• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intermittent fasting

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been intermittent fasting for two weeks now. Lost maybe three or four real pounds, not water weight. My stomach feels way better. I did cheat and overeat late a day in the middle, and my stomach punished me for it. I eat first around noon then snack if I want and start eating my last meal around 530pm. I fit all eating into 6 to 8 hours, usually 6. Certainly pigging out isn't going to help me, but I definitely get to eat until full. I think the fasting time let's my stomach shrink a little each day, so then I don't need to eat as much to feel full. Never sleeping on a full stomach makes my system happier. There's some speculation that it resets your metabolism, but I haven't seen that yet. After dropping a lot of weight by simply barely eating for months, my metabolism ground to a hault. Here's hoping.

Most importantly, I think I can live this way. Because my stomach is happier, why go back to feeling miserable so often? Funk dat. Also I can basically eat what I want to. Over these two weeks, I have had ice cream, fried tacos, pizza, Vietnamese food, and such. Lots of greens, of course. I haven't been denying myself, except by the rules of when I can eat.

Also there is at least some science that says the diet works. It's really not so much a diet as it is a schedule.

Anybody else doing it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been doing something similar in not eating after about 5pm but I fall off the wagon sometimes. I too sleep wayyy better without a full stomach. Some months ago I've changed to no ice cream, no fatty foods, no candy, no more chocolate, no more cheese except parmesan(sigh I like cheese) and voila my cholesterol dropped drastically and now I won't need a prescription from the doctor and the goal is to slowly lose weight over the next 3 years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I eat first around noon then snack if I want and start eating my last meal around 530pm.
I've been doing something similar in not eating after about 5pm but I fall off the wagon sometimes.
What is the bedtime you base 5:00 on? What if you usually didn't go to bed till 2 - 4 am?
I'm more a believer in total calories a day, not what time you eat them.
You car don't care what time you drive it, it gets the same mph at 5pm as 9 pm?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I fast between every meal.

Does that count?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Been intermittent fasting for two weeks now. Lost maybe three or four real pounds, not water weight. My stomach feels way better. I did cheat and overeat late a day in the middle, and my stomach punished me for it. I eat first around noon then snack if I want and start eating my last meal around 530pm. I fit all eating into 6 to 8 hours, usually 6. Certainly pigging out isn't going to help me, but I definitely get to eat until full. I think the fasting time let's my stomach shrink a little each day, so then I don't need to eat as much to feel full. Never sleeping on a full stomach makes my system happier. There's some speculation that it resets your metabolism, but I haven't seen that yet. After dropping a lot of weight by simply barely eating for months, my metabolism ground to a hault. Here's hoping.

Most importantly, I think I can live this way. Because my stomach is happier, why go back to feeling miserable so often? Funk dat. Also I can basically eat what I want to. Over these two weeks, I have had ice cream, fried tacos, pizza, Vietnamese food, and such. Lots of greens, of course. I haven't been denying myself, except by the rules of when I can eat.

Also there is at least some science that says the diet works. It's really not so much a diet as it is a schedule.

Anybody else doing it?

If you can cope with the discipline involved, why not try it.

In the end it is calories-in that matter. How individuals process and store(or not) calories-in is a much bigger topic.

KozmoNaut

Giles Yeo has some good presentations and talks of the matters of calories and metabolism:

I have hereditary high cholesterol, so I have a vested interest in healthier eating and exercise. My grandpa died from a heart attack in his mid-40s, my dad had a very similar heart attack also in his mid-40s. Luckily medical science had advanced greatly in the meantime, so he's still alive. He had a stent put in ~16 years ago, and has been on medication and a healthier diet since. He's currently awaiting a triple bypass, after which he'll retire and enjoy life without the stresses of work.

Both were smokers (pipe, not cigarettes) and ate old-fashioned food high in red meat and saturated fat. My dad quit smoking when he had his heart attack, and generally eats healthier now. I've never smoked, but I do sometimes fall into the trap of unhealthy eating patterns.

I don't buy into any of the new-fangled fad diets, and I'm not convinced of any genuine benefits of fasting that do not simply stem from eating fewer calories in general.

I also know that I need something relatively straight-forward, with a low adherence effort. So I'm doing the No 'S' Diet, though I would call it a lifestyle change rather than a diet. No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except (sometimes) on days that start with an S. For myself, I also try to restrict my intake of saturated fat, for my heart health.

I'm rambling, but it's something that's very close to my heart, literally.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except (sometimes) on days that start with an S.

For better results, try it instead on days that end with an S.

Mondays, Tuesdays, and so on.

digititus

I started Keto diet 2 years ago. Went from 100kg to 75kg in 9 months! I still maintain a semi keto diet (low carb / high fat) but I do allow some more carbs like dried fruits and nuts, but no bread, rice, pasta or foods containing processed sugars. I started IF as a way of maintaining my BMI and so far I have managed to stay around my goal weight. I do 16/8.

My health, both physical and mental has improved tremendously, especially inflammatory problems (joint and back pains) and I can honestly say I would never go back to eating a diet based on the "food pyramid."

Wombat

Master Contributor
I was once on the Pritikin diet. Wife's idea. We lost weight, felt great but looked gaunt and ill. Wife decided it was not good during pregnancy and we never resumed it, thank goodness.

digititus

I was once on the Pritikin diet. Wife's idea. We lost weight, felt great but looked gaunt and ill. Wife decided it was not good during pregnancy and we never resumed it, thank goodness.
When I look at old photos of myself, I look swollen. Now I look "normal." The key is not to diet, it is to change to an eating style that works for you and that you can maintain. TBH I had never been on a diet in my life, but I decided to change what I ate and the way I ate and for me it worked.

IF helps this as it controls (better) insulin spikes and the feeback mechanism of when you feel you need to eat.

KozmoNaut

For better results, try it instead on days that end with an S.

Mondays, Tuesdays, and so on.

That's what I did before, it was very effective in getting me over 125kg (almost 40 BMI). Not something I'd recommend.

I count beer as a snack as well, so no weeknight brewskis. The occasional dram of high-quality liquor does sneak in.

VeerK

Calories in Calories out is not all that matters, otherwise you could eat 2Kcal of McDonalds and call it a day. IF has real scientific research backing its benefits, and when combined with measured macros and a balanced diet, IF is a very powerful lifestyle shift.

Personally, I aim for a minimum of 18-6, but usually end up 20-4 because my work leaks over. I generally hit the gym before I eat too, I have found it to be helpful to keep a low body fat percentage. No Keto for me because I need the carbs for muscle recovery, but I do tend to keep under 60g carbs a day. All of this combined means my lean muscle is at an all time high, I carry less water weight, and for the first time in my life, I am under 12% BF. My energy levels don’t sag during that afternoon lull, my bloodwork and BP are excellent, and overall I just feel content. Diets, especially restrictive ones, tend to wear down your mental health, but lifestyle changes are necessary if you want a high quality of life. In my opinion, IF is one of the easiest lifestyle changes you can make for your health

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the bedtime you base 5:00 on? What if you usually didn't go to bed till 2 - 4 am?
I'm more a believer in total calories a day, not what time you eat them.
You car don't care what time you drive it, it gets the same mph at 5pm as 9 pm?
I typically sleep around 1am and wake around 8 or 9. Even if I go to bed at 3am, eating late makes me miserable. I've tried staying up and it does not help.

Total calories works, but it's hard sustain, especially as your metabolism slows down.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can cope with the discipline involved, why not try it.

In the end it is calories-in that matter. How individuals process and store(or not) calories-in is a much bigger topic.
The intermittent fasting at least helps me limit calories in. Might have other effects like I said.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I peaked at 230 lbs. I got down to 190. Rose back slowly to 210. Now I'm slowly going down in this sustainable way. I have a large bone structure, so 175 to 185 is a good goal. At 165, in college, I was gaunt.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've read the arguments for fasting, and I just can't get behind it. Your weight loss results for example are very typical of 1000 calorie/day deficit diets for example. But without putting muscles into a catabolic state, without drops in testosterone/sex drive, and less likely to induce mood swings.

I guess it might still be an option for people with sedentary lifestyles. But I work manual labor at times, and I weight train regularly. I feel significant reductions in physical abilities from skipping just one meal. Heck I feel significant reduced physical abilities just from eating off schedule.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That's what I did before, it was very effective in getting me over 125kg (almost 40 BMI). Not something I'd recommend.

I count beer as a snack as well, so no weeknight brewskis. The occasional dram of high-quality liquor does sneak in.
Iv swapped beer for gin and vodka , nothing during the week.

Whatever you do it's got to fit in with your life and not make you miserable.

I think the moral of the story is having control of your eating habits and some kind of method is a good thing. If thats intermittent fasting so be it, I certainly have always slept better if I stop my calorie intake around 17:00 .

Also trying to stay away from wheat corn brown rice and starchy carbs in general has helpped me. Getting my sugar intake down has also helped me, I put a bit of xylitol in things if I want a bit of sweetness.

I've tried no carbs or really restrictive carbs and found I got no energy and I need energy as I work manual labour every day.

The biggest dietary benefit is getting off sugar addiction in my opinion.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Anybody else doing it?

Yup, love it. Your metabolism naturally winds down with age so it seemed very natural. I never was into breakfast since I was 18 or so now lunch is a small snack, salad with maybe a little feta. The only meal is a very late lunch/early dinner with no particular restrictions.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Total calories works, but it's hard sustain, especially as your metabolism slows down.
As is any diet.
When I was in my 40-50s, still working, I was a gym-rat and worked out most every day, I could eat any darn thing I wanted. I burned so many calories I had to watch not to lose too much weight. As I grew older and more sedate the opposite became true. At one point I had gained 50lbs from not adjusting my intake. I had to cut out drinking 2-4 bottles of soda a day and replaced with mostly unsweetened tea and coffee. I reduced the size of my meals and restrict myself to one meal a day in the evening.. In the last 4 months I've lost 15lbs and continue to lose. I still enjoy a diet high in red meat and pasta, my favorite foods, just not so much at each sitting.
Works for me.

Top Bottom