• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating a turntable into a digital system

Pe8er

The other day, I ventured into a record store and couldn't resist buying the latest TOOL on vinyl. It's a huge and gorgeous package with beautiful artwork and 5 records!

I'd love to check out how it sounds but not only I don't have a record player, my entire system is digital! So here I am, reaching out to this lovely community for help on how to integrate a turntable into my setup. I'm not looking for turntable advice, that choice will somewhat depend on the rest of the setup.

Here's how my system looks:

Computer → [USB cable] → MiniDSP SHD Studio → [digital XLR cables] → Genelecs 8351

Now, here's my options based on my research:

1) USB turntable → USB>Coax box → Coax cable → MiniDSP → …

2) Turntable → phono pre-amp with digital out → MiniDSP → …

3) Turntable → phono pre-amp → ADC (?) → MiniDSP → …

4) Turntable with phono pre-amp → RCA to XLR cable (would this even work?) → Genelecs

And my questions:

1. First of all, are there any other options that would let me minimize the number of elements/boxes and not destroy my wallet?
2. Can I ask for recommendations on the red pieces please? I wouldn't want to spend more than $300 - $400.

Thanks!!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Option 1 won't work. The turntable will be a USB slave and will need a host device to communicate with it.

Ie you can connect it to a PC (host) but not another slave (USB to Coax)

Digital out of options 2/3 will need to be SPDIF (coax/toslink). Again, not USB.

4 will work, but will be a pain in the ass switching between the turntable and the SHD. And no way to control the volume - would be full.

Option 2 would be the neatest - but I'm not aware of a pre amp with spdif output, except the parks audio puffin at $600+

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
For an A/D this is easily good enough for vinyl and certainly won't break the bank:

Pair that with a bog standard phono pre such as the project box MM, and you'll have a reasonable very budget solution.

G|force

Forum Donor
If you would like to play records with any turntable and make save-as files to computer as you play them the device that you have to acquire is an A/D converter, which you may already own.

levimax

Major Contributor
If you can do some DIY I built one of these but changed the input resistor to 47K for proper cart loading https://sound-au.com/project87.htm. I then feed this into an ADC (which has enough gain on the MIC inputs for a MM cart) and then do RIAA with software on a PC, I believe you can also do with the Mini-DSP but confirm before you try. It works well and is very quiet. If not DIY I would go with the Park's Puffin as it solves all the issues in one easy to use package. It also has a lot of other useful features. Have fun!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This might work.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Just get a tt and a phonostage and use the analogue input on the 8351.
Only one Ain - currently used for SHD.

Plus with direct analogue input to the genelecs can you control the volume on the speakers?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you also considered connecting via Bluetooth? Really opens up possibilities of where the turntable can be located.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow $500 or so to play one record set (and of course more $ as you buy more vinyl). I like the idea of getting a phono stage and plugging it into an analog input on your speakers as long as you have a reasonable way to control the volume on the speakers....good luck.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think what I suggested is as close to an elegant solution as you're going to get. The old school hifi way would be to treat your SHD as a digital source and run the analog outputs into a dedicated preamp, which could also connect to a phono preamp (and a tape deck, and a radio). However, your genelec set up is simple and elegant and I don't think it's worth messing with.

It all comes down to how much you want to get into vinyl. I would recommend...not going down that path. But follow your bliss.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I think the most common high quality approach is 3. There are not many phono preamps with a built in ADC with SPDIF out (option 2), except for the Parks Audio Puffin.

This might be an option:

Willem

Major Contributor
This might work.
This is what I use and I am quite happy. However, Amir tested it and it did not measure very well. I don't mind because vinyl has enough imperfections of its own to mask any imperfections of the Project box. I had wanted to sell my Linn Sondek/SME turntable but my family would not let me. Ironically they have never used the turntable since.

OP
Pe8er

Pe8er

Thank you everyone for replies!!

Are you sure you want to go down the phonO rabbit hole? :D

Not at all, this is just a test! It does feel extremely awkward to do a 180° from where I'm at (pure digital etc.) but friends have been convincing me to try it out, now this crazy TOOL album came around…I guess at this point the most exciting aspect of vinyl for me is the artwork and packaging. I used to design CD covers for a small record label and I just love a well designed cover. Records are huge in comparison to CD, there is much more opportunity to be creative. I've actually been thinking for a while now to start collecting vinyls just for the artwork. I figured I might as well check out the sound and praise or bash it based on my own experience rather than others :)

For an A/D this is easily good enough for vinyl and certainly won't break the bank:
Pair that with a bog standard phono pre such as the project box MM, and you'll have a reasonable very budget solution.

Brilliant, thank you! I didn't see this before. It goes onto my list.

Just get a tt and a phonostage and use the analogue input on the 8351.

Yeah, that's one of the options I want to try out. I just ordered a Schiit Mani 2 and 2 players on Amazon (easy returns!) - Music Hall Classic and Fluance RT82. It will be a busy testing weekend!

Plus with direct analogue input to the genelecs can you control the volume on the speakers?

Yes, you can - using GLM software.

It all comes down to how much you want to get into vinyl. I would recommend...not going down that path. But follow your bliss.

I truly appreciate this sentiment. To be honest I am worried it will sound horrendous, given how resolving 8351s are…but the itch to experiment is too strong. Plus, if it somehow magically turns out I enjoy it, I'd be looking forward to getting into collecting vinyl.

I think the most common high quality approach is 3. There are not many phono preamps with a built in ADC with SPDIF out (option 2), except for the Parks Audio Puffin.

I saw Puffin and disqualified it - very expensive, don't like the look, digital out seems to be a pretty complicated mod. Thank you though.

This might work.

It's on the list! Thank you.

Thread 'How to integrate your turntable/analog source in your streaming system - Step by step instructions for dummies' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-step-by-step-instructions-for-dummies.33528/

Cheeky! That guide is mostly about streaming, which I'm not interested in.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all, this is just a test! It does feel extremely awkward to do a 180° from where I'm at (pure digital etc.) but friends have been convincing me to try it out, now this crazy TOOL album came around…I guess at this point the most exciting aspect of vinyl for me is the artwork and packaging. I used to design CD covers for a small record label and I just love a well designed cover. Records are huge in comparison to CD, there is much more opportunity to be creative. I've actually been thinking for a while now to start collecting vinyls just for the artwork. I figured I might as well check out the sound and praise or bash it based on my own experience rather than others :)
Well... I don't recommend it although if doing it make sure you get a decent table. Good W&F low rumble, nice speed control, auto off etc etc.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a phono stage with digital out another option would be the ART Phono Plus. IIRC/FWIW there was a special art package for Tool's Fear Inoculum for a limited number of CDs?

Top Bottom