• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting response to my thread on Steve Hoffman forums

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Steve Hoffman got a Bachelor of Arts degree in Radio-TV-Film in 1977, not anything about hardware design and then he became a mastering engineer: :rolleyes:
The only interesting music guru I consider is John Peel. And he's not among us anymore.

He broadcast the best the UK had in Metal: Benediction, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

oldsysop

The only interesting music guru I consider is John Peel. And he's not among us anymore.

He broadcast the best the UK had in Metal: Benediction, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass...
I think that his musical tastes are now clear to all of us.
It is not necessary to repeat it all the time.

izeek

great read. thanks. confirmed what i thought i knew.
you mean these wont make the sound better? lol.
i just bought them for thr bling

Attachments

• Fotor_162223516260173.jpg
    Fotor_162223516260173.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 69

Putter

Forum Donor
I use the Hoffman site primarily for recording quality, i.e. how compressed a particular mastering of a recordings, what was the source of that master, who mastered the recording, etc. It CAN be useful in that way.

On the negative side it's a completely subjective site where the best mastering is always hideously expensive but is always the only worthwhile according to the person(s) who own it. Vinyl is the only way to listen to a recording particularly using vacuum tube amps. Mr. Hoffman is a big believer in vacuum tube which I can forgive because mastering is really part of the recording process, i.e. they are really musicians in a way.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL while SHF is sometimes okay, seems too much idiocy there to bother with. Maybe it has specific usefulness that escapes me....anyone can fill me in?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

John Peel the musician:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What's wrong with referring to reviews to find new artists one might enjoy?
It is so incredibly subjective that it hardly works for me. Even more so on people who truly love quality reproduction.

I'm sure many of you (myself included) jump from Monteverdi to Front Line Assembly and actually love both.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that his musical tastes are now clear to all of us.
It is not necessary to repeat it all the time.

Peel's taste was far, far more varied than just stuff like Napalm Death.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Peel's taste was far, far more varied than just stuff like Napalm Death.
The man was a wheelspring: from mainstream pop like Tears for Fears to very niche stuff like Sisters of Mercy (by the time of First, and Last, and Always). He had a gift to find incredible music.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
when is , Amir going to test this bs snake oil .
it gets the headless panther .

View attachment 233328
Snake oil de jour for sure. It was apparently at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Snake oil de jour for sure. It was apparently at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
and the paid shills gave it good bs reviews . i saw the link .
so , does anyone have some spare off-cuts of MDF laying around and jigsaw ? or maybe some lots of cardboard from a dustbin i can always glue it together and cut the wiggle shapes out and stick it on broomstick handle .
that shakit is

just about any object randomly placed around the room with REW frequency sweep will show small tiny fraction dB difference . maybe get egg boxes and cut them up in small sizes and suspend them with string from the ceiling and see what frequency difference it makes ? personally i take the egg boxes to farm , farms always appreciate egg boxes for real chicken eggs .

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

du jour? The hallograph's been around for more than a decade.

(du jour refers to something that is a current fad, likely to fade)

Top Bottom