• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interface upgrade: More money on interface or speakers? M4+Gen8330+SAM vs RME+Gen8030

Juju

Hope it's okay to make a new thread...
New here and need some general guidance to upgrade my room.
I play bass guitar only and need accurate low mids/bass.
I only need an interface to reamp from time to time, no internal plugins necessary. Audio interface upgrade would only be for better speakers/headphones outputs, not for extra recording options.
For now i'm using Mackie MC-450 as headphones (which i find an improvement to my previous DT770)
I'm planning to add some bass trap and buy a Umik/XLR measurement mic, before buying speakers.
Most likely i will need a sub.

To enjoy listening to my favorite albums, translating bass guitar, and recording bass guitar at home (with correct gear DI/preamps), in your opinion, would you rather put more money on speakers or audio interface?

As an example:
- Buy descent interface M4/Scarlett/ID14 + Gen8040 or equivalent
- Buy M4/Scarlett/ID14 + Gen8330+SAM+Sub
or
- Or Buy very good interface RME UCX2 + Gen 8030(or KH120).
- Other alternatives that im not familiar with (peamps for heaphones, better outputs for speakers ect...)?

Attachments

• 20220130_191351.jpg
    20220130_191351.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 113

Trell

Major Contributor
With Genelec 8330 and SAM subwoofer you should buy the GLM Set as well for its room EQ and subwoofer integration with the monitors. I would choose that over the other options. The RME ADI-2 DAC is very nice and I like its DSP but not over GLM.

I’ve 8330 with a 7360 subwoofer along with a RME DAC-2 FS for me, and my wife got a pair 8330 along with an interface audio interface. We’re both happy with that.

Last edited:

Habu

Hi Juju

Motu M4
Neumann KH 120 + KH 750 + MA1 or Genelec 8330A + 7350A + GLM 2.0 Kit

Depending on local price, second hand choice,.. (Neumann or Genelec kits price is quite the same)

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you need accurate upper bass and mids, and when it's for home practice and bass playing only, I'd sooner invest in a proper headphone setup. You avoid all the room acoustics & treatments, don't have to fuss about with DSP and you'll still hear every note you're playing. More accurately, actually, since the room isn't messing with the speaker's output when your room EQ isn't up to snuff (which it almost never is.) Room modes can really ruin a bass guitar sound. Looking at the photo you posted, your room seems anything but ideal for bass frequencies.

Something like a Sennheiser HD800, EQ'ed to suit your demands, sounds like all you'd need. You could also check out the Hive Nectar, but that one will need a dedicated electrostatic amp: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/hive-nectar-electrostatic-headphone.29447/

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
As others have alluded to, you won't get accurate low mids/bass with speakers in a room without room correction equalization. A subwoofer is also very helpful when trying to get an accurate response in the bass region. Habu's suggested setups would be very good for these reasons.
Neumann KH 120 + KH 750 + MA1 or Genelec 8330A + 7350A + GLM 2.0 Kit

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
In my case, I first bought a Motu M4, but then had a few problems with it (ground loop etc.). After I messed around for some time, I was fed up at some point and bought an RME ("He who buys cheap, buys twice").
So I would say that if it's just about sound quality, it doesn't really matter, but I would put a high value on practical utility and reliability. So think carefully about whether it's worth saving the $$ for you. But the same is true for speakers. So saving money there then makes even less sense.

FeddyLost

For bass guitar you need at least decent FR and decay (!) in room from 37 Hz and up.
Usually it's something between "expensive and troublesome" and "plain impossible".
If you use subwoofer, low GD and distortion also will be needed, so most probably for best results you will need sealed sub and some iterations of measuring, relocating, acoustic treatment and DRC.
Considering that issue, I'd buy some "bass correct" headphones with low distortion and calculate your resources to understand what integral level you can allow with room treatment and digital correction.
Personally I see no reason in any high-end converter when you have huge bass issues in rehearsal room and can't evaluate if you are doing all correct or not.

OP
Juju

Juju

In my case, I first bought a Motu M4, but then had a few problems with it (ground loop etc.). After I messed around for some time, I was fed up at some point and bought an RME ("He who buys cheap, buys twice").
So I would say that if it's just about sound quality, it doesn't really matter, but I would put a high value on practical utility and reliability. So think carefully about whether it's worth saving the $$ for you. But the same is true for speakers. So saving money there then makes even less sense.
I had some issues more than 10 years ago with a Firewire Presonus. Driver not updated, I remember I bought a specific card with a specific Texas chipset, to be able to continue to run it. One day it exploded with a smoke on my desk. I know with RME on PC i will be at peace :)

OP
Juju

Juju

Thank you all, also for the advises on the Neumann and Gen sets.
I understand it would be very difficult to get my room (or any other room in my house) to sound correctly.
I will also reconsider speakers>headphones and spend some time in the headphones forum. I never auditioned high end cans.
However, with speakers, i would get the "soundstage", with headphones all instruments feel like they're inside my head, not 3D.
Big improvements was month ago when I discovered open back (i had DT770 close back for many many years).
I saw Genelec is working on the Aural ID, very curious where this is going.

FeddyLost

I never auditioned high end cans.
And I'd not recommed it unless you want to invest into some Dan Clark HPs and amplification for them.
For your duties you need "just-not-extremely-lying" HPs with low distortion below 100 Hz.
Check out Senn 560s mentioned here - they are not very expensive and will be good addition for your MC-450 according to FRs in reviews.

Top Bottom