• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating Monolith 10 sub with active speakers?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello there,

Got a problem after purchasing the Monolith 10 yesterday (damn discounts!) and how to integrate it into my system.

I currently have a Topping DX3 Pro+ connected to my active speakers (Nubert A20 RCA-IN only). I use the DX3Pro+ as a preamp to control the volume.
How would i integrate the Sub (which has XLR input and RCA input - no output) into this system?

ideas so far:
1. RCA splitter from DX3Pro+ to active monitors and sub?
2. minidps 2x4 (which would effectivly ruin my SINAD though)
3. Buying Topping E50: XLR to sub (which one though left side, right side?) - RCA to active speakers

Any others ideas?

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
Do either the mains or sub have a volume control? If so why not run the XLR to one and the RCA to the other? If not, then it gets messier, and you may need to put an in line attenuator into one of the runs. I believe they can be found for about 25.00. The other simple option would be to use the headphone output and attenuate that to drive the less sensitive of the two--I believe it outputs closer to 8 volts that the 2 volts available at the line level outputs (distortion is the same, but the HP out ios likely a smidge noisier, so all else being equal should go to the woofer).

Last edited:
OP
ninetylol

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do either the mains or sub have a volume control? If so why not run the XLR to one and the RCA to the other? If not, then it gets messier, and you may need to put an in line attenuator into one of the runs. I believe they can be found for about 25.00. The other simple option would be to use the headphone output and attenuate that to drive the less sensitive of the two--I believe it outputs closer to 8 volts that the 2 volts available at the line level outputs.
both have volume control. Of course I would like to spend the least amount possible, so if a simple RCA splitter would suffice then that would be great. Which channel (left or right) would i connect to the sub though?

DSC07042.JPG

JRS

Major Contributor
Great! And I see I was mistaken, you (the Dx3) only have RCA outputs and so a splitter will be needed.

komhst

Two RCA splitters from topping to your active speakers and subwoofer is the only solution.

96ff7bd2-a6b2-42f5-a6e6-04ff9f0b46fb_1.eb84391b5a5256e837cd7ad82a6a77b5.jpeg

MCH

Major Contributor
But how do you plan to apply a filter to your main speakers without the minidsp?

Top Bottom