• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interactive Review Tables (Defunct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you group the categories somewhat? DACs are too many boxes to check.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Can you group the categories somewhat? DACs are too many boxes to check.
I'll try. I'll group them as DAC (*). There will still be a lot of categories though.

I think another thing I can do to reduce the number of categories is to add Streamer to Subtype. There're just one or two pure streamers that Amir's tested.

I'm of course open to any other ideas about how to organize or present this data.

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
So there are still over 70 distinct categories for electronics after my attempts to consolidate them offline.

I think what I can do is to keep that list of 70 or so, and then create a "Main Categories" checklist with just a few that you can click on and off:
  • ADC
  • AVR/AVP
  • DAC
  • Headphone Amp
  • Preamp
  • Phono
  • Speaker Amp
  • Streamer
So if you want a DAC with a headphone amp and steaming capability (whether Bluetooth or Roon, etc.), you'd check those three options and the list will pop up. If you just want one or the other, hit a single category.

I'll also add that "Sort By" filter that would let mobile users access column sorting.

Last edited:

noel_fs

I really dont want to be negative but the new index is a huge pain in the ass, in every aspect possible. So many categories that dont help at all, takes a few seconds to load selections. Really doesnt make sense the way its thought, with so many categories you are supposed to select some, not unselect all and then select a few while having to wait for selctions to load... You have to select different types of review to get all of the measurements avaliable. No search function which is something super basic, doesnt make any sense having a huge index without a search bar... please just revive the old index until the new one gets refined.

Im trying to be constructive dont take it the wrong way i assume you had put some work into this for all of us for free

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I really dont want to be negative but the new index is a huge pain in the ass, in every aspect possible. So many categories that dont help at all, takes a few seconds to load selections. Really doesnt make sense the way its thought, with so many categories you are supposed to select some, not unselect all and then select a few while having to wait for selctions to load... You have to select different types of review to get all of the measurements avaliable. No search function which is something super basic, doesnt make any sense having a huge index without a search bar... please just revive the old index until the new one gets refined.

Im trying to be constructive dont take it the wrong way i assume you had put some work into this for all of us for free

The only other system I know that's capable of handling this much data is Google Sheets.

Here's an example of a huge database (from Tesla's community-driven entries):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YeLtMxFt9Lh8mndZhjOqrzFfWQ_r5T9LS-l3gQzPXCk/edit#gid=0
This has 25 columns, and 5800 rows =>145,000 entries

Once that loads...on your phone or desktop/laptop, it's immediately NOT usable, unless you start to filter out entries.
To do that, the community had to educate every person who opened the spreadsheet on instructions on how to do that.
So a learning curve is REQUIRED for every individual who wants to use this database!
TLsxcAi.gif

As you can see, this is PAIN-IN-THE-**** process.

Comparing the two systems, the current system using Tableau doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

Further improvements can still be made:
1. Hardware categories can be cleaned up a bit (as discussed above)
2. Universal search bar

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

No offense taken. What would you change to make it better? I can think about mods if you come wishlist or something like it.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Puska Font color's been changed to black.

The other requested changes are in the works.

Puska

Can you please change the lettering in the table to darker black or bold black. Thank you in advance.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Organizing the various requests.

To do list (random order):
  1. Moved to first post.
I'll do all of these as I have time. Right now my main focus is prepping the measurements sheet for @Koeitje's comparison chart.

Last edited:

ChrisPa

I'll do all of these as I have time. Right now my main focus is prepping the measurements sheet for @Koeitje's comparison chart.
What's happening with the SINAD charts? (Is this the right thread for this question or are the charts being handled/discussed somewhere else?)
The older "master" threads all seem to point to this one, and the first post in this thread says the new (interactive) chart is under construction

My request would be to simply add the SINAD value to the current interactive table allowing it to be sorted by SINAD

I know that
- there are then lots of other specs that others would like to see and sort by
- SINAD may not be a valid measure for all categories
but simply adding SINAD is possibly a quick fix to replace the information that the charts provided previously and removes pressure for a full measurements chart

Thanks to anyone who's putting in the effort to create/maintain any of this collated data. It's appreciated

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What's happening with the SINAD charts? (Is this the right thread for this question or are the charts being handled/discussed somewhere else?)
The older "master" threads all seem to point to this one, and the first post in this thread says the new (interactive) chart is under construction

My request would be to simply add the SINAD value to the current interactive table allowing it to be sorted by SINAD

I know that
- there are then lots of other specs that others would like to see and sort by
- SINAD may not be a valid measure for all categories
but simply adding SINAD is possibly a quick fix to replace the information that the charts provided previously and removes pressure for a full measurements chart

Thanks to anyone who's putting in the effort to create/maintain any of this collated data. It's appreciated
The issue with adding the SINAD value to the review tables is that there are typically multiple configurations per unit (example: input/output combinations) which I can't capture unless I choose just one. An interactive comparison chart will let you cycle through various measurements and hardware categories as you like. So from the data side the main issue is logistical: review tables have multiple line items per unit to capture all the various review types, while the interactive chart will have multiple line items per unit for each of its configurations (usually choosing the best case result).

As for the deadline, I've had to spend a lot of time reconciling the old measurements spreadsheet to the new one for reviews, plus updating it to match the way the data is organized across tables. You'll have to take my word about how convoluted this is. I'm verifying the old data and adding new entries as I go. So, sorry, but it'll likely take another while before the test version is up.

ChrisPa

Pozz, I agree with all your points

My counter would be that (iirc) the old chart only gave 1 SINAD value - or at least that's how it seemed for DACs.
And therefore, in the short term, a single value in the master review table would be equivalent to the old SINAD charts

OTOH I do appreciate the effort going into the new results tables/charts and I wouldn't want to distract from that

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Pozz, I agree with all your points

My counter would be that (iirc) the old chart only gave 1 SINAD value - or at least that's how it seemed for DACs.
And therefore, in the short term, a single value in the master review table would be equivalent to the old SINAD charts

OTOH I do appreciate the effort going into the new results tables/charts and I wouldn't want to distract from that
The old chart often had two or three entries depending on config (RCA out, XLR out, S/PDIF In, and so on).

It won't be as long as you think. I'm talking weeks, not months.

WesParker

I skimmed through the 4 pages pretty fast and didn't see if this was offered up, but would it be possible to add a column for amps and DACs that are based around packaged designs. Such as filtering on all DACs with a ESS9038 PRO chip, or all Amps based on NC 500 boards.

Also, a note on something like SINAD. I don't know how the backend of Tableau works, and i'm no DBA, but I have dabbled in SQL a little. For SINAD, could you have a table that had three columns , one for device, one for SINAD type, and one for SINAD value. Then when someone is filtering it would pull the SINAD value based on what they were filtering, or a chosen SINAD type? This would cover devices that have multiple SINADs.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I skimmed through the 4 pages pretty fast and didn't see if this was offered up, but would it be possible to add a column for amps and DACs that are based around packaged designs. Such as filtering on all DACs with a ESS9038 PRO chip, or all Amps based on NC 500 boards.

Also, a note on something like SINAD. I don't know how the backend of Tableau works, and i'm no DBA, but I have dabbled in SQL a little. For SINAD, could you have a table that had three columns , one for device, one for SINAD type, and one for SINAD value. Then when someone is filtering it would pull the SINAD value based on what they were filtering, or a chosen SINAD type? This would cover devices that have multiple SINADs.
Last I counted there are 49 columns in total for the measurements sheet (it's a Google sheet which feeds the Tableau front end). It includes filters for DAC chips and power amp modules. I'm filling in this data myself right now but I'll need help ensuring accuracy and so on when it's launched.

Same thing now for price and release date. That data is not easy to come by (high-quality sources, I mean) and I would appreciate help filling it in.

WesParker

Last I counted there are 49 columns in total for the measurements sheet (it's a Google sheet which feeds the Tableau front end). It includes filters for DAC chips and power amp modules. I'm filling in this data myself right now but I'll need help ensuring accuracy and so on when it's launched.

Same thing now for price and release date. That data is not easy to come by (high-quality sources, I mean) and I would appreciate help filling it in.
Is the Google Sheet public?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Is the Google Sheet public?
Nope. The compiled data is kept private by Amir's request. Anyone wanting to help out would have to be consistently available to have access.

And I think I misread your comment before. I could add filters for DAC chips and power amp modules to the current review table, but I'd have to think about the visual side to avoid clutter. I still disagree with adding SINAD since there are many more values being captured than that. It would be too complex for one sheet.

The main reason that there's so much work now is because the data has evolved over the course of the last six months. Once this initial prep period is over maintaining it won't be hard.

WesParker

Nope. The compiled data is kept private by Amir's request. Anyone wanting to help out would have to be consistently available to have access.

And I think I misread your comment before. I could add filters for DAC chips and power amp modules to the current review table, but I'd have to think about the visual side to avoid clutter. I still disagree with adding SINAD since there are many more values being captured than that. It would be too complex for one sheet.

The main reason that there's so much work now is because the data has evolved over the course of the last six months. Once this initial prep period is over maintaining it won't be hard.

I agree that trying to keep up with that much data in one sheet would get convoluted, that's what I was suggesting a multi-table approach. I wouldn't mind helping, but wouldn't want to slow the community down if I didn't have enough time/energy to spend on it.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I agree that trying to keep up with that much data in one sheet would get convoluted, that's what I was suggesting a multi-table approach. I wouldn't mind helping, but wouldn't want to slow the community down if I didn't have enough time/energy to spend on it.
I'll PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom