• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intermittent fasting

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As is any diet.
When I was in my 40-50s, still working, I was a gym-rat and worked out most every day, I could eat any darn thing I wanted. I burned so many calories I had to watch not to lose too much weight. As I grew older and more sedate the opposite became true. At one point I had gained 50lbs from not adjusting my intake. I had to cut out drinking 2-4 bottles of soda a day and replaced with mostly unsweetened tea and coffee. I reduced the size of my meals and restrict myself to one meal a day in the evening.. In the last 4 months I've lost 15lbs and continue to lose. I still enjoy a diet high in red meat and pasta, my favorite foods, just not so much at each sitting.
Works for me.
Chasing tail is good for the waistline, just gotta make sure you don't lose your shirt .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Chasing tail is good for the waistline, just gotta make sure you don't lose your shirt .
Not at my age, they don't run too fast with walkers. LOL

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Iv swapped beer for gin and vodka , nothing during the week.

Whatever you do it's got to fit in with your life and not make you miserable.

I think the moral of the story is having control of your eating habits and some kind of method is a good thing. If thats intermittent fasting so be it, I certainly have always slept better if I stop my calorie intake around 17:00 .

Also trying to stay away from wheat corn brown rice and starchy carbs in general has helpped me. Getting my sugar intake down has also helped me, I put a bit of xylitol in things if I want a bit of sweetness.

I've tried no carbs or really restrictive carbs and found I got no energy and I need energy as I work manual labour every day.

The biggest dietary benefit is getting off sugar addiction in my opinion.

I agree with all of that except for avoiding brown rice. If you need carbs, brown rice is probably one of the best sources since it's not just carbs, it's also fiber, protein, and other minerals. Although black/purple rice may be a even better choice as it's all the extra nutrients of brown rice, while being lower in carbs.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I agree with all of that except for avoiding brown rice. If you need carbs, brown rice is probably one of the best sources since it's not just carbs, it's also fiber, protein, and other minerals. Although black/purple rice may be a even better choice as it's all the extra nutrients of brown rice, while being lower in carbs.
Apparently the husk around the brown rice grain is not so good for you. White rice is actually slightly better I'm lead to believe.

I'm sure a bit of brown rice won't kill anyone though. Unless you reheat it wrong of course ha ha .

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anybody else doing it?

I did, sort of unintentionally, even though wasn't overweight. I gave up food after dinner (6 PM) for Lent 2 years ago and eat breakfast/lunch as one meal ~ noon, due to work. Lost 10 lbs in 40 days without otherwise sacrificing, and kept if off. Liked the results so still rarely snack and lost another 7 lbs by sticking to it. Feel great, more energy, better mobility in sports and have a happy tummy!

Works for me!

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently the husk around the brown rice grain is not so good for you. White rice is actually slightly better I'm lead to believe.

I'm sure a bit of brown rice won't kill anyone though. Unless you reheat it wrong of course ha ha .

As long as you don't eat lots of rice all the time, your body can deal with the trace amounts of arsenic in brown rice.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Moderation in everything is still the best path.
All these fad diets that get radical on one detail or another may work but at the same time have a negative dietary aspect of their own. Control you caloric intake to a level where you lose a weight at a slow and easy pase and you'll be fine.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That seems to be exactly what IF is, a slow loss that's sustainable. I've heard about IF for at least a couple years, but I didn't go for it until I saw some research.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I eat barley everyday... Great dieting food and is great for you too!

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly oatmeal runs through me like a freight train, leaving a trail of destruction.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Whatever floats your stools is probably beneficial.
whistle.gif

Wombat

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not at my age, they don't run too fast with walkers. LOL

A mate of mine who is, financially blessed, recently became a widower, He is selling up and buying a unit in a retirement complex. He has been warned that the majority of residents are widows and many are financial predators.

Old saw: Men value loyalty, women value security. o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A mate of mine who is, financially blessed, recently became a widower, He is selling up and buying a unit in a retirement complex. He has been warned that the majority of residents are widows and many are financial predators.

Old saw: Men value loyalty, women value security. o_O
This is true but a smart guy plays the game. I use the Old Saw of "the way to a mans heart is thru his stomach", women believe this. So you find one that's a good cook and live it up as long as you can. When she realizes your not the marrying kind you move on to the next one. There are plenty of them in these communities, just don't get too fat. :p

Top Bottom