• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting YouTube channels that you watch and follow.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to keep it light and wholesome so I watch the Outdoor Boys, Lonewolf 902 and Matthew Posa on YouTube. I've viewed pretty much all of the videos except for Outdoor Boys of which I started viewing them a month ago. What do you watch and follow?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I greatly enjoy Food Wishes, Chinese Cooking Demystified, Kathy Loves Physics & History, and Jill Venton (geek alert, I love electrochemistry). It's a great place to find old stuff like Amos 'N Andy and Ernie Kovacs as well. Steve Lehto is often amusing and enlightening.

Sabine is super popular, but I find her tiresome, especially when she pontificates outside of particle physics.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I detest YouTube.
How on earth can you detest YouTube?, you watch what you choose to watch.

I watch the following channels (amongst 90 others)

Most of my YouTube viewing is a mix of mtb downhill racing, cars/racing/building/engineering, moto-x racing/bike racing, science/engineering stuff, watch more YouTube (I pay for premium, hate adverts) than anything else.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow... Some really intriguing links here. I bookmarked some and will be viewing them. Thanks for the links peeps.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

dc655321

Major Contributor
I like to keep it light and wholesome so I watch the Outdoor Boys, Lonewolf 902 and Matthew Posa on YouTube. I've viewed pretty much all of the videos except for Outdoor Boys of which I started viewing them a month ago. What do you watch and follow?

As a fellow Canuck, this may be interesting to you: a bushcraft topic with good cinematography and an interesting character. Start with his earlier stuff.

I greatly enjoy Food Wishes

Me too. Chef John rocks!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I don’t subscribe to anything, but the stuff I like keeps getting recommended. Off the top of my head, cooking videos (Chef Jean-Pierre, Food Wishes, Jacques Pépin, many others), all sorts of sci/tech (Vsauce, Veritassium, Steve Mould, Hossi, many others), some wood turning (Olivier Gomis, Andy Phillip), lots of DIY, political satire.

Ogoript

Forum Donor
Long time lurker and this is my first post and it isn't even about audio.... Rick Beato, David Hoffman, Primitive Technology (guy is talented), AMMO NYC (car detailing, the guy is meticulous), Sam Holmes Sailing (I don't sail, but really appreciate what the guy does).

My tastes change all the time. Like I said, I don't "particularly" like sailing or car detailing, but I really appreciate when people are at the top of their game and are real craftsman. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I'll find some gems in this thread.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t watch YouTube without filtering for ads, intros, fillers or outro’s.
These sections are auto-skipped by Sponsorblock.

Available for all platforms.
Recently I invested in a monthly YouTube Premium subscription. Doesn't that stop all ads? It seems to. :D

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Recently I invested in a monthly YouTube Premium subscription. Doesn't that stop all ads? It seems to. :D
By ads I mean sponsored ads that are inserted by the content creator, which are usually part of the video.

Video ads (usually from a 3rd party) that you see before the main video starts playing is a different problem, which is usually blocked by any typical 'adblocker' or 'youtube premium'.

SponsorBlock blocks (meaning auto-skipps the time segment) of all non-essential content from within the main video.

For example, this LinusTechTips video is 20min and 43sec long.
But if you enable SponsorBlock, it cuts it down to 15min and 11 sec in length or abour 25% shorter.
Basically, you're cutting out all the non-essential parts, saving you a ton of time.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By ads I mean sponsored ads that are inserted by the content creator, which are usually part of the video.

Video ads (usually from a 3rd party) that you see before the main video starts playing is a different problem, which is usually blocked by any typical 'adblocker' or 'youtube premium'.

SponsorBlock blocks (meaning auto-skipps the time segment) of all non-essential content from within the main video.

For example, this LinusTechTips video is 20min and 43sec long.
But if you enable SponsorBlock, it cuts it down to 15min and 11 sec in length or abour 25% shorter.
Basically, you're cutting out all the non-essential parts, saving you a ton of time.
Interesting. There would have to be some sort of marker in the video for it to detect the start and end of ads? I like most of the ads I see in the videos that I watch but the ads between videos and pop ups are purely annoying. Hence the Premium account and the video contributors get their share too as compared to AdBlock+ etc.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
There would have to be some sort of marker in the video for it to detect the start and end of ads?
Yep. It's an open-source community (meaning anyone with enough skill) that contributes to categorize each section of each video.

Then, depending on how much you want to skip, you can customize each section to 'auto-skip" in your preferences.
Here's google chrome extension options that you can customize:
1683603509259.png

Here's that video with auto-skipped sections, as seen by different colors on the time-bar.
1683603681524.png

All those colors on the taskbar indicate a section that will be skipped when the video gets to that part.

Top Bottom