• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting comparison technique - Genelec 8030c vs Adam A7X

MaxRockbin

I hadn't seen anyone do a test quite like this and thought I'd see what other people think:
Russian Guy with live graphs of Genelec vs Adam
(use the YouTube CC button for translation though it's barely necessary. Also some details of his test setup are in his dooblidoo description below the video)

This is NOT useful for learning the actual response of the speakers. After all there's room response, microphone response, etc.

But by watching where the Adam & Genelec curves differ significantly, it's apparent which is closer to the actual source curve in different frequency ranges.
He starts off playing pink noise and then goes through different music tracks. Hope you like Russian Metal.

Though I have to say, I'm not clear on where his source curve comes from. I don't think it's just the .wav file straight out of Cubase, but maybe? If so, his room response is mighty close to flat. But his pink noise curve seemed a bit on the lumpy side. ???

Anyway, it seems fairly convincing that at least at least in a fairly dead room from one listening point, the Adam has the edge below 150hz and the Genelec owns everything above that. Wouldn't it be interesting to see this kind of live video for other pairs?

(I should say, I can think of reasons this kind of thing is misleading. For example, if he has too much bass absorption in his room, the Genelec bass could be more accurate, but show here as too low. That's what a flat speaker might do in that situation).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec seems to do better in treble, Adam in lows.

Top Bottom