• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting Amplifier- Configure you own Hypex Amp (4 Slots)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been shopping for an amp and came across this site which looks interesting.
https://www.kjfaudio.com/hypex-amplifiers/
You have up to 4 slots to populate the Amplifier with (up to 8 channels) with the following amplifier modules:
NC122MP
NC250MP
NC252MP
NC500MP
NC502MP
NC100HF

It looks to have come from a successful kickstarter campaign (link). Looks to have been a really well thought out product offering something different. Being able to mix modules and do it in up to 8 channels provides some interesting options for those with active speakers, wanting 1 amp for both main speakers and a sub, or an 8 channel home theater amp. While shipping doesn't show up as an option to the U.S. yet, I chatted with them and they can do it and will provide a shipping quote for U.S. customers.

Some more interesting info.
"Built around a single circuit board containing all of the connectors and electronics the microprocessor-controlled circuit provides all the back panel Inputs and house keeping duties required by the amplifier modules and provides a simple user interface. Each amplifier module provides feedback about it’s status to the housekeeping board, electrical status, temperature, DC detection, and clipping are all monitored, recorded and presented to the user. Error states are displayed on the RGB LED ring around the single push button on the front of the case and modules are shut down under extreme conditions.
The controller also controls the on board dual near silent 120mm PWM fans. 6 x 500 Watt amps or 8 x 250 Watt amps can pull a lot of current! Class-D amps are magnitudes more efficient than Class-A some heat is still produced which needs to be controlled. A lot of manufactures ignore this because of the efficiencies of class D amplifiers and for the most part that is OK, I wanted to ensure cool running in as many environments as possible. Due to keeping the costs affordable, huge heat sinks were out, we decided on 2 large silent pulse width-controlled fans. The internal temperature of the amplifiers is fed back to the microprocessor which in turn can regulate thermal limits. If the amplifiers start operating above their nominal range the microprocessor starts turning the fan slowly enough that they are inaudible, pushing the volume and potentially the temperature even higher, the fans speed up to compensate, even at full RPM they are <20dbA. They are electrically isolated from the rest of the system so as not to interfere with delicate audio signals in the rest of the amp.
The amplifier modules are fully differential (balanced) and so it is possible to connect both fully balanced sources or single ended sources. I looked at the engineering of the competition and almost without exception they provide both an XLR for balanced connections and a phono for single ended connections, however, you can only use one at a time so there is a switch provided to switch to one or the other. I didn’t want a switch in the signal path on this amp so I decided to use the much more modern combo connector from Neutrik which can provide either a balanced or single ended connection via gold plated pins directly to the gold traces on the PCB. Balanced connection is achieved via the tried and tested (AES 48 compliant) XLR cables and single ended sources via a phono to XLR cable, which will provide a shielded cable run or any unbalanced cable with a ¼ inch TR (tip/ring) connector one end, which will also insert directly into the combo connector. OK, your posh audiophile cable with solid silver phono plugs either end will be redundant, but you’ll be using high quality well designed industry standard connectors instead. "

dc655321

Major Contributor
Thanks for posting this!
That is exactly what I was looking for (and failing) for a DIY project.

EDIT: priced out what I need (6 ch) for about $1900 USD. Not bad.
Was going ask @March Audio at some point if he'd consider offering something like this, given that he implemented something similar for his DIY speakers.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting this!
That is exactly what I was looking for (and failing) for a DIY project.

EDIT: priced out what I need (6 ch) for about $1900 USD. Not bad.

Very welcome!

Crane

Forum Donor
Big issue with this site is shipping limitation

OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big issue with this site is shipping limitation
While chatting I brought that up as well. Until it is available during checkout the person I chatted with said to contact them with a U.S. address to get a shipping quote.

zermak

Funny. I've just made something similar for my 5.1 in the living room with ICEPower modules (2x 125ASX2 and 1x 50ASX2BTL), same encolsure (HIFI2000) and power switch (with white light).
The ICEPower module are surely lower-spec'ed that the NCore ones (plus I could't find any here) but them are enough for the job, cosidering their price.

OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a message from kjfaudio and shipping to the U.S. is now working for checkout. Definitely giving it some thought.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't know that, thanks.

KJF audio

Audio Company
Hi all, i've been encouraged to join the forum by one of the potential customers posting above, so here I am. This looks like a great forum, just up my street, I'm not sure how I've missed it until now. I post on quite a lot of forums as Orangeart in the UK and DIYaudio so may know some of you.

It might take me a while to get used to some of the rules here about being a commercial member etc so I hope I am not crossing any lines by answering any questions that appear here.

I have shipped quite a few of these amps over to the states so am more than happy to do so. It was noted above that I didn't have USA shipping. I added that yesterday so fingers crossed that should work properly now.

I've have some emails from members since this thread appeared asking about config options. The OP covers it pretty well, but following the link in that post should give you plenty of info. There is also a configurator that allows you to choose the modules you'll have in your amp, fashia colour and speaker connector options. In short, hopefully you'll find it's the most flexible way of getting your hands on an amp with these modules, with an easy path to reconfiguring that amp in the future. Any questions I'd be more than happy to answer.

Stefan

Last edited:
Top Bottom