• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interest check: Leather headbands for AKG K240/271 + clones

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My daily driver pair of headphones is a Samson SR850. I love the sound, but the wear comfort was not to my liking out-of-the-box. I have big ears and a bald head, and the SR850 has some relatively small and rough velour earpads and a hard plastic headband.

I fixed the ear comfort with a set of XL micro suede pads from Brainwavz, but my bald head required a DIY solution.

I made an SVG-file with an outline of the original design and used it to cut a crude replacement from a strip of cheap leather with a box cutter. It made a big difference in comfort.

Seeing how simple the design of the headband is, it got me thinking that it wouldn't be much trouble to get some nice Italian leather and laser cut a bunch of these to get a much better product than my own DIY attempt.

As far as I can tell, the mechanical design of the SR850 is a more or less a direct copy of the AKG K240, and the closed back variants (SR950 and K271) use the same headband. I'm assuming that the Samson headband is interchangeable with both the original AKGs and all of the other clones, including Superlux HD681/662, PreSonus HD7 and Knox Gear TX-100/200, but I could be wrong?

If I start making a boatload of leather headbands, my selling price will probably be around $20 + shipping.

Would people be interested in something like that? Or would it be a waste of time, money and leather? :D

Top Bottom