• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Internet Direct Brands (ID): Ascend Acoustics, Chane, Philharmonic Audio, Wavecrest Audio, SVS

D700

I owned one of the early SVS water softener sized tube subs in a large basement HT I built years back. Sold the house. Superb output, clean and effortless bass, I still miss that sub. Learned all about SPL and EQ...when I first set it up, was rattling medicine cabinet 2 stories up. Our poor cat got PTSD that day (Post Traumatic Sub Disorder)..sorry was a family joke. We made it up to her in wet food.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In looking at the Ascend, Chane, Philharmonic, Wavecrest and SVS websites, it appears that only SVS has truly free returns. That is, they pay shipping both ways. The return periods vary from 14 days (Philharmonic) to 45 days (SVS) with the rest being 30 days.

Shipping on something as heavy as set of speakers can be substantial. So auditions are cheaper and faster through a local retailer who has a standard return policy. Am I mistaken on this?

I am confused by the value proposition of direct speakers today. A few decades ago when speakers were mostly manufactured in the U.S. there seemed to me to be real value in cutting out the 50-100% retailer's speaker markup.

However, today nearly all large mid-fi speaker brands are manufactured in China. Many direct to retail speakers also have substantial amounts of Asian content, but many are assembled here. In addition to volume discounts, large manufacturers also have much lower domestic shipping costs.

This does not mean you cannot get quality speakers direct...I am less sure we can assume that you are getting a deal relative to build quality/cost compared to the traditionally retailed brands.

If they cover shipping both ways, that’s already baked into the price, thus inflating it (maybe with even a markup). So yeah, good for the people that do returns, but sucks for those that buy them; but I’ve never heard a negative comment about subs from Rythmik or HSU for instance, and rarely any negatives for speakers from Philharmonic or Salk.

Local retailers take about half, so that’s again a factor (not to say a $2000 KEF or Revel sounds equal to a $1000 Ascend/Philharmonic/Salk).

This is why online reviews and measurements are incredibly helpful.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My main rig is Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2s, paired with the new Martin Logan Dynamo 800x sub (with built in DSP) powered by a Cambridge Audio CXA60. The Ascends are just what I have been looking for, gorgeously built of solid bamboo standmounts. The RAAL ribbon tweeter is open and airy without any hint of sibilance or harshness. Imaging is superb. Just a fantastic speaker all around. More impressed everytime I listen, highly recommended.

I bought them actually through Massdrop to save a couple hundred. Packaging was impressive, and each speaker comes with a signed and dated frequency response graph from the final testing. Nice!

With so many speaker choices, I liked the idea of a "boutique" speaker brand, designed and made by a company that is passionate about audio - I like having something different than most. The owner is a great guy who participates in his own forums and gives straight up personalized recommendations. He also gives respect to his competition, doesn't trash talk other companies that also make quality products.

I researched for over a year before pulling the trigger, wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:

ChrisH

I own a pair of Tempestas from Selah Audio out of North Carolina. They are similar to Salk and Philharmonic. Wonderful speakers and great customer service. Very nice pricing too, especially if you like to build a kit. Rick at Selah is great to work with.

OP
R

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This does not mean you cannot get quality speakers direct...I am less sure we can assume that you are getting a deal relative to build quality/cost compared to the traditionally retailed brands.

I would say this part still holds without question.

You forget that you are also paying for marketing and distribution with a traditionally retailed brand.

It seems you are correct, regarding shipping. So yes, I stand corrected, you would have to pay a bit to audition speakers. That does make the value proposition slightly worse, so I will let you personally factor in cost of audition into your purchase decision. I'd say it makes sense to audition the high-end speakers, maybe not so much the mid-end ones.

Top Bottom