• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: I am not looking for a solution for myself. I am simply doing research, which may result into a list of amplifiers that members who may need a solution that fits to the following specifications may benefit.

Hi

On the Emotiva speaker review thread a discussion has started on the availability of integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management and a mono subwoofer output that will allow small speakers to be used with a subwoofer? Sometimes this is called a 2.1 setup. I’m trying to create a list of equipment that can do that.

The requirements are:
  1. A one unit solution as in "integrated"
  2. Good amplification suitable for Hi-Fi usage
  3. Physical (continues) volume control and not depending on an app to use it.
  4. At least one analogue input
  5. Integrated crossover to use with a subwoofer
  6. At least one analogue subwoofer output
  7. Adjustable subwoofer crossover frequency.
  8. Cost no more than US$1000 or thereabouts
  9. Available to the UK (i.e. on sale in the UK as new.)
Bonus features:
  1. Small size as they will be used with small speakers which are often used in confined spaces.
  2. Adjustable subwoofer crossover slope
  3. Wireless streaming
  4. Roon endpoint
Not acceptable are:
  1. An AVR
  2. Any internal video circuity
So far the following mentioned. All failed to satisfy the above criteria other than the ELAC (last item). I am trying to find out what else is out there.

People on the above referenced forum swear by this 2.1 solution, which has even a THX standard attached to it but other than an AVR I can see just one suitable integrated amplifier. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: this is what the specs will read in English :)

An integrated stereo Hi-Fi amplifier that costs around $1000 new and available in the UK. It should have a continuous volume control, at least one analogue input, a subwoofer output and an integrated variable frequency active crossover allowing 2.1 setups. It should not have any video circuitry.

Various other suggested amplifiers are at post 192.

Last edited:

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pioneer SX-S30
Denon DRA-800H
Marantz NR-1200
Onkyo TX-8270

They are basically AVRs with a 2-channel amp, so they maybe violate your requirements.
They do.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No power amp.
Apologies. I looked at the miniDSP SHD.

However, it doesn’t qualify as well as it doesn’t have analogue inputs.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@sarumbear why does it have to be a single box solution? Do you need both delay and roll off of the mains? Do you have more than one analogue source? What is the rest of your system? What's wrong with the Elac?

Zedly

Forum Donor
The Marantz NR-1200 seems like it checks all of your boxes. Why is it unacceptable to you? Is it only because it has an HDMI input/passthrough?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear why does it have to be a single box solution? Do you need both delay and roll off of the mains? Do you have more than one analogue source? What is the rest of your system? What's wrong with the Elac?
There is nothing wrong with Elac. I clearly said "I am trying to find out what else is out there. "

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz NR-1200 seems like it checks all of your boxes. Why is it unacceptable to you? Is it only because it has an HDMI input/passthrough?
I do not want video circuity. I think I made it clear from the onset.

Besides, it doesn't have variable xover frequency.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD M33. Great amp and tons of features, but full of bugs.
Other than one feature I am looking for, variable subwoofer xover frequency. It is fixed at 80Hz.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
xover in the M33 can be set from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz steps (the manual is outdated)
They didn't bother to update a PDF manual!

However, I checked the cost: $4999 No thank you. It is five times more than I specified.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the previous Elac (model EA101EQ-G) and am overall quite pleased.

However instead of using an included microphone for equalization (like the M33, cheap add/on PW/Link, and nearly all AV receivers), my Elac uses my phone's built in mic for EQ. This subjectively appears a lot less precise and subject to greater variations to me. However, the EQ is simple and it does clearly make a positive improvement.

I am like the OP surprised this is not a more widely offered feature for 2 channel equipment.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the previous Elac (model EA101EQ-G) and am overall quite pleased.

However instead of using an included microphone for equalization (like the M33, cheap add/on PW/Link, and nearly all AV receivers), my Elac uses my phone's built in mic for EQ. This subjectively appears a lot less precise and subject to greater variations to me. However, the EQ is simple and it does clearly make a positive improvement.

I am like the OP surprised this is not a more widely offered feature for 2 channel equipment.
Great idea. The error of margin in measuring speakers in a domestic space is way more than the microphone measurement errors. A calibrated microphone certainly has its use but not in speaker measurement in a domestic space. Besides, those included microphones are not calibrated. Using a smartphone's microphone instead of an external microphone is a no brainer.

I am liking Elac more and more. Clever engineering.

Top Bottom