• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know first post said if you are above the national average but just so you know:

View attachment 88938

And I pay $80/month for this. A grandfathered Alltel unlimited 3G data plan with a USB dongle now from Verizon. It's all I can get (not even satellite) and I'm lucky to have it. It's the price one pays for living in paradise but the internet and cell phones weren't even really a thing when I bought my property. Believe it or not I can actually stream Netflix and others, as long as no one else is using the network. Imagine this now with 2 kids being home schooled this year. :eek:
If it is 3G due to poor signal strength you might benefit from one of those Wilson WeBoost cell phone boosters. A bit pricey, but they can work well.
https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-472120-Signal-Booster-Carriers/dp/B081BM99M9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IWRTUTP357R9&dchild=1&keywords=wilson+cell+phone+booster&qid=1603321402&sprefix=wilson+cell,aps,178&sr=8-5

Indoors I can barely sustain a phone call and basically no 3G data. Outdoors phones calls work and data sometimes works at low speeds like yours. The booster can provide a room sized area indoors where I could get 15-25 mbps data over 4G. Essentially takes the outside signal, boosts it, and rebroadcasts it locally indoors. Also boosts the out-going signal so the cell tower can get a better signal from you.

If you are truly on a 3G only setup because it maintains your unlimited data it might not be a signal problem. Even then you must be on at least 3G HSPA or HSPA+ to get those speeds. A booster could likely triple it if the signal isn't strong. It might likely quadruple it if you have 3G HSPA+.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... I'm on Comcast internet in a medium-sized metro area in the US. My download speed is consistently 400Mbps, though the claimed max is 600Mbps, but my upload speed is limited to 18Mbps no matter what I do or when I do it. Seeing 500Mbps upload speeds in this thread looks supernatural by comparison. Not that I have any current use for uploading at 500Mbps, but it looks cool.

Edit: my ping is 8ms.

Folks with symmetrical upload/download speeds are likely on fiber optic. We cable internet subscribers are stuck with ridiculously slow upload speeds relative to our download speeds (though to the honest most of the time it doesn't matter much).

Feanor

Forum Donor
I'm not see a lot of impressive results here, folks. I'm not too bad here in London, Ontario, Canada ...

1603324077383.png

I am paying fairly big buck for this, though: Cdn$110/mo. (US$82.50/mo.)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paying U$ 100/month, for that .. At least I can watch High Def movies and listen to Tidal in CD-quality ... Improvement .. 2 years ago it topped at 3 Mb/s

1603327613393.png

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it is 3G due to poor signal strength you might benefit from one of those Wilson WeBoost cell phone boosters.

Yes, I know. I have Wilson boosters and antennas on 3 different buildings and have been dealing with it for over a decade. 4G data works fine too but my grandfathered Alltel plan is 3G only and with kids and work we easily chew up over 100GB a month. Had AT&T out here 2 weeks ago to try for a fixed wireless plan, couldn't even get a signal. I live on a trout stream in the bottom of a heavily wooded valley, hills everywhere. Someday someone will finish their low orbit satellite mesh system and I'll have real internet....

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least I can watch High Def movies and listen to Tidal in CD-quality

I'm envious. This is why I switched back to JRiver from Roon - internet not fast enough to cope with the need for that app and its constant connectivity let alone glitchy audio streaming.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you're all set for 10 Gbps internet connection! ;)

Yes, I agree with you.

The replacements of all my GB switching hubs and GB LAN ports/cards with 10GB gears, however, will need considerable budget, and it will also heat-up the air and will require some more electricity... Consequently, I am still hesitating to step-up to "all 10 Gbps" in my home LAN environment.

At present, I would like to spare my budget for new amplifiers in my multichannel multi-amplifier project.;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I know. I have Wilson boosters and antennas on 3 different buildings and have been dealing with it for over a decade. 4G data works fine too but my grandfathered Alltel plan is 3G only and with kids and work we easily chew up over 100GB a month. Had AT&T out here 2 weeks ago to try for a fixed wireless plan, couldn't even get a signal. I live on a trout stream in the bottom of a heavily wooded valley, hills everywhere. Someday someone will finish their low orbit satellite mesh system and I'll have real internet....
Anyone on any of the surrounding hills have real internet they might share with you? Wireless links of a few miles can be done without tons of money spent.

BTW, hope you are signed up with Starlink, sounds like you are in a location they'd agree to have you as an early customer.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although belated, let me ask about how widely IPv6 protocol is available now in our internet access environment. My optical internet connection, ISP, home GB router and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit are all capable of IPv6, and my internet access is IPv4 + IPv6;
WS001139.JPG

It looks, in Japan, almost all the ISPs capable of optical connection provide IPv6 service together with IPv4.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Right now, while my wife is teaching online, download speed on my (old and fairly slow) computer is 160 Mbps. Upload speed is 24 Mbps. Both our home office computers use wired connections. We pay 68 euro a month for telephone, cable tv and internet together.
We just upgraded to nominally 500 Mbs download and some 50 Mbps upload. Real speed is about 450 Mbps download and just over 40 Mbps download on my wife's fast computer. My own old one did not improve much other than slighty brisker page loads, so to benefit from the faster connection I really need to get a new computer, finally, after twelve years. The cable company now also offers a Gigabit option for a bit more money, but thus far we expect no particular benefit for our use, so we gave it a miss.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paying U$ 100/month, for that .. At least I can watch High Def movies and listen to Tidal in CD-quality ... Improvement .. 2 years ago it topped at 3 Mb/s

View attachment 88961
Woke up too early.
My TV started showing pictures that were too “clear” on Netflix. :) It was 4K!!
checked the speed and :
I got this!!!
1628233327839.jpeg

Willem

Major Contributor
With my new computer and a nominal download speed of 500 Mbps, real download speed is 445 Mbps, and upload speed is 41 Mbps. That is perfectly fine for our current needs. Fibre optics are on their way in various parts of the town, but not yet in ours.
TV here is not yet 4K, and I am not interested in Netflix, so our wonderful HD plasma screen can stay until it dies.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is until recently I had at max, 9 Mbps so ….:D

Willem

Major Contributor
Is this fiber? The biggest advantage of fiber, it seems, is that you also get high upload speeds.

Willem

Major Contributor
That is clear. We are stil waiting for fiber, but the download speed of our copper connection (about 450 Mbs) is fast enough for now and could be doubled if necessary. As yet, we do not do much uploading (at about 40 Mbs). However, with the increasing use of videoconferencing at higher resolutions this may change.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm pretty happy... this result below is from my main PC, where I'm limited by the internal 1Gbps wired network.
On my laptop I can get 1.5Gbps downstream, which is my WiFi speed.
The line itself is a 10Gbps line but I have no way to test that. I can get 2.5Gbps into the main WiFi router (AX6600), which in turn can deliver the 1.5 wireless.

speedtest.jpg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
13993248637.png

On a 400 down 20 up coax line.

Top Bottom