• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intel Ghost Canyon NUC

SpyB

Last edited:

Eirikur

Just thought that some here, maybe interested in the New NUC that's coming.

Here are 2 links and the Chinese one,I have never seen anyone do such a in depth review.

Like this site/so many images "a review in images" amazing

https://wccftech.com/intel-ghost-canyon-nuc-element-pc-review-leaked/

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://koolshare.cn/thread-168913-1-1.html

That's a great teardown - 4 fans! Not a great choice to embed the power supply.

OP
SpyB

SpyB

That's a great teardown - 4 fans! Not a great choice to embed the power supply.

I would not say embeded,not much different to a full size desktop/just miniaturized version

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 427
  • Inside PSU.jpg
    Inside PSU.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 235
OP
SpyB

SpyB

Of which 2 are rather small - rarely good for noise.

You are probably right,there will be a high noise level, I think on the Chinese site they measured 59db fully loaded.

Although like all Intel NUC PC's there are Bios adjustments so one can find a compromise.

Image is a snapshot from the Bios of the Ghost Canyon NUC

Attachments

• Fan settings.jpg
    Fan settings.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 229

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
59dB is noisy. Way to much for me. It would also be interesting,to see how the thermals go inside at medium charge and if the processor or the m2 disks are throttle. I have not been able to build a small pc which has good thermal, low to no noise and is powerful. Either you go fanless but then you are throttle often, water cooling help to make a small case but still noisy (less than the nuc around 47db). End of the day I have a very large case with a very large cooler for the same hardware (Around 40dB at 200w Which is my average usage when working).

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Although like all Intel NUC PC's there are Bios adjustments so one can find a compromise.

Image is a snapshot from the Bios of the Ghost Canyon NUC
Depending on OS you can set thermal and/or cpu speed limits at runtime too. But in that case you're dragging the performance down to the level of cheaper/lower power options anyway. I'd stick to using it where I need the performance in a small package, and noise isn't an issue.

The PSU looks like a slight repackage of a standard 1U PSU, and the 'compute unit' and backplane reminds me of the PCIMG industrial computer backplane arrangements. Come to think of it I once used a 4-slot backplane with a case that would have been that size for data acquisition...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst this is a nice looking piece of kit, it's diverging quite a long way from the original NUC's 4-by-4 inch form factor. The leaked specs say that it will accept an 8" GFX card which implies that the the Ghost Canyon unit has at least 4x the footprint of the standard NUC. I think at this size and likely price, i'd be looking to build something myself.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst this is a nice looking piece of kit, it's diverging quite a long way from the original NUC's 4-by-4 inch form factor. The leaked specs say that it will accept an 8" GFX card which implies that the the Ghost Canyon unit has at least 4x the footprint of the standard NUC. I think at this size and likely price, I'd be looking to build something myself.

Agreed, @Berwhale. I appreciate that the OP put this in a separate thread. Although it is an amazing little beast that will appeal to gamers, the loud fans and larger size defeat the purposes I brought up for discussion in the other recent NUC thread. The other thread is more about general computing, audio editing and playback, and video viewing up to 1080p, and perhaps 4K utilizing the appproximately 4-4.5" (~115mm) square footprint of the older to current Generation 1-8 NUCs. The Bean Canyon/Coffee Lake Gen 8i7 NUCs - like my new one that I am setting up and configuring - are small, and very good performing Linux/Windows PCs, but they would not make serious gamers happy.

Even though I am not a gamer, I have watched YouTube reviews of modern PC gaming hardware, and realize that is is a whole 'nuther world in terms of extreme graphics capability. Until quantum or light based computers go mainstream, those guys and their water-coolers will struggle with heat problem and have to accept high power consumption.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still like my little Dawson Canyon NUC. This thing would likely sound like a hovercraft sitting on my desk.

Martin

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When an "outsider" like me looks into the world of gaming, we quickly realize that gaming PCs are about much more than bright neon-like LED lights illuminating the innards of a big tower PC chassis. Many gamers, especially younger ones, seem to like that bright, glitzy style, but it just looks like mini Las Vegas on a budget to me.

While the Ghost Canyon NUC may be marginal for the most serious of gamers, an updated version of the 2016 "Project Biohazard" Steampunk gaming PC and a $220 Azio "Retro Classic" keyboard would do the job - and even stream some @Thomas savage approved Death Metal simultaneously. (I have been in a number of steam power rooms/plants in my life, starting as a young child in the 1940s in the midwest region of the U.S., and still have a nostalgic connection to that old, dirty, dangerous, polluting technogy on which the Steampunk style of art is based.)
AZIO Elwood Retro Classic Keyboard.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How all old things are 'new' again! I recently hired a guy to install a heater in my garage workshop, and turned out he also makes steampunk light fixtures (as an HVAC plumber he spent a lot of his career working on steam systems)...and needed some wooden boxes made up for his prototypes, so I was able to help him out with those in my nice new heated shop!
ANYWAY - RE NUCs - Y'know, I spent several hours tying to 'suss out' when Intel might be announcing a new NUC, thinking that new models would get snapped up by the high ender (gamers?) and so further deprecate the value of older NUCs.
Looks like I just missed that timing - if it has any effect all.
Not that I'm at all unhappy with the skull canyon I ended up with, or the price I paid:)
I guess if I were Really Smart (like Eccles), I'd simply wait For Ever to decide on a new PC and so spend even less!!
o_O
Thanks for the info!!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@Xulonn some people have gone to the trouble to convert old manual typewriters so they may be used as computer keyboards! One of those with an appropriate rusted-out look would be perfect with that PC! :D
And a Fresnel in front of the screen. And plenty of ducts.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When an "outsider" like me looks into the world of gaming, we quickly realize that gaming PCs are about much more than bright neon-like LED lights illuminating the innards of a big tower PC chassis. Many gamers, especially younger ones, seem to like that bright, glitzy style, but it just looks like mini Las Vegas on a budget to me.

Gamers and Modders are different tribes, membership of one does not imply membership of the other. Then there's the Overclocker tribe which may, or may not intersect with either or both Gamer and Modder tribes, I guess we need a Venn diagram to explain this... :)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gamers and Modders are different tribes, membership of one does not imply membership of the other. Then there's the Overclocker tribe which may, or may not intersect with either or both Gamer and Modder tribes, I guess we need a Venn diagram to explain this... :)

Another afirmation of my wisdom in chosing my avatar. Thanks, Berwhale.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Indeed! Age correlation might be interesting as well.
I put together my desktop a few years ago to be a gaming system, but not into the overclocking thing (dabbled...) or the modding (because I'm out of high school).

I do like that keyboard a lot though...

Top Bottom