• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intermittent fasting

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I'm doing IMF 2x/week. One thing I notice is increased mental clarity on fasting days. I have read that's an evolutionary thing. In any event I feel better.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
This is true but a smart guy plays the game. I use the Old Saw of "the way to a mans heart is thru his stomach", women believe this. So you find one that's a good cook and live it up as long as you can. When she realizes your not the marrying kind you move on to the next one. There are plenty of them in these communities, just don't get too fat. :p

I worked with a guy who went to Parents Without Partners meetings(mostly single mothers). He accepted invitations to dinner, always with dessert in mind.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Started around Dec 26th. Just hit 202.5lbs with jammies on. I was between 208 and 210 when I started. Sometimes I wanna break the rules, and when I do, my stomach reminds me how much happier it is without late or huge meals. Clothes fit nicer, of course. I think this is a good lifestyle change. If I hit 180lbs, I might buy myself something nice. Like a Taycan.

murraycamp

Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ha ha , was it a crowded and competitive dinner table when you were growing up?
Get you hand too close to someone else's plate and you might draw back a stump. o_O

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I eat quickly. Faster than most. Sometimes I think I could go competitive.

EB1000

I'm on a very strict and torturing diet - vegan keto, which means I'm not allowed to eat most types of foods or snacks (no carbs, no animals). I mostly eat vegetables, avocados, nuts, and almonds. I water fast for 24 hours once a week. I drink MCT and olive oil every day just to avoid losing weight. I also take 20 different supplements a day... I've been on this crazy diet for almost 5 years now... Ever since my GP told me that I'm probably becoming pre-diabetic after my fasting blood sugar reached 102... Now I'm back to 87... So basically, I've traded diabetes for being miserable for the rest of my life... :)

Blur

Forum Donor
In all honesty there have been studies done that link positive immune response to intermittent fasting.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm on a very strict and torturing diet - vegan keto, which means I'm not allowed to eat most types of foods or snacks (no carbs, no animals). I mostly eat vegetables, avocados, nuts, and almonds. I water fast for 24 hours once a week. I drink MCT and olive oil every day just to avoid losing weight. I also take 20 different supplements a day... I've been on this crazy diet for almost 5 years now... Ever since my GP told me that I'm probably becoming pre-diabetic after my fasting blood sugar reached 102... Now I'm back to 87... So basically, I've traded diabetes for being miserable for the rest of my life... :)

That's pretty crazy. What happens to your blood sugar if you moderate it with some eggs, cheese, and like a slice of bread a day?

sonci

I was once on the Pritikin diet. Wife's idea. We lost weight, felt great but looked gaunt and ill. Wife decided it was not good during pregnancy and we never resumed it, thank goodness.
The same with me , more than intermittent fasting I also tried a full fast for 1 or 2 days a month, I feel great the problem is that I look like on old man, so decided to regain some puonds.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't see the point of intermittent fasting since you're just withering away for a whole day or however long you do it. Better off trying to eat the right amount of food every day to maintain correct body weight, exercise for healthy body composition. And then you don't have to do any of this.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the point of intermittent fasting since you're just withering away for a whole day or however long you do it. Better off trying to eat the right amount of food every day to maintain correct body weight, exercise for healthy body composition. And then you don't have to do any of this.
I skip breakfast everyday now as a mini morning fast and load up of coffee instead >@^_*@< and no more late night snacks before bedtime. So it's just lunch and dinner and that works for me.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I've been focusing on being healthier only recently. But you have to ask yourself what is being healthier? Ok I know there are health benefits of not eating sometimes. There's studies that correlate the benefits. For me, I want to lower my body fat %, have more muscle mass, be stronger, have a healthier looking physique. I've always been soft in the middle, lots of fat in my stomach and thighs. Skinny fat' I think the term is.

From my research it seems like intermittent fasting is actually the worst way to achieve my goals, which I stated above. I would wind up losing weight but I'd also lose muscle mass, I have very little to begin with as it is due many natural factors and from lack of exercise for most of my life. I guess each persons definition of what it means to have a 'healthy lifestyle' is different.

I do try to avoid red meat as much as I can but it does taste awfully good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe.. I spend about 35% of my monthly food budget on red meat.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I spend about 40% of my food budget on poultry, specifically fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts. I actually find equivalent weight of chicken to feel much more dense and satiating, even if it is less calories then beef. It's also far cheaper. Ground beef is nice, sometimes I just cook up half a package of ground beef and season it with some salt and better and eat the cooked patties like a bunless burger. It's great but compared to chicken it's got a ton of calories from the fat, not the protein. Which I think is why I feel more full from chicken.

Wish I could afford tbone steaks every day.

Top Bottom