Manger ( Manger Audio )

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Keith. Was an interesting read. Loved this picture:

manger-system-s1_mood_2016.png.jpeg

Beautiful setup but whoever the photographer was that staged this room, didn't know that you don't put LPs on the carpet. :)

I also think they have the wrong acoustic understanding when she says this:

"The better this direct sound is, the less important the indirect sound is."

The off-axis response of the speaker is responsible for much of the sound power that reaches our ear. While it is true that we tend to tune out reflections, studies indicate that happens best when the off-axis reflections have similar timbre to direct sound.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Beautiful setup but whoever the photographer was that staged this room, didn't know that you don't put LPs on the carpet.

Don't worry, it's all fake.

http://www.cgriver.com/evermotion/8855-archinteriolor-vol-36.html

Archinteriors Vol. 36 (Evermotion 3D Model Scene Set)

archinteriolor-vol-36.jpg

Archinteriors Vol. 36
Archinteriors vol. 36 includes 10 fully textured interior scenes of modern office spaces. Every scene is ready to render with professional shaders and lighting.

All scenes are prepared only for V-ray 2.0 with 3dsmax.
All presented renders are with postproduction. PSD files are included.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-hPYDg2Yi6Yd0VlZ3hMSHI1Q1k

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The speakers are real though! The bending wave driver has a quality,perhaps because mid and treble are one, very pure, natural quality.
Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Do they go loud? There was a thing in the blurb that read like an attempt to convince people they should be played quietly...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes loud enough to make you deaf, they do have a slightly different quality compared to my other monitors ,not tonally but they have a sort of sparkly sound voices are especially lovely.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Manger haven't made the zero box design for years of course but I agree with the 'presence' part of the article.
Ray you use electrostatics don't you,I have listened to a few designs at length recently, old Quads 57's stacked 57's ,New Quads, Martin Logan's and Sanders, I just don't understand why people like them, they have this fuzzy quality ,seemingly no dynamics and poor bass or no bass, what is the appeal?
Is because the fuzziness somehow reminds them of the concert hall?
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just don't understand why people like them, they have this fuzzy quality ,seemingly no dynamics and poor bass or no bass, what is the appeal?

It could be because, here, they aren't fuzzy, have accurate dynamics at least within reasonable limits, and good bass.

At least, that's what I hear (and measure, just to be more confident of my obviously flawed subjective assessment).

Is because the fuzziness somehow reminds them of the concert hall?

What fuzz?

fas42

Major Contributor
I also think they have the wrong acoustic understanding when she says this:

"The better this direct sound is, the less important the indirect sound is."
She is exactly right. The lower the quality of the direct sound the more one needs to worry about what the echos are doing. The reason is ASA: the ear/brain has to work harder to sort out the "mess" when the direct sound has too many flaws, and when it has to deal with echos as well, then our poor heads can go into overload, Super-clean direct sound makes it trivially easy to soak up the music, and all the random echos are quite irrelevant to our hearing.

fas42

Major Contributor
It could be because, here, they aren't fuzzy, have accurate dynamics at least within reasonable limits, and good bass.

At least, that's what I hear (and measure, just to be more confident of my obviously flawed subjective assessment)

What fuzz?
Certain designs can beam treble quite strongly, one setup in a home was otherwise doing very nicely, but moving in front of it of it was like traversing a car's headlight beams, as regards the highest frequencies.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
At the recent London show I heard some Stax headphones which I believe are also electrostats, they too sounded indistinct like listening in a well, the very next pair I heard were some Sennheiser 800's which sounded much more alive and dynamic, totally unscientific comparison, different music different amps etc .
Returning to electrostatic loudspeakers, when they are coupled with a bass driver in a box that is even worse!
Keith

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
At the recent London show I heard some Stax headphones which I believe are also electrostats, they too sounded indistinct like listening in a well, the very next pair I heard were some Sennheiser 800's which sounded much more alive and dynamic, totally unscientific comparison, different music different amps etc .
Returning to electrostatic loudspeakers, when they are coupled with a bass driver in a box that is even worse!
Keith

Keith - I do not know why, but you are painting things with much too broad a brush. I am with Ray on electrostats, and I have owned several different Martin Logans for 30 years. I have not been as impressed by Quads over the years. I have also heard quite a few $$$, hi prestige, non-'stat systems over the years. I am quite happy with what I have got. Are 'stats perfection? No, of course not.

I get the impression you have not made comparisons under reasonably controlled conditions in the same system and room. You admit to that for headphones, but I suspect it is also true for speakers.

Like Ray, I do not hear the fuzz you describe at all. Nor do my visiting friends with Revel Studio IIs, Wilson Duette IIs, Magico S1s, etc. One of them is a reviewer for a major magazine who listens to a lot of speakers, and he invites me to share in the listening to them, valuing my impressions. He honestly and candidly thinks mine is one of the top tier home systems he has heard. We are too close as friends to lie to or to patronize one another.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I might be wrong but I thought this was all Very much ...,

Ray posts some objective facts about a driver ...,

Keith gets the hump and slags off Ray's speakers ....

Could be wrong, often am :D

Though we are all still waiting on objective evidence based information to back up Keith's ideas about electrostatic speakers.. :eek:

Though in Keith's defence we are in the desperate dealers area, it's all hot air, sales patter and subjective hype down here, measurments.. What measurements?? :D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To be fair it isn't just me 'slagging off' electrostatics their measurements are poor and they are poorly thought of in unsighted comparisons, a triumph of marketing perhaps?
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
To be fair it isn't just me 'slagging off' electrostatics their measurements are poor and they are poorly thought of in unsighted comparisons, a triumph of marketing perhaps?
Keith
Yea, what have electrostatic speakers got to do with the thread topic though ;)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nothing ,Ray is always keen to post that 'objective' opinion by a guy sponsored by several driver manufacturers ,perhaps if Manger had spent the cash!
I was offered the opportunity to represent an electrostatic loudspeaker so I thought I had better check a few out.
We won't be stocking electrostatics.
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You were not Thomas. Let's stay on the topic of the thread.

That said, it is human nature to get defensive when what you like gets pounded on. To some extent it is the nature of this forum to tear things up and analyze them. So it can't be helped in that regard.

Do we want to have a fight club thread on panel speakers in general?

Top Bottom