• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet | Speed Test? | Fiber Optic | All That Jazz ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The Ethernet cable is used as an antenna. We are in Wi-Fi territory here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Two videos (boring), but the question I ask to the genius scientific engineers is would that work?
Only watched the first time. It is fiction and he says so below the video itself.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
View attachment 40252

We lucked out that the neighborhood we moved into two years ago has cox fiber. I had 50/5 megabit for years before this and love love love this fiber setup. And it's only $70 per month. I'd probably pay 3 times that for this speed. I'm not a huge gamer but when I play a little CS:GO that 2-5 ms latency is butter.

I was quickly revisiting this thread, for fun.

1 Gbps for $70/month (US) is pretty awesome. For the same price here (in Cdn $) I get ten times+ less speed (down & up). And your Ping is three times+ better.
Using Wi-Fi I'm @ half (twenty times+ less).

View attachment 40255
Time to revisit the thread since that everybody is posting here. $48/month (~RM199), TIME broadband in Malaysia. I'm the only one who is using this particular ISP in my condo building, that's why I'm getting a bit faster connection than it should be (1 Gbps connection).

Hi :)

1.2 Gbps, one of the fastest speed in this thread I believe.
Latency is also excellent.
And $48/month is the envy of Eskimos leaving not far from I.

I know that those numbers don't mean much depending of each person or group/family own use under the same roof, that's still a lot of money for Internet service providers.

* Question: In the year 2030 (one hundred years from now), I know...we'll all be dead, but for the people alive how many Gs compared to today's 5Gs?
And, we already know that all moving transportation vehicles and airplanes will be electric and good for few thousand miles per single charge; how far from quantum teleportation?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Only watched the first time. It is fiction and he says so below the video itself.

I've just read now what it says in the text below the first video. True, none of it is true, even the name ... #ThioJoke #Tech #ThioJoe ... is a hint ... #ThioJoke

So the first video is a joke (fake), but the second one?

I had no idea, that's why I genuinely asked.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I upgraded my router recently and was shocked to see my 5 ghz specs match my cat5 speeds.
Screenshot_20191226-232058.png

North_Sky

Major Contributor
You sound serious. We got it now; the kid is having fun with his videos, he hasn't kill anyone.

Blur

Forum Donor
Crazy thing is Sonic ISP literally installed fiber through my driveway, but I haven't
E7693E20-EC31-4974-A888-4C57881536BF.jpeg
upgraded to fiber yet.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surface Pro here easily covering 300/20 ISP for a couple of years already

Capture.PNG

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is a necro post. They did bring fiber optic to an area near my neighborhood. I am piggy-backing on it linking my house to one several hundred feet away using the inexpensive Ubiquiti network gear on each end. The source I'm getting this from will do 950 mbps both up and down. My wireless linking to supply my house isn't too bad. I have a local wifi router on my end and this is over wifi. Here are the results.

1603080833865.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I know this is a necro post. They did bring fiber optic to an area near my neighborhood. I am piggy-backing on it linking my house to one several hundred feet away using the inexpensive Ubiquiti network gear on each end. The source I'm getting this from will do 950 mbps both up and down. My wireless linking to supply my house isn't too bad. I have a local wifi router on my end and this is over wifi. Here are the results.

That's insane. Only ten times what I get here...
wires 2010191336.PNG

At least my ping is better. :p

We have fixed wireless, 16km to the base station and 16km back. Line of sight to the top of a mountain, right on the border between our state (Qld) and NSW.

Towers are here, zoom in and take a look: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.2348982,153.2880861,636a,35y,333h,0.5t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

If you zoom out, you'll see the towers are sitting on the edge of an ancient shield volcano's rim, with the plug (Mt Warning) in the middle. It was a vast volcano in ancient times and formed all the area around us for hundreds of kilometres. It's all rainforest and national parks up where the towers are and rich basalt soils in the massively eroded caldera floor.

Tower to our place. :
1603082213821.png

So, apart from a massive storm last night which killed the tower infrastructure (lightning strike) the service is amazing for wireless if you ask me. BTW, they had it fixed by 1130hrs this morning.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's insane. Only ten times what I get here...
View attachment 88506

At least my ping is better. :p

We have fixed wireless, 16km to the base station and 16km back. Line of sight to the top of a mountain, right on the border between our state (Qld) and NSW.

Towers are here, zoom in and take a look: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.2348982,153.2880861,636a,35y,333h,0.5t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

If you zoom out, you'll see the towers are sitting on the edge of an ancient shield volcano's rim, with the plug (Mt Warning) in the middle. It was a vast volcano in ancient times and formed all the area around us for hundreds of kilometres. It's all rainforest and national parks up where the towers are and rich basalt soils in the massively eroded caldera floor.

Tower to our place. :
View attachment 88508

So, apart from a massive storm last night which killed the tower infrastructure (lightning strike) the service is amazing for wireless if you ask me. BTW, they had it fixed by 1130hrs this morning.
I was looking into starting a small fry WISP for my area when they out of the blue started putting fiber near me. I think for the circumstances your service is very good. And that is quite the site for the towers there.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We upgraded to Gigabit Ethernet a couple of years back. Looks like they are cheating me out of half of it!

10272651403.png

Still, can't complain. :) When we first moved here we had to use old phone company lines to get 8 mbit/sec. Paid twice as much and got that up to 15 mbit/sec. Just a few years later and we now have the above. Incredible progress given the rural area we live in. Got lucky that the power company decided to bury their lines and Comcast Cable used their ditches to bury their lines.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We upgraded to Gigabit Ethernet a couple of years back. Looks like they are cheating me out of half of it!

10272651403.png

Still, can't complain. :) When we first moved here we had to use old phone company lines to get 8 mbit/sec. Paid twice as much and got that up to 15 mbit/sec. Just a few years later and we now have the above. Incredible progress given the rural area we live in. Got lucky that the power company decided to bury their lines and Comcast Cable used their ditches to bury their lines.

I know I'm not the one to "teach" you about such stuff. But is this over wifi? Lots of wifi will struggle to get much past 450 mbps. No matter what they promise. My source up the road a piece you can get 950 mbps when you plug the router ethernet into a laptop or desktop. Over wifi I can get 450 or so download and 470 upload speeds. But I don't have a spanking new device with the very fastest wifi. I do have one desktop with a recent 5 ghz wifi card that if I shut down all the other 5 ghz devices in the house will do 550ish both ways. If other devices are on they slow each other down to 400 or so again.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My download is pretty good but up sucks

Screenshot at 2020-10-19 01-25-34.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know I'm not the one to "teach" you about such stuff. But is this over wifi? Lots of wifi will struggle to get much past 450 mbps. No matter what they promise. My source up the road a piece you can get 950 mbps when you plug the router ethernet into a laptop or desktop. Over wifi I can get 450 or so download and 470 upload speeds. But I don't have a spanking new device with the very fastest wifi. I do have one desktop with a recent 5 ghz wifi card that if I shut down all the other 5 ghz devices in the house will do 550ish both ways. If other devices are on they slow each other down to 400 or so again.
That was wired ethernet.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That was wired ethernet.
When my friend up the road initially was given his service I watched the installation. The fellow who made the final fiber optic connection seemed haphazard right where it went into the house. He was getting about 400. My friend called and asked they come check. Yep it was that one connection. They lopped off the end and made new connections right at the last meter of fiber optic and it jumped to 950 both ways. Devil is in the details. It did take some convincing the tech who came out to fix it. He was patient and eventually believed we should get more and redid that connection. All was well then.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When my friend up the road initially was given his service I watched the installation. The fellow who made the final fiber optic connection seemed haphazard right where it went into the house. He was getting about 400. My friend called and asked they come check. Yep it was that one connection. They lopped off the end and made new connections right at the last meter of fiber optic and it jumped to 950 both ways. Devil is in the details. It did take some convincing the tech who came out to fix it. He was patient and eventually believed we should get more and redid that connection. All was well then.
Can you tell me what the monthly cost is on that?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you tell me what the monthly cost is on that?
The first year was $49/month. Then when it came time to renew they rolled it over at the same price when questioned about it. So the area went from allegedly 6 mbps DSL to 1000 mbps fiber at the same price. :)

Top Bottom