• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting new Cambridge Audio streamers MXN10 and AXN10

MarnixM

Cambridge Audio announced two new players, the MXN10 and the AXN10. both based on the ESS SABRE ES9033Q and both with Spotify Connect, TIDAL & Qobuz built in. Roon ready. Support up to 768KHz 32bit PCM, and DSD512. Prices very competitive resp. €499,- and €599,-. Hope they will be tested soon.

MXN10.jpg
AXN10.jpg

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone is curious as to the difference between the two:

The MXN10 offers the same features and functionality in a more compact form factor, making it a discreet and easy way to add streaming to any music system – including bringing vintage kit bang up to date.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
What are the numbered buttons on the face plate for?

Olmeda

I wonder how it will play or how you will see the files on the USB without a screen. Through the cell phone app?

OldManMatt

I just got the smaller MXN10 delivered to the house. I popped in to ASR to see if there was any data or feedback on the unit. I literally just hooked it (listened to 3 tracks thru Tidal) up then stepped outside for a smoke. Super simple quick install...I Ethernet cabled into the back of the unit and I'm going to hook up the wifi/Chromecast in just a minute. I coaxed out into a RME ADI-2. I believe the 10 has an internal Dac, i'll try it out this weekend.

The CastMagic app has a good layout and is pretty quick to respond..unlike some other streaming apps. I had a CXN2 for a little while about a year ago so I'm kinda familiar with their app. It seems like they changed or improved it..or maybe I just don't completely remember how it was. It is definitely workable though in my opinion...and without a bunch of lag.

In the past in my home I've had the original Node, a WiiM, Zen Stream, the Cambridge CXN2, the B&W Formation streamer, and Arcam SA30's internal streamer. I would have ranked the Cambridge app behind the Node's and WiiM's...but definitely better than the Arcam, Zen, and B&W's home apps in my opinion. I'm hoping Cambridge improved upon what was already a decent app in my opinion. Too early to tell but it seems strong and promising.

Those 4 buttons on the front are supposed to be for saved playlists. You should be able to walk up to it, press a button, and instantly get one of your favorite playlists running. Kinda cool I guess. The device seems solidly built. Has a little weight considering the size. Packaging and box is very nice, gave me that hi-end feeling lol. I'll spend some time with the app and unit and give some feedback and pics after a couple days with it.

OldManMatt

Let us (me) how you like it after a few days. Thanks.
So I've been using the smaller Cambridge streamer for about a month now. I've had absolutely no issues with it. Mostly using Tidal but no lag or problems using Sirius radio or YouTube from my phone to the Cambridge. I never have to turn the unit on or off, it senses when a signal is being sent to it and goes into standby shortly after I'm done with it. No headaches what so ever with this thing...it's like it's not even there, just responds to whatever I'm doing on my phone. Bluetooth works great.

I still haven't listened to it using it's internal dac so I can't comment on it's sound quality. I initially purchased it to use it's analog outs but I've been having issues with a tube pre build so only been using the Cambridge coax out into the RME. As far as the unit itself and the Stream Magic app I have no complaints. Well I wish it had USB output but when I ordered it I didn't think I'd be using any digital outs. Sometimes I use the Magic app for internet radio and Tidal, sometimes I just use the Tidal connect app. Either way this is the only streamer I've used that I didn't encounter some type of issue, big or small. No freezing, loss of app control, drop out, lag, whatever. I do have it Ethernet wired though.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve said it before, Cambridge has really good streaming software. Like ROPIEEXL but adding Chromecast, Spotify, Tidal, and true Airplay (not Shairplay, or whatever that is in ROPIEEXL)

Reactions: Fr6

OldManMatt

I’ve said it before, Cambridge has really good streaming software. Like ROPIEEXL but adding Chromecast, Spotify, Tidal, and true Airplay (not Shairplay, or whatever that is in ROPIEEXL)
Yeah I'm pretty impressed with their software, it works exactly like we should expect for the price of these things. I mentioned I ran the CXN2 for awhile a year or two ago, the software wasn't 100% stable for me then like it is now, although it was still one of the better ones back then for me. Even the WiiM which I considered to be pretty good will give me issues from time to time. Lately it's been playing my playlists in some type of shuffle mode, as well as the app functions will freeze up but still play music. I'll have to close the app then reopen it to gain control again.

konstancij

Excuse me for continuing old thread, but why there seems so little interest / recommendations here for CA MXN10? From what I see it has everything streaming plus flac from USB, with the exception of amazon music, color screen and digital inputs. I am considering it instead of other options, because being somewhat more expensive it looks like a proper device and does almost everything I need. However, I have a feeling that there is something everybody knows but doesn't tell. No measurement (here too), no real reviews - only commercials with the same pictures and words. Even above, OldManMatt, use it with external DAC. is it ess vs akm, or price is too low for CA device to be good... What is current cosensus on this device, is it recommended?

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I haven't tried it, however it looks like a decent device at a fair price (typically well engineered Cambridge Audio products don't cost a fortune). Basically it's a CXN v2 with a different newer DAC chip and without screen, remote and possibility to use it as an external DAC. As to me I would rather buy a second hand CXN v2 (with the above mentioned extra functionality) for similar money rather than MXN10/AXN10.

Top Bottom