• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interview with Bruno Putzey

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
There is. I don't know if you have played with Dirac, I have recently got a Minidsp SHD with Dirac and it works with a default target curve, once you make the initial measurements it presents you with a target curve which is a "Harman" one and if you don't change anything it corrects to that target. Obviously you have the option to correct only below the transition frequency, or full range. You can change the slope, you can change any point of the target curve but still it has a default target curve embedded in the software. You can load different third party targets like Harman 4dB, Harman 6dB etc. Audissey works pretty much the same, corrects to a target curve. All of this is very subjective.View attachment 75696
Not quite. From Sean Olive.

The preferred in-room loudspeaker response is a smooth curve from 20 to 20 kHz with about a 9-10 dB downward tilted slope. We agree that a flat in-room response for a loudspeaker will sound too bright and thin. We used that as a baseline for adjustment. In the end, if the loudspeaker has a flat on-axis response you shouldn't need to adjust the treble, but the bass will probably need adjustment depending on the room, and the positioning of the loudspeaker and listener.

It's to tweak for the room and wayward speaker response not subjective preference.

Target curves are just the result of what good speakers do when measured in room.

It is also instructive to compare the classic Bruel & Kjaer curve from their 1974 AES paper measuring multiple critical listening rooms and studios. There is a 6dB decrease from 160Hz to 20kHz, about 0.9dB/octave, but the pattern is consistent.

160503_Blog_AcousticBasisHarmanTargetCurve_Photo_Img3.jpg

Both Dr. Olive's initial speaker measurements, the JBL Synthesis measurements, and the B&K curve agree that high-quality speakers measuring flat in an anechoic chamber tend to have a ~1dB/octave "room gain" curve when placed in a good-sounding room with no equalization. Also, JBL Synthesis (a Harman company) room correction does not equalize the speaker system to be flat in the room. They smooth the room frequency response to conform to a 1db/octave natural room gain target

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What distortion is euphonic?
Music alone is not enough. The entire spectrum at any given time should be copied and pitch-shifted upwards by a factor 2 (or 3, etc.), and then mixed back in to the original. Regular harmony is not as interesting as harmony with harmony on top, or harmony².

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not quite. From Sean Olive.

The preferred in-room loudspeaker response is a smooth curve from 20 to 20 kHz with about a 9-10 dB downward tilted slope. We agree that a flat in-room response for a loudspeaker will sound too bright and thin. We used that as a baseline for adjustment. In the end, if the loudspeaker has a flat on-axis response you shouldn't need to adjust the treble, but the bass will probably need adjustment depending on the room, and the positioning of the loudspeaker and listener.

It's to tweak for the room and wYward speaker response not subjective preference.

Target curves are just the result of what good speakers do when measured in room.

It is also instructive to compare the classic Bruel & Kjaer curve from their 1974 AES paper measuring multiple critical listening rooms and studios. There is a 6dB decrease from 160Hz to 20kHz, about 0.9dB/octave, but the pattern is consistent.

160503_Blog_AcousticBasisHarmanTargetCurve_Photo_Img3.jpg

Both Dr. Olive's initial speaker measurements, the JBL Synthesis measurements, and the B&K curve agree that high-quality speakers measuring flat in an anechoic chamber tend to have a ~1dB/octave "room gain" curve when placed in a good-sounding room with no equalization. Also, JBL Synthesis (a Harman company) room correction does not equalize the speaker system to be flat in the room. They smooth the room frequency response to conform to a 1db/octave natural room gain target

But the quoted paragraph is not very scientific, isn't it? Seems more ok try this and try that, eq the treble but wait a minute maybe you don't need it.
9 or 10 dB slope? (remember what we said about the 0.5 dB difference in fr between Purifi and Ncore amps at high frequencies). A baseline for adjustments? And if you need further adjustments you do them based on what?
Not trying to argue, I see your point but you will agree with me that these seem to be just general suggestions to be tuned by ear.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
But the quoted paragraph is not very scientific, isn't it? Seems more ok try this and try that, eq the treble but wait a minute maybe you don't need it.
9 or 10 dB slope? (remember what we said about the 0.5 dB difference in fr between Purifi and Ncore amps at high frequencies). A baseline for adjustments? And if you need further adjustments you do them based on what?
Not trying to argue, I see your point but you will agree with me that these seem to be just general suggestions to be tuned by ear.
Sorry I don't follow. The quote there was slightly out of context but I wanted to demonstrate the response of flat speakers in room. Adjustments, as mentioned, are to tweak for the variation in room response and speaker response.

No I don't agree.

Just because a speaker has a natural HF roll off when measured in room it doesn't mean you can't hear the difference in the source response.

With respect you are missing the point. I suggest you go and read the research, we aren't going to cover this in a few posts here. Tooles book is excellent.

Last edited:

carlob

Forum Donor
Sorry I don't follow.

With respect you are missing the point. I suggest you go and read the research. Tooles book is excellent.

That's a pity. I have read Toole's book, actually it's the third ediction and is on my desk while I'm writing this post, but still it does not change the fact that while there is general consensus on the anechoic FR that should be flat there is not the same level of assurance on how exactly the in-room FR should be.
The thread I linked to deals with that among other things: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nechoic-measurements-community-project.14929/

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's a pity. I have read Toole's book, actually it's the third ediction and is on my desk while I'm writing this post, but still it does not change the fact that while there is general consensus on the anecoic FR that should be flat there is not the same level of assurance on how exactly the in-room FR should be.
The thread I linked to deals with that among other things: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nechoic-measurements-community-project.14929/

Again you have missed the point, as mentioned several posts back the important bit is that the speaker measures flat on axis anechoichly with smooth off axis response. The in room measurement isn't the important bit. It's what the speaker emits in the first place that's important. If you have read Tooles book you will know he talks about "listening through the room". Also that whilst some things can be corrected by Eq others cannot.

The target curve is a reflection of what a good flat speaker does when measured in room. Different rooms will have slight variations in exactly how this will be, it's not an indication that it's all down to subjective taste.

Also the measurement microphone can't differentiate sound in the way the brain does. If what you measure at the listening position is say affected by a ragged off axis response, if you EQ that to a target curve you can easily mess up the on axis sound which can be OK.

Last edited:

carlob

Forum Donor
Well, that is correct but I'm talking of an entire different matter which is the in-room FR (corrected and uncorrected, it's the same) and also the predicted in-room FR. If you read Amirs reviews and compare the predicted in-room FR of perfectly anechoic flat speakers (Genelec, Neumann, Revels) you will see that is also perfect but the slope changes in a significant way. Anyways this is off topic so I will not comment more.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, that is correct but I'm talking of an entire different matter which is the in-room FR (corrected and uncorrected, it's the same) and also the predicted in-room FR. If you read Amirs reviews and compare the predicted in-room FR of perfectly anechoic flat speakers (Genelec, Neumann, Revels) you will see that is also perfect but the slope changes in a significant way. Anyways this is off topic so I will not comment more.
Yes it does due to the off axis and power response. That's why the second part of the recommendation is a smooth off axis response. Again you are not listening to the bit about a microphone doesn't hear in the same way that your brain does. This isn't about preference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom