• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intel destroyed by AMD, let's talk like audio

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I've rebuild some HPZ600 Workstations for the "office at home" during the lock down. With 2 Xeons and lot of RAM, from Aliexpress - 30€ for the Xeons an 30€ for 24Go RAM in triple channel - the Z600 were able to score 13500 points in CPU Benchmark, so the users were not complaining using Autodesk products with these computers.

It's a kind of shame to see a 2010 design still working correctly in 2020. I think during years Intel was alone on the market and they were giving a very little part of innovation each year to their customers.

Now they are eating their cake.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most computer sites are similar to ASR. Measure and get to the real performance available. I guess Intel wants to live in the land of subjective audio review for awhile.

While there might be faster CPU's, you cannot deny the elan and smoothness one feels in using a proven Intel based machine. There is more to computing than specs.

Hmmmmm, NO, I don't think that is going to fly.

mansr

Major Contributor
This isn't the first time AMD has taken Intel by surprise. Let's not forget it was AMD that brought us cheap 64-bit computing. Even when not in the lead, AMD has always been there alongside.
amd.jpg

What was that about computers getting smaller?

Music1969

Major Contributor
My CPU (i9-9900K) is actually an important part of my music playback.

I use HQPlayer (on the fly convolution for digital room correction plus upsampling to DSD) and some of their newer DSD modulators need running speed (max boost) close to 5GHz for 2 cores. I don't overclock.

I haven't seen any AMD's with running speed at 5GHz without overclocking?

Are we talking about AMD catching Intel by surprise in mobile CPU's? Or everything?

I would imagine for peak gaming performance, the i9‑10900K is king? Especially when paired with top Nvidia RTX GPU?

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
I believe AMD currently tops out at 4.7 GHz (Ryzen 9), so if ultimate single-thread performance is what you need, then Intel may have the edge at present. In other applications, increasing the core count or I/O bandwidth give better gains.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I had the same thought. Sad to see a company with such brilliant engineering being undermined by it's management.

Intel was always run by some of the biggest wolves of industry. They’ve been caught and have been made to pay fines for bribery, and a multitude of other anti-competitive practices.

They’ve never been able to shed this image of themselves when Dell finally grew the balls to expose their bribery they were subjected to disguised as rebates.

Now we have them backed into a corner like dogs, while they embarrassingly scramble due to their hibernation thinking they were going to keep mainstream consumers rocking 4-core CPUs for another decade or something.

The 10-series launched recently, requiring yet another new motherboard upgrade. It’s built on the same 14nm process that started with Skylake coming in nearly half a decade ago. Unbelievable.

How sad really, the 10-series should have been the 10nm nodes debut. Instead that looks to be more distant every single release.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most computer sites are similar to ASR. Measure and get to the real performance available. I guess Intel wants to live in the land of subjective audio review for awhile.

While there might be faster CPU's, you cannot deny the elan and smoothness one feels in using a proven Intel based machine. There is more to computing than specs.

Hmmmmm, NO, I don't think that is going to fly.

Is this an actual quotes?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really enjoyed Intel's CEO quote at the start of your linked article. A masterful bullshit bingo winner :)
Yeah I cannot believe he said that, unbelievable. AMD is going to release Zen 3 before the end of the year, Apple could ditch Intel for their own chipset soon, and AMD is gaining ground in laptops with their 4000 Series. Intel is getting desperate

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The person who wrote the article is also a BS artist ...

GeorgeWalk

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So when you lose on the spec side, it's time to follow the audio industry snake oil standards.

Measurements are from the past, let's talk about the organic experience.
Hahahha.:p

Of course, there shouldn't be absolutely any deny about AMDs leadership when it comes to productivity/rendering performance.

Still,

I long hesitated between AMD and Intel platform for my early 2020 build.
Since my main computer is 80% about gaming, I ended up with a Z390 / 9700K / 32Go 3600Mhz set up. Why? Because Intel CPUs are still ahead when it comes to FPS/pure gaming performance (and only this). Pretty obvious when you look at 1080p benchs. Then, the gap reduces when you go up to 1440p/UHD

For my future build, I could turn around for some X670/AMD 4000 build. But I will only if Gaming performance benchmarked (same as "measured") comes closer to what Intel 10th Gen has to offer.

By the way, the aforementioned build is a very tiny SFF/itx one. Here it is:

IMG_20200514_153118.jpg

IMG_20200519_231217.jpg

IMG_20200521_011357.jpg

IMG_20200514_153311.jpg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AMD has long been a goad to Intel, but neither AMD nor Apple are a real challenge - the worry is NVDA and their GPU based AI and etc. chips.

Rizzle

I do wish AMD would nudge their motherboard manufacturers to implement more TB3, they're finally starting to do so. Even then, I also wonder how stable e.g. drivers for TB3 audio interfaces are on AMD. Their CPU drivers are quite stable but GPU drivers are a complete mess. Of course USB4 should alleviate the need for TB3.

Even worse for AMD is of course nVidia, I believe they are already ahead in raw performance and power consumption. Not to mention additional features like the nvenc encoder and they have not yet moved to 7nm, which should happen soon.

GeorgeWalk

AMD has long been a goad to Intel, but neither AMD nor Apple are a real challenge - the worry is NVDA and their GPU based AI and etc. chips.

Yes, but Apple uses Intel chips in the Macs right now. That is about 10% of the total PC market. That will be a blow to Intel's market share and revenue.

mansr

Major Contributor
Yes, but Apple uses Intel chips in the Macs right now. That is about 10% of the total PC market. That will be a blow to Intel's market share and revenue.
The money is in the server market. AMD currently has a very compelling offering there, but many companies will be very reluctant to switch vendors.

Top Bottom