• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated to drive Tekton Lore Reference

TheInquiring

Dear experts!

I need your advice on a solid-state integrated amp to drive a pair of these Tektons to moderate levels (65 - 70 dB) in a modest Hi-Fi music-only setup, please.
Budget: would like to stay below $500 (flexible, within reason).

Please chime in!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nobody knows!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Any long-lived brand name with 50-100W per channel.

OP
TheInquiring

TheInquiring

Thank you!
Any long-lived brand name with 50-100W per channel.
Some examples (concrete models, if at all possible, please) would be very helpful... In your opinion, should I also consider ChiFi (I am a bit reluctant here, to tell you the truth)?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an answer you may not want to hear: sell the Tektons and get some reasonably priced and well engineered actives. It will save you money, heartache, and headaches in the long run.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an answer you may not want to hear: sell the Tektons and get some reasonably priced and well engineered actives. It will save you money, heartache, and headaches in the long run.
Don't agree.

To the OP, if Chi Fi breaks, you are out of luck.

Look at integrated amps from Onkyo, Marantz and Sony and NAD. Tektons are efficient, so you can stick to the low end of the 50-100 range. I am not up on specific models. There are many and they change frequently. Look for reviews particularly on Cnet and What Hi-Fi.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
96 dB/W/m means a pair about 10' away will produce almost 110 dB with 50 W to each speaker. They claim 8-ohm average impedance. Most any name-brand amplifier will suit.

I have never ordered from this place but they have a selection of amplifiers: http://www.audioadvisor.com/product...tegrated$2520Amplifiers/sort:ss_price_min:asc Here is another list: https://www.listenup.com/shop/electronics/integrated-amplifiers.html

Look over features and prices then search for a local or online dealer you like. I would look a little higher than $500, maybe up to about $750 retail, and look for (or negotiate) a deal. Retail prices often include 30-40% markup so you may be able to save 10%-30%, more if you find a clearance or other special. And there is always the used market.

You might also consider an entry-level AVR. That way you get a tuner (radio) as well, and since there are so many you can probably find a good one cheaper than an integrated amp (since the latter tend to be more of a specialty item). You just wouldn't use the extra amplifier channels and processing modes. You might, however, find you appreciate room correction (or not).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dear experts!

I need your advice on a solid-state integrated amp to drive a pair of these Tektons to moderate levels (65 - 70 dB) in a modest Hi-Fi music-only setup, please.
Budget: would like to stay below $500 (flexible, within reason).

Please chime in!
Marantz, Some nice units were on sale at Audio Adviser

OP
TheInquiring

TheInquiring

Thank you very much!

In your opinion, dear experts, how important is it to have a fully balanced signal path (balanced all the way through means x2 parts of SE...)? Do we have any objective evidence to support such requirements?

Wombat

Master Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
In your opinion, dear experts, how important is it to have a fully balanced signal path (balanced all the way through means x2 parts of SE...)? Do we have any objective evidence to support such requirements?

There are numerous theoretical and practical advantages for some applications. Consumer audio is not usually one if them. I did write a article on ground loops that shows how balanced can help, and if you have a (very) high noise environment they can help, but most don't need them. Personally that would be very low on my feature list. I also misdoubt there will be many fully-balanced (differential) units at the $500 USD and under price point (but not something I have researched!)

FWIWFM - Don

OP
TheInquiring

TheInquiring

I must confess in recent auditions I was unable to tell balanced from SE (level matched) and now am just looking for a musical integrated, as you, dear experts, suggested me a long time ago.

On my radar at the moment:
NAD c326bee
Rega Mira 3
Marantz PM6005
Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2

Would you kindly give me your opinion on the above integrated amps, please?
What alternatives should I also consider, please?

Please chime in!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sound quality wise I believe they will all supply a top flight performance.
Compare the features that will suit your needs best.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I must confess in recent auditions I was unable to tell balanced from SE (level matched) and now am just looking for a musical integrated, as you, dear experts, suggested me a long time ago.

On my radar at the moment:
NAD c326bee
Rega Mira 3
Marantz PM6005
Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2

Please chime in!

I have the NAD C 326BEE. I use it to drive horn-mounted Altec 802 compression drivers from 500Hz upwards. I am happy with it. No issues.
Lots of inputs(RCA only). No phono pre. Tone controls, which can be 'defeated', start work closer to each end of the frequency range than most amps. I prefer this.
They are warm to the touch at idle so if you stack it leave a little room above it for air circulation. The top has lots of vent slots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom