• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The first year was $49/month. Then when it came time to renew they rolled it over at the same price when questioned about it. So the area went from allegedly 6 mbps DSL to 1000 mbps fiber at the same price. :)
Awesome! Time marches on. Hopefully we'll get a boost in local service here soon but it's mostly upspeed I would like to get better. The servers for most websites don't let you take advantage of that awesome down capability.
I remember how excited I was when I got my first DSL line and off dial-up. LOL

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WS001052b.jpg

Of course optical connection in Chiba Pref. in Japan. Around this timing (15:45) in the afternoon, the Download speed is rather slow (or slowest), but it is still over 235 Mbps. At past midnight, around 01:00 AM, usually the Download speed is almost same as the Upload of around 350 - 450 Mbps.
Yes, I have very much comfortable up and down internet access...

I am using rather high grade internet access router having GB 8 LAN ports, and "wired" Home LAN with all Cat-6e ethernet cables distributed by GB 16 port switching hub, of course the same for internet I/O of my audio dedicated PCs. (I use 5G home wireless access point only for our smart phones.)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And that is quite the site for the towers there.

When we next take a hike up there, I'll take the camera. It's an amazing view 360 degrees. There used to be a lookout called Bilborough Lookout, but when they started putting in all the telecommunication infrastructure in the 1980s and 90s, they closed the access road and called it "private property". It isn't, it's state owned forest and as long as you stay on the easment, you can traverse the property.

A few years ago, I dug through the heavy vines and bush to find the old trig station and stone-walled lookout built in the 1950s. I remembered visiting it as a young boy back in the 70s. On the B&W painted trig station, there was marks like "Jim was here 1978" or "sara loves bill forever '81". A real blast from the past.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Web performance slowed down. I contacted my ISP. They said their service was OK but websites were suffering because they were not up to handling the 'at home' daytime Covid. demand upsurge.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
56344C95-9A18-4F38-A08A-5CA957AD00AA.jpeg
C6E1AD89-ED45-495D-831D-0F53FCBA3C88.jpeg

Bill of course goes up periodically which requires us to call to bring it down after a while. Jacking up prices after the first 12/mo should be illegal.

I saw that they offered 500/500 for only like +$10/mo more than my 100/100 (they also have “gigabit”: 940/880); but that was for new customers and internet only plans. I asked how much it would be for me, and it was something crazy like an extra +$200/mo.

To be honest though, I don’t really see the need to upgrade from 100/100, everything I download from is usually capped by the download server and not my speeds (looking at you PlayStation Network), and I don’t upload hour long 4K 60fps HDR videos to YouTube.

EDIT: I just contacted them to ask about faster speeds; they said they’ll get back to me in 72 hours...:facepalm:. Frontier bought out Verizon’s handling for my area and the customer service has gone down hill since, went from American call centers to Indian.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Right now, while my wife is teaching online, download speed on my (old and fairly slow) computer is 160 Mbps. Upload speed is 24 Mbps. Both our home office computers use wired connections. We pay 68 euro a month for telephone, cable tv and internet together.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 88530

Of course optical connection in Chiba Pref. in Japan. Around this timing (15:45) in the afternoon, the Download speed is rather slow (or slowest), but it is still over 235 Mbps. At past midnight, around 01:00 AM, usually the Download speed is almost same as the Upload of around 350 - 450 Mbps.
Yes, I have very much comfortable up and down internet access...

I am using rather high grade internet access router having GB 8 LAN ports, and "wired" Home LAN with all Cat-6e ethernet cables distributed by GB 16 port switching hub, of course the same for internet I/O of my audio dedicated PCs. (I use 5G home wireless access point only for our smart phones.)

10:25 AM, in Chiba Pref. near Tokyo....
WS001053.JPG

BenF

Forum Donor
I am using [...] and "wired" Home LAN with all Cat-6e ethernet cables distributed by GB 16 port switching hub [...]
Actually, there is no official Cat. 6e specification. You either have Cat. 6 cables with 250MHz bandwidth or Cat. 6a 500 MHz cables. Most common cables here when wiring a new building are Cat. 7 though.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I could give less than 0 shits about the speed I get compared to the customer service of these companies. Almost any current speeds outside of rural areas is completely fine for what most people are doing. We just moved back to the US and getting service was a exercise in futility. We booked self install which multiple companies said we could do despite it not being true. They will all let you book as self install and then come back later and say they need to come in your home, in this case while we were in quarantine due to return from overseas. Hours on the phone trying to get everything sorted as I was in the middle of wrapping up my assignment overseas, packing, etc.

Almost all customer service in Japan is amazing.... but somehow telecom companies are all terrible there too.

Anyway, we pay for 100 up and I guess 10 down and this is what I get over wifi in most of our smallish (1200sqft) house.

1603229025587.png

Some of the companies here have higher tiers available at my location even up to 1gig, but even as a tech nerd I'm not sure why we would even have a want for that? Sure there are some fringe cases, but for most average customers even with multiple streams this is more than adequate. Most people would probably be better served dumping more money into a high end router or mesh network to get better speeds across their McMansions.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm on cable internet (U.S.) so my upload speed is abysmal - like 6mbps! But I'm very happy with my download speed. Like most of us in the U.S., I feel I overpay for this. On the bright side, I'm paying for a 100mbps tier so the real-world speed being significantly faster (a lot of the time, anyway) is a nice little bonus.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 5.49.05 PM.png

Tks

Major Contributor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, my average ping to my ISP is 25ms.

tjkadar

My internet in rural SC is provided by the local Farmer's Telephone Cooperative (FTC). A few years ago, FTC took advantage of government grants and ran fiber optics out to the farm. We're paying $69.95 a month for 1 Gig service. Speeds were a little short on the test, but YouTube and Netflix are playing on other devices.

Makes working from home during a pandemic not just feasible, but preferred.

Screenshot - 10_20_2020 , 6_06_16 PM.jpg

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My internet in rural SC is provided by the local Farmer's Telephone Cooperative (FTC). A few years ago, FTC took advantage of government grants and ran fiber optics out to the farm. We're paying $69.95 a month for 1 Gig service. Speeds were a little short on the test, but YouTube and Netflix are playing on other devices.

Makes working from home during a pandemic not just feasible, but preferred.

View attachment 88799

Nice! Gotta love a good cooperative too (seriously; not being sarcastic).

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
08:00 AM in Chiba Pref., near Tokyo;
WS001056.JPG

08:10 AM;
WS001057.JPG

Interesting morning time.....

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, there is no official Cat. 6e specification. You either have Cat. 6 cables with 250MHz bandwidth or Cat. 6a 500 MHz cables. Most common cables here when wiring a new building are Cat. 7 though.

Hi, thanks,

Yes, you are right! My cables are Cat.6a which I wired/distributed to all of the rooms by myself several years ago. At that time, I replaced the old Cat.5 cables with Cat.6a.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know first post said if you are above the national average but just so you know:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.13.20 PM.png

And I pay $80/month for this. A grandfathered Alltel unlimited 3G data plan with a USB dongle now from Verizon. It's all I can get (not even satellite) and I'm lucky to have it. It's the price one pays for living in paradise but the internet and cell phones weren't even really a thing when I bought my property. Believe it or not I can actually stream Netflix and others, as long as no one else is using the network. Imagine this now with 2 kids being home schooled this year. :eek:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... I'm on Comcast internet in a medium-sized metro area in the US. My download speed is consistently 400Mbps, though the claimed max is 600Mbps, but my upload speed is limited to 18Mbps no matter what I do or when I do it. Seeing 500Mbps upload speeds in this thread looks supernatural by comparison. Not that I have any current use for uploading at 500Mbps, but it looks cool.

Edit: my ping is 8ms.

Top Bottom